Sponsored

danimal2000

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
what are people using for a brake controller? mopar or other?
i installed the mopar one myself, it was pretty straightforward, almost too easy, i had the wiring harness already there so didn't have to run anything all the way to the hitch. so wondering if anyone did the same and how well it works. Really happy with the clean, integrated look of it.
Sponsored

Joe Dillard

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT Mojave, '91 YJ Wrangler, '17 Ram 3500 CTD
Occupation
DoD Contractor
Anyone have anything to share about towing with the manual. Have a manual mojave on the way.
I have a '21 manual tranny Mojave and towed with it for the first time this past Monday.

It's on a 2" AEV spacer lift, 37" tires, and I have not regeared the axles yet - which IMO sucks in many ways. This will be remedied soon as I plan on installing 5.13's and locking the front.

I picked up a new HEAVY (~2,600#) 20' 10,000# GVW equipment trailer so that I could tow my 1 ton YJ rock crawler, plus either a Honda SXS, Yamaha 700 Kodiak quad, or the Gladiator.

Although the trailer was empty with exception of a spare tire, the Gladiator did NOT like towing this beast geared as it is, which probably goes without saying.

I have a Bass Tracker Pro Glide V16' aluminum boat that I'll occasionally use the Gladiator to tow with.

As far as the new trailer goes, I have a Ram CTD dually for tow slut duties that'll tow the new trailer & whatever junk I put on it, plus it's Lance slide-in camper.

IMG_3600.JPG

IMG_3607.jpg

IMG_2767.JPG

Mr.volleyball13

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 gladiaor
I have a '21 manual tranny Mojave and towed with it for the first time this past Monday.

It's on a 2" AEV spacer lift, 37" tires, and I have not regeared the axles yet - which IMO sucks in many ways. This will be remedied soon as I plan on installing 5.13's and locking the front.

I picked up a new HEAVY (~2,600#) 20' 10,000# GVW equipment trailer so that I could tow my 1 ton YJ rock crawler, plus either a Honda SXS, Yamaha 700 Kodiak quad, or the Gladiator.

Although the trailer was empty with exception of a spare tire, the Gladiator did NOT like towing this beast geared as it is, which probably goes without saying.

I have a Bass Tracker Pro Glide V16' aluminum boat that I'll occasionally use the Gladiator to tow with.

As far as the new trailer goes, I have a Ram CTD dually for tow slut duties that'll tow the new trailer & whatever junk I put on it, plus it's Lance slide-in camper.

Jeep Gladiator First Tow with the Mojave - Report IMG_2767.JPG

Your jeep looks awesome. I'm looking to put the same AEV 2" lift kit and to run 37" tires as well. Was originally thinking 35", but from everyone's advice is to go big so there is no regret of wanting bigger. Sounds like gearing with be a must have in order to make the manual work for the larger tires and any sort of towing. I have seen a few videos of guys with lifts and 37 with the automatic towing. Looks like they are able to tow, however they never leave 6th and it's reving through the roof. How does it drive without towing with the lift and 37's? Have you read or talk to any with thr 5.13 and a manual to see how it helps the performance?

Louie4

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 1993 Jeep YJ
Occupation
Injanir
Joe’s Gladiator is pretty sweet

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
My 2020 Sport S non maxtow handles my boat at approx. 4500 pounds with out a problem. I also pull a 18' enclosed trailer with a 12" raised roof. The trailer doe no weigh as much as the boat but the wind load is a lot more. No problems pulling ,pulling the trailer I average 12-13 MPG the boat 14-15.

Sponsored

Mr.volleyball13

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 gladiaor
My 2020 Sport S non maxtow handles my boat at approx. 4500 pounds with out a problem. I also pull a 18' enclosed trailer with a 12" raised roof. The trailer doe no weigh as much as the boat but the wind load is a lot more. No problems pulling ,pulling the trailer I average 12-13 MPG the boat 14-15.
Is your Sport S a manual?

Last edited:

antwon412

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, JT Mojave
Enroute to Moab currently with a group of family.
Mojave is fully loaded with a bed load of coolers, tools, chairs, food, etc.

Flat towing the TJ which so has stuff in it.
I’m getting 10mpg.
Not great, but not unexpected. Any slight incline and it drops to 5mpg. And it’s at 6k rpm often.

Jeep Gladiator First Tow with the Mojave - Report E32BC358-4CF9-417C-ADF6-DB7DC22AF9F6
Jeep Gladiator First Tow with the Mojave - Report 297F9DDA-5307-445C-AA62-9F2D7E866112

Joe Dillard

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
DoD Contractor
Your jeep looks awesome. I'm looking to put the same AEV 2" lift kit and to run 37" tires as well. Was originally thinking 35", but from everyone's advice is to go big so there is no regret of wanting bigger. Sounds like gearing with be a must have in order to make the manual work for the larger tires and any sort of towing. I have seen a few videos of guys with lifts and 37 with the automatic towing. Looks like they are able to tow, however they never leave 6th and it's reving through the roof. How does it drive without towing with the lift and 37's? Have you read or talk to any with thr 5.13 and a manual to see how it helps the performance?
It's tolerable in 1st to 4th as is, but it's certainly not ideal at all. There's very little acceleration in 5th or 6th unless going downhill.

Yes, I've spoken face to face with a number of folks with the manual, 37's and 5.13's or 4.88's. Plus I've read numerous threads/posts here set up the same.

For where the Gladiator will be wheeled in the not too distant future, 5.13's and I'll either install a Rubi case or most likely an Atlas will need to be installed due to the crawl ratio I'm building towards.

Joe Dillard

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
DoD Contractor
Joe’s Gladiator is pretty sweet
Thanks Louie. :) I plan on putting the Gladiator on the new trailer & towing it with the Ram with it's camper on it too to see how it does.

I'll be running a 2.5" x 1/2" thick x 57" extension and electrical pigtail from the Ram's Class V receiver to be able to tow with the camper installed.

Sponsored

Mr.volleyball13

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 gladiaor
It's tolerable in 1st to 4th as is, but it's certainly not ideal at all. There's very little acceleration in 5th or 6th unless going downhill.

Yes, I've spoken face to face with a number of folks with the manual, 37's and 5.13's or 4.88's. Plus I've read numerous threads/posts here set up the same.

For where the Gladiator will be wheeled in the not too distant future, 5.13's and I'll either install a Rubi case or most likely an Atlas will need to be installed due to the crawl ratio I'm building towards.
Thanks Joe. Glad its tolerable. I'm planning on lifting and adding tires as soon as it arrives (crossing fingers it won't be the 3 months the dealership said it may take). Sounds like I can get away not regearing right away which is good.
Joe when you lifted, did you add a geometry correction brackets or controls arms?

Joe Dillard

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
DoD Contractor
Joe when you lifted, did you add a geometry correction brackets or controls arms?
You're welcome.

I waited a little before deciding which route to take because I wanted to drive it under various conditions prior to making up my mind.

I went with the Mopar LCA's & very pleased with them. They are ~1/4" longer than stock, no adjustments & super easy to install.

Shipping was fast too. The website mentioned ~10 days before shipping. I got them in about three days.

Marlinvx

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTD, 2022 Audi Q3 S line
Occupation
Retired Navy, current Engineer
Sport S, max tow, gas engine, auto, airbagged rear, weight distributing hitch, brake controller. Towed this 24ft trailer from Illinois back to KC, MO. 7.5 ft ceiling, 8ft wide. Had two polaris rzr trails inside, no gear. Trailer weighs 3000, rzrs about 800 each. Well within the weight limit.
Did great, hung out in 6th gear most of the time, at 65mph, got around 10 mpg.
Only problem was when semis passed me and it would pull me all over the place, truck is just too small for a trailer footprint that large. I give it 3 out of 5 stars, would not do again.
Jeep Gladiator First Tow with the Mojave - Report FB_IMG_1644259895095

What I normally tow, 7x18 trailer, around 1300lbs, KRX is about 2400 lbs. I get 10-11 mpg. Ordered my diesel last week...tongue weight with this setup is right at 350 lbs (yes, I do have a tongue scale) Tows this like a champ, 5 out 5 stars, would do again. :)
Jeep Gladiator First Tow with the Mojave - Report 20211105_181020
Sponsored