First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
Occupation
Biomedical tech
Anyone have a recommendation for better weather stripping / adhesive promotion? I installed mine in 60 degree weather, applied weight to it overnight, installed the tonneau, it rained, and it has already lost it's stick...
I’m on my 3rd set. I can’t get it to stick for more than a few days. I’ve used the 3m promoter as well, still no luck.
Sponsored

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Sting Gray Sport S
Occupation
Software Engineer
I've heard good thing about 3M 4298 Adhesion Promoter. I haven't tried it myself - yet, but I ordered some for a couple upcoming projects. I used a hair dryer on high heat this weekend to warm both the bed rail and weather strip as I applied it for my tonneau install. I found it helpful on a long run like that to have the wife hold the hair dryer as we very, very slowly apply the weather strip. The hair dryer trick has worked well putting/keeping things stuck to metal and plastic surfaces over the years for me. If that trick doesn't work with the Mopar bedliner then I'll do both the 4298 and hair dryer next time.
I’m on my 3rd set. I can’t get it to stick for more than a few days. I’ve used the 3m promoter as well, still no luck.
I can't remember the contact point of the tonneau and the weatherstrip at the moment but could the weatherstrip be applied to the tonneau instead?

kad's_Glad

First Name
Rufus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mojave - Sting Gray
Occupation
Retired
I can't remember the contact point of the tonneau and the weatherstrip at the moment but could the weatherstrip be applied to the tonneau instead?
That's a very interesting thought. There is weather strip attached to the underside of the left and right side rails from the factory so if there is enough surface area across the front I can't see why it would work (famous last words). Worse case one might need to use rubber cement to adhere to the underside of the factory gasket. I'll have to take a look tonight.

Mdeeter

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
Occupation
Biomedical tech
Idk how well you can see this but it looks like the only place I really need to seal is right above the side rail. The rest sits flat on that bulkhead. I’m tempted to try black silicon. I wish it would all lay flat on the bulkhead. Not sure why it doesn’t.

AE63C6A2-0EBB-4D9B-BA07-4743003F961C.jpeg

Sponsored

nas4a

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport S Diesel
Idk how well you can see this but it looks like the only place I really need to seal is right above the side rail. The rest sits flat on that bulkhead. I’m tempted to try black silicon. I wish it would all lay flat on the bulkhead. Not sure why it doesn’t.

AE63C6A2-0EBB-4D9B-BA07-4743003F961C.jpeg
I have that same gap. I didn’t even use any weatherstripping on the side rails. They are nice and tight. It’s the gap along the bulkhead, and just like yours, it’s worse by the edges. A heat gun helped the main seal flap down in the middle, but it’s physically lifted up on the sides. My weather stripping blew out on my first long road trip. I have Line-X sprayed in liner and I think it’ll be impossible to get it to stay there unless I physically attach the stripping with something.

Mdeeter

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
Occupation
Biomedical tech
I have that same gap. I didn’t even use any weatherstripping on the side rails. They are nice and tight. It’s the gap along the bulkhead, and just like yours, it’s worse by the edges. A heat gun helped the main seal flap down in the middle, but it’s physically lifted up on the sides. My weather stripping blew out on my first long road trip. I have Line-X sprayed in liner and I think it’ll be impossible to get it to stay there unless I physically attach the stripping with something.
I was thinking about applying some black silicon just underneath the rail and bulkhead Area and calling It good enough. The seal won’t stick. Mine fly off as well.

kad's_Glad

First Name
Rufus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mojave - Sting Gray
Occupation
Retired
That's a very interesting thought. There is weather strip attached to the underside of the left and right side rails from the factory so if there is enough surface area across the front I can't see why it would work (famous last words). Worse case one might need to use rubber cement to adhere to the underside of the factory gasket. I'll have to take a look tonight.
Well there is enough surface area under the front gasket for a weather strip to be applied directly to it. I think I’ll leave well enough alone until what’s there comes loose. Then I’ll try sticking the new strip to the underside of the bulkhead gasket.

And just for clarity, there is a thin rubber like gasket applied at the factory on the underside of the left at right rails. That’s what I was talking about above. It isn’t anything we put on during installation.

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Sting Gray Sport S
Occupation
Software Engineer
Ok, so I did some work on my tonneau today. My Gladiator did not have threads on the bulkhead and I didn't like the jack nuts Bak provided so I replaced the jack nuts with some rivet nuts. I also purchased this foam weatherstrip and it immediately stuck 3x better than what Bak provided. I'll take some pictures tomorrow but I'm happy for the moment. Let's see if it lasts. I definitely think you could add some weatherstrip to the tonneau side instead of the bulkhead but I'm going to give this a try first.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MZHXIY6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How did everyone position their tonneau? I lined up tonneau (not the rubber but the harder surface) with the rail at the bulkhead side but it overhangs the rail at the tailgate end by 1/2" or so. The weatherstrip on the tailgate end looks like it sits inside the bed and not on top the tailgate. Definitely an area for water to enter.

nas4a

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport S Diesel
I was thinking about applying some black silicon just underneath the rail and bulkhead Area and calling It good enough. The seal won’t stick. Mine fly off as well.
I'd be curious how this turns out of you try this. I feel like silicon could be a good choice because it'll stick, but if you really wanted to pull it off, it would probably come off pretty clean.

Sponsored

sully09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Occupation
Lawyer
Can anyone recommend bed cleats/tie down loops that fit in these T-slots on these rails? I have tried two different ones off Amazon and they are both too big.

nas4a

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport S Diesel
So I tried something yesterday to resolve the gap at the cab edge of the cover. I got some of this FROST KING EXPANDING WEATHER STRIPPING. This stuff is pretty cool. It compresses and expands a lot more than most weather stripping. Per the package, it compresses down to 1/4", and expands up to 1". It's also a lot denser foam, so I don't feel like it'll hold water.

To install, I actually put it on upside down - that is, I unbolted the tonneau from the side-rails, and flipped it up so I could put the adhesive on the flat, smooth cover rail instead of my Line-x covered bed. I figured this would help adhesion in two ways - first, it's much smoother, and second, it keeps the adhesive at the TOP, not along the bed rail where the water would wear down the adhesion.

Once I installed it and re-bolted the cover down, the foam compressed about 1/2 of the way, which lead to a nice really tight seal. I also managed to compress a little piece by hand and slip it in where the rails ended to fill that gap in too. TBD on how it fares longer term, but it's way better than the stripping that came with the cover, and better than most of what I've found so far.

RichDSport

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Rubicon, Mini
Think I’m going to try this cover, since it appears to work with the Yakima Overhaul rack in the T-slots. RealTruck apparently is not on the forum lately, so I will use the chat feature to see if I can get a discount. In Colorado, I’m more worried about dust than rain. I would just use plastic boxes to store items.

cooperjet

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave 06 Mini Cooper S
Think I’m going to try this cover, since it appears to work with the Yakima Overhaul rack in the T-slots. RealTruck apparently is not on the forum lately, so I will use the chat feature to see if I can get a discount. In Colorado, I’m more worried about dust than rain. I would just use plastic boxes to store items.
I think there was an issue with the Yakima rack. It seems like the inside of the mount overlapped the seal on the cover. Search around and I’m sure you’ll find the post talking about it.