Sponsored

How do Gladiators handle on the highway?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I guess I have driven Grand Cherokees and sports cars so much that the steering in the WK2 didn't bother me. I have owned six grand cherokees. The 2001 WJ Limited with the 4.7 is a close favorite to the 2016 WK2 SRT. I have thought about trading my JTR for a new Grand Cherokee at some point because I don't use the Gladiator for anything other than transportation to and from work these days. I just thought the YJ i had was capable off road until I lifted a WJ with Quadradrive.
Yeah, it's a big part what you get used to as far as steering.
After driving my JT so much, my SX4 steering actually feels loose.

There's a few lifted and nicely outfitted WJs around here. Can't say if they get used off-road, perhaps, as I've seen more than one of them quite covered with mud. There's some lifted XJs around here, too. Many of those are pretty rusty, but there's still some nice ones, decently equipped for mud or snow from what I see.
They are amazingly capable vehicles, the XJ and WJ.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bluefalcon

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Fed Officer
Be honest. Asking about stock not modified Gladiators. I was fairly unimpressed when I test drove a Gladiator on the highway. It reminded me of a VW van getting pushed around in crosswinds. Off the highway it felt like any other decent modern vehicle... no issues. But on the highway at 75 mph I wondered how much I would enjoy a 5 hour drive... or not.
Yep... gonna have to drive the brick

image000000.jpg

Snazzberrymojave21

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Depends on your perspective... If you've driven other Wranglers then this is a big improvement. If you're comparing it to other vehicles then yeah it's just a Jeep thing;)
Couldn’t have said it better myself. If you are used to low noise aerodynamic vehicles its going to take time to get used to. A bit of a shock. If you are coming from a wrangler 2 or 4 door from any year it’s and improvement. Once you get use to flaws and customize it to your liking you will love it

hickman785

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Security
I have found that to be a big factor with all SFA vehicles I have owned. I use a very light grip on rough patches such as bridge expansion joints. The steering wheel jerks a little under my hand but the vehicle stays straight. With a tight grip, the steering wheel stays in one spot but the vehicle jerks sideways.

Mopar LCAs made a big difference in handling on my stock height Rubicon. It made it a lot less touchy and jerky on the road.

Recently I put Fox 2.0 shocks (not the Mopar ones) on it to get rid of some of the wallowy feeling from the stock red shocks. The stock handling was a little like when hauling a heavy load with a high center of gravity; it as not as controlled as I would like it to be. They made some difference but I think the rears still need more damping. I suspect Bilsteins would have been better for this purpose but I prefer progressive vs digressive shocks for being more compliant on chop and tightening up for the big hits, vs the other way around.
Do the 2.0s smooth out alot of the harshness in the road like bumps, cracks, bridge transitions?

Im not a fan of digressive valved shocks but I'm not sure progressive valving would make enough difference to buy new shocks.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My Overland JT with stock shocks up front (new replacements) and Eibach shocks on the rear, Synergy front springs and stock rear springs actually rides better and handles those bumps, cracks and bridge transitions better than a 2021 Grand Cherokee Limited.

Sponsored

Dog Dad

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler ,2023Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
I have made 2 trips from Windsor Ontario to Florida this year,the first time pulling a closed in trailer,and the second time without,and both trips I was very satisfied with my Gladiator.

Badunit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon, 1997 TJ
Do the 2.0s smooth out alot of the harshness in the road like bumps, cracks, bridge transitions?

Im not a fan of digressive valved shocks but I'm not sure progressive valving would make enough difference to buy new shocks.
The red shocks that came stock on my Rubicon and the Fox 2.0's both handle bumps. cracks, etc without much harshness in my opinion (but the red shocks were under-damped). I do not know if the stock red shocks are progressive or digressive, just weak. I did not try Bilsteins so I cannot compare the Fox 2.0's to that popular digressive shock. I know what Bilstein 4600's did to my Ram, though. They made it so I felt every bump. It was well controlled, every bump was a quick thump and done, but it was not a pleasant ride. I suspect they were digressive.

aevgladitorrubi

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Med Sales
Vehicle Showcase
Be honest. Asking about stock not modified Gladiators. I was fairly unimpressed when I test drove a Gladiator on the highway. It reminded me of a VW van getting pushed around in crosswinds. Off the highway it felt like any other decent modern vehicle... no issues. But on the highway at 75 mph I wondered how much I would enjoy a 5 hour drive... or not.
Stock is too soft-- once you get stiffer springs, stiffer shocks and other access like geo correction brackets and adjustable steering stabilzer and the appropriate tire pressure... fantastic!

SREAD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
retired
When I drove my new Mojave home from the dealer having to cross Houston from one side to the other all on I45 and 59, I got home and said WTF did I just do? Just spent close to 60k on the first brand new car (truck) I have ever purchased and it drives like this? Coulda spent a few more grand and bought a new C8 vette.
Did a little reading, went out and checked the tire pressures - sure enough - over 40 psi all the way around. Dropped to about 34 up front - well, that's a little better...still not a vette,or even a 350Z - my previous daily. Did some more reading - went and bought some Mopar lower control arms...now we're getting some where. No longer paranoid I'm gonna get pulled over for a DWI every time I get on the highway. It's not bad now - not great, but not bad - unless its windy out that day.
Or until I get in and drive my 20 year old Suburban with 200 k on it and remember what it is like to cruise in comfort on the highway. And I really miss having a v-8. So much could be forgiven then. Maybe I shoulda got that vette after all.
Nah - too late now. I'm stuck in this thing with the way the values are crashing , even though I got a pretty hefty discount off msrp.
Actually, I'm still enjoying it. Around town it is great and the "I can go anywhere I want " feeling is pretty cool. I forgot how handy it is having a smallish pickup around. If it makes it to the end of warranty without too many problems I'll reevaluate at that time and make a decision.

Sponsored

GWolgamott

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Person sitting in the office under the stairs, behind the bathrooms... dispensing unreliable advice based on questionable numbers
After driving my wife's renegade for over a month, I got used to tight steering and the quiet. I thought something wasn't right when I got my gladiator back from body shop. Then after a couple drives was like no this is normal...

Its the freeway speed road noise that gets to me, but otherwise i think it handles fine. It's just different out the door stock then most other vehicles. Soft springs and all. Its a get used to jeep thing. I like it bouncy off-road so it's a compromise to deal with feeling every small hump on the highway. If i didn't I'd have modified it by now to get rid of that.

BearFootSam

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Fed
I had a compass loaner and tesla model three last week while my JT was in the shop. The Model 3 felt like a sports car, sharp steering, firm suspension that felt harsh over rough roads. Though it felt precise, it was twitchy and nervous in a manner that was not relaxing to drive on wet mountain roads in pitch dark. Coming back to the JT the feeling is far more relaxed, both good and bad. The old iron steering box feels far more detached and agricultural than a typical road car. But whereas the Tesla was harsh on rough roads, driving the JT you get the sense of the body being isolated from the road more. Said another way, the Tesla I could feel reacting to every surface while in the JT I feel the suspension moving in response to the road, but not the road as much.

From a comfort perspective I prefer the JT. The driver's view is much better being both higher and having a great forward view through the broad windshield. I prefer the seating position as well; it is upright with your knees at a natural bend instead of stretched out in front. Seats are firm with good support and nice sculpting. The JT is more work to drive, you have to look after your line lest the truck wander, but it isn't tiring, it just reminds you that this is a classic truck design and not a crossover. You pay for it in fuel economy but if you have a destination that calls for 4WD or have a weeks' worth of luggage/gear it balances out. If the truck was awful to drive, we wouldn't have accrued 20k miles in a year. It's a nice place to be and feels like nothing else in a way that is endearing. That the truck can feel so rude and primitive in some respects while serving up creature comforts like heated leather and well laid out controls give it a charming quality.

I think that if you can call a vehicle charming it's special. A great number of vehicles are so unremarkable that the notion of character isn't applicable.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The JT is more work to drive, you have to look after your line lest the truck wander, but it isn't tiring, it just reminds you that this is a classic truck design and not a crossover
Mine is not bad that way. I have to watch it more in things like my wife's former Grand Cherokees and certain other vehicles than with my JT. I can actually look away and not worry about drifting into another lane or onto the shoulder. (that's caster and good tires working for me)
My wife's Wrangler with the shorter wheelbase is a bit more "twitchy" that way, the steering isn't as nice as my Gladiator. I'm fine with the JLU but the JT has far far better highway manners than the JLU has. The longer wheelbase helps, but I suspect tires are part of it (and I'm thinking of putting the longer LCAs on her Jeep)

JamesWyatt

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mojave
When I drove my new Mojave home from the dealer having to cross Houston from one side to the other all on I45 and 59, I got home and said WTF did I just do? Just spent close to 60k on the first brand new car (truck) I have ever purchased and it drives like this? Coulda spent a few more grand and bought a new C8 vette.
Did a little reading, went out and checked the tire pressures - sure enough - over 40 psi all the way around. Dropped to about 34 up front - well, that's a little better...still not a vette,or even a 350Z - my previous daily. Did some more reading - went and bought some Mopar lower control arms...now we're getting some where. No longer paranoid I'm gonna get pulled over for a DWI every time I get on the highway. It's not bad now - not great, but not bad - unless its windy out that day.
Or until I get in and drive my 20 year old Suburban with 200 k on it and remember what it is like to cruise in comfort on the highway. And I really miss having a v-8. So much could be forgiven then. Maybe I shoulda got that vette after all.
Nah - too late now. I'm stuck in this thing with the way the values are crashing , even though I got a pretty hefty discount off msrp.
Actually, I'm still enjoying it. Around town it is great and the "I can go anywhere I want " feeling is pretty cool. I forgot how handy it is having a smallish pickup around. If it makes it to the end of warranty without too many problems I'll reevaluate at that time and make a decision.
Same experience, though I was going to die. Went straight to Discount Tire and replaced the stock Falcon muds with BFG K02s in metric 35 size (E-rated). Night and day difference. The E-rated tires sure steer well on the highway. Ride is not overly harsh, but the Mojave shocks could be taking some of the hit. It's a truck after all.

Also for me, the highway sway is not just sensitive to high tire pressure but also low pressure. There is a sweet spot with my K02s that's right at 37 psi cold. More pressure and the ride is too harsh. Less pressure into the low 30s, and steering starts to get a little sloppier than I like. It might be worth trying bumping your psi up just a little to see if you maybe went too low.
Sponsored