John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
As my truck sits now, and the last 3 times I drove it -
Stock rear springs
Stock rear shocks
Tires at 37 psi at 60-65 degrees (last check today)
Lightest pair of Rubicon springs up front
Fox (Rubicon) shocks up front.
Front bumper put back to stock.
Rides and handles about the best it ever has. Steering is better than it was with the weight on the front and the max tow springs and rubicon rear shocks.
It will be interesting to see how it does 100% back to stock.
When I pull out of the garage now I don't have that rear-end bounce as it dropped that 3/4" from the garage floor to the driveway.
I don’t understand how my Overland has so much stiffer springs now and still rides great. You feel the road more and the steering is more precise and then handling feels more controlled, but when you hit a big bump it’s never jarring.

I sit on my tailgate a lot. I’m 6’1”/200 lbs. With my stock Overland springs, I had to slightly hop up to sit down and the suspension would give a little bit before rising back up. With the LE springs, I have to hop up another inch higher and it barely gives at all.

I don’t remember the number on my springs, but front and rear are the highest number available.
Sponsored

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I was not a fan of the stock ride in my Max Tow when I got it. Last year I got the Terflex Falcon shocks (Series 3.3 Piggyback) and have zero regrets. I would get the bump steer like you describe, but also doing highway speeds on curvy mountain roads felt like I was suddenly going to tip over... I hated it. I also got the steering stabilizer from them at the time, but really, with 33" tires I don't think that ended up being necessary. The shocks are much more expensive, but definitely an improvement over the Sport or Rubicon shocks. It sucks to have to spend money to make the $45k+ truck fun to drive... but I do love it a ton now. I can get it stiff for the highway (thats what she said) or soft for fire roads and washboards. I got the shortest which will let me put up to a 1.5" lift... which I may do at some point if I want 35s.

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Hey All,

I read through a lot of the posts regarding the possible suspension fixes. My glad on the highway feels almost dangerous on the highway when I hit a pump. The shocks almost remind me of bad shocks where they have no rebound and just keep bobbing up and down. Was in middle lane, hit a a series of pumps and almost ended in the slow lane lol. Little over exaggeration but, you get the idea. Front end and back end feel this way. looking under the rear there is a swear bar installed.

Jeep details:
2022 Jeep Glad willy
miles - 656

customer preferred package 24W
44 front an rear axle
stock tires - LT255/75R 17C OWL On/Off Road tires
stock wheels - 17-inch x 7.5 inch black aluminum
Tire pressure - 38 in all four PSI but its warm today so will double check
Shocks - standard from what I can tell from the paper work

Did the Hellwig Swaybar really help others with this problem? I am thinking of making an appointment with the detailer to see what they think about the issue and how to fix it.
Trade it back in on a sport non Willy’s or Overland and don’t look back, you won’t have anymore of said issues

OP
OP
vital04

vital04

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Willy
Occupation
SM
Thanks all for the great great information. I am going to try a few of the minor things like lowering the pressure on the tires and few other things and will report back. Far as breaking the bank I think I am almost there already lol. My wish list will take some time to go through. I do love the jeep and everything it offers it being my first one. I came over from a ranger and need the bed and tow capacity for different toys and getting in the pits. will do some experimenting and report back.. To the question about the roads. I am in RI and the roads are terrible!

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t understand how my Overland has so much stiffer springs now and still rides great. You feel the road more and the steering is more precise and then handling feels more controlled, but when you hit a big bump it’s never jarring.

I sit on my tailgate a lot. I’m 6’1”/200 lbs. With my stock Overland springs, I had to slightly hop up to sit down and the suspension would give a little bit before rising back up. With the LE springs, I have to hop up another inch higher and it barely gives at all.

I don’t remember the number on my springs, but front and rear are the highest number available.
Yes, hard to understand - because it's physics. The lighter truck on stiff springs will result in a bump causing the truck to move up - it's lacking inertia the heavier truck would have so the axle, spring and truck would move upward more as a unit where a lighter spring would flex and compress before it was able to move the truck upward.

But Rubicon springs can't really be compared to max tow springs, either.
Max tow springs are a lot shorter than Overland springs and yet - the truck sits at the same height with the max tow springs.
My front Rubicon springs are the lightest they used. Couldn't find a heavier set.

I guess you have to define "Stiff"............ and then it's like anything else, there's a point of going backwards. You reach a peak and then anything beyond that makes things worse, not better.

Jeep Gladiator Riding on the highway, hitting bumps, white knuckles at times 1656510120839

Jeep Gladiator Riding on the highway, hitting bumps, white knuckles at times 1656510776052

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Trade it back in on a sport non Willy’s or Overland and don’t look back, you won’t have anymore of said issues
Or just swap suspension.

22_Sarge_Sport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S
Unrelated, but how the hell does a Willys have the same MSRP as my Overland and be missing several options I have. Have prices gone up several thousand dollars in two years?
The MSRP on mine went up $1400 during the 8 weeks from build to delivery this year!

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
Just an fyi i had a 2022 diesel sport s and the suspension was way too soft.

My max tow shocks and springs felt stiffer.

That said I had the issues you described but I also ended up with a squeaky rear drivers shock. Dealer could not replicate. I took the shock off and its dampening was trashed first 1/3 of the stroke.

I replaced with a metal cloak 3.5" with rocksport shocks and its like riding on a cloud.

For sure check your tires but also bounce on the bumpers and see if your shocks are toast. I killed one at less than 3000 miles.

Sponsored

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just an fyi i had a 2022 diesel sport s and the suspension was way too soft.

My max tow shocks and springs felt stiffer.

That said I had the issues you described but I also ended up with a squeaky rear drivers shock. Dealer could not replicate. I took the shock off and its dampening was trashed first 1/3 of the stroke.

I replaced with a metal cloak 3.5" with rocksport shocks and its like riding on a cloud.

For sure check your tires but also bounce on the bumpers and see if your shocks are toast. I killed one at less than 3000 miles.
What’s wrong with soft, why prefer stiff?

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
No giggity intended, I’ve always preferred my jeeps suspension on the stiffer side. Ive rode in a mess of different jeeps and the softer suspensions have more body roll and feel sorta like a 70s Cadillac to me in how they bounce. The stiffer suspensions make me feel more connected to the road and stable in all conditions.

Just my $0.02

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No giggity intended, I’ve always preferred my jeeps suspension on the stiffer side. Ive rode in a mess of different jeeps and the softer suspensions have more body roll and feel sorta like a 70s Cadillac to me in how they bounce. The stiffer suspensions make me feel more connected to the road and stable in all conditions.

Just my $0.02
Thanks, bud

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Or just swap suspension.
Right. Granted, I got a smokin deal, but I paid $150 for a brand new LE shocks and springs. Control arms and all too, but didn’t bother because they’re the same.

Hell, if someone wants my Overland take off suspension, it’s at my parents house in Atlanta and I’d give it away for free. It’s just taking up space. Local pick up only.

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
Stiffer dampening mitigates the exact issues described.

The cons are a stiffer ride on expansion joints and mild bumps.

You cant really have both unless you have high and low speed adjustable compression and rebound like a motorcycle. Or a bypass shock.

The lift I ended up with is firmer but only just so. Comparable to rubicon fox shocks but att 30% firmer dampening. They are the metal cloak rocksport shocks.

More expensive shocks can give you adjustability to your liking but generally stiffer all around.
Sponsored