First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Yep, no button because it's programmed to detect a load/trailer and remap the shifts accordingly.....

I wish I knew a good aftermarket tuner who could fix FCA's programming.
I think you’re being a little harsh in your criticism of the transmission. I’m sure Jeep will come out with a flash to improve the shift dynamics on the tranny. I’ve had one in my GC and it took a bit for Jeep to get it right..

But if you want to find someone to tune it let me suggest you contact GDE as these guys have been working on the Ecodiesel tune and the transmission for a bit and seem to be well regarded. They might be developing a tune for the JT...

https://www.greendieselengineering....rokee-EcoDiesel-Transmission-Tune/2_52.action
Sponsored

Whiplash2130

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F450, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Guy
Yep, no button because it's programmed to detect a load/trailer and remap the shifts accordingly.

Since April 2018 I've been complaining about FCA's terrible transmission programming on JL/JT. They got this world-class transmission design from ZF, and then the first thing they do is have their own monkeys screw with it and ruin it. It engine brakes WAY too aggressively, it holds 2nd or 3rd way too long when under heavily throttle and then releasing throttle, it clangs harshly on the 3-2 and 2-3 shift when reapplying throttle from a slow-down, it doesn't use 1st gear when it should on hill climbs, etc. The hardware is fantastic, the software is atrocious.

I wish I knew a good aftermarket tuner who could fix FCA's programming.
When I get my Gladiator, I intend to get a Edge Products Pulsar in line programmer. I hear good things about it and was very happy with their unit on my GMC diesel Topkick. Good Luck!

Puda32

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Holy smokes! I had a revelation today regarding a possible "problem" I'm currently waiting on answers from my service dept about. Aside from an annoying harmonic type of vibration at specific highway speeds, I've been complaining about very abrupt downshifts, and less than smooth upshifts while driving around. I do not beat on my cars when daily driving, so it's most noticeable when slowing to stop signs, lights, cars in my way, anytime I need to brake essentially. So anyone with the max tow package, I'm wondering if this is just poor planning on Jeep's part? My F-150 had a button to press for "tow/haul mode". This would make the trans downshift the second I pressed the brake to aid in stopping, and would adjust upshifts to rev higher for max power. The jeep doesn't have a button....so I'm wondering if the software loaded into the max tow is different than the regular sport S I test drove before ordering mine, which would explain why I didn't notice the obnoxious head jerking shifts?? Any input?
I have the same issues and posted a while back on the fact that it was Max Tow owners complaining about it! Everyone who is making you think this is not a problem is wrong. If it takes more than 2,000 miles to "learn" how to shift itself properly I would have liked to have known that up front, I wouldn't have bought it. I would expect a vehicle such as this to be able to shift right out of the factory, what a crazy thought?!? I am scheduling to take mine in for another service, they already installed a flash they said they have had to use on 4 Gladiators so far. 2 more chances to fix it.

OP
OP
XJ2JTChris

XJ2JTChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S on 35's, Mopar 2" lift, `96 XJ, 97 ZJ, `99 Camaro LS1
I am scheduling to take mine in for another service, they already installed a flash they said they have had to use on 4 Gladiators so far. 2 more chances to fix it.
Interesting, please let us all know how it goes!

Godfadr

First Name
Godfadr
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.FredRewey.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Speaker, Author, Dude Who Likes Bacon
Vehicle Showcase
Holy smokes! I had a revelation today regarding a possible "problem" I'm currently waiting on answers from my service dept about. Aside from an annoying harmonic type of vibration at specific highway speeds, I've been complaining about very abrupt downshifts, and less than smooth upshifts while driving around. I do not beat on my cars when daily driving, so it's most noticeable when slowing to stop signs, lights, cars in my way, anytime I need to brake essentially. So anyone with the max tow package, I'm wondering if this is just poor planning on Jeep's part? My F-150 had a button to press for "tow/haul mode". This would make the trans downshift the second I pressed the brake to aid in stopping, and would adjust upshifts to rev higher for max power. The jeep doesn't have a button....so I'm wondering if the software loaded into the max tow is different than the regular sport S I test drove before ordering mine, which would explain why I didn't notice the obnoxious head jerking shifts?? Any input?
Do you have a soft top or hard top?

Sponsored

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
I have yet to see any real world confirmation that making a trailer connection activates a “tow” mode.
If indeed fact, can a dummy plug be made up that when inserted into the seven pin socket accomplishes this change? Might be handy towing with a trailer using the flat pin connector....
You can probably confirm this if the ESS does not activate when you put the plug in.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I have yet to see any real world confirmation that making a trailer connection activates a “tow” mode.
If indeed fact, can a dummy plug be made up that when inserted into the seven pin socket accomplishes this change? Might be handy towing with a trailer using the flat pin connector....
What I read, can't remember where, is the transmission automatically makes adjustments based on the demand (load) placed upon it.

The trailer connection test would be easy to try. Just get a set of the cheap tow lights, plug them in, set them in the back of the truck, and take it for a drive.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You can probably confirm this if the ESS does not activate when you put the plug in.
I have not read anywhere that connecting a trailer deactivates the ESS, although it is a possibility.

I know that the ESS deactivates if the engine gets too hot, or the driver's seat belt is not buckled. It also doesn't appear to go active after starting, until the vehicle starts moving.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
You'll have to search TFL's videos on YouTube. In one of them, they were talking to a Jeep engineer at a press event and they specifically asked why there is no "tow/haul" button like we're used to, and the engineer said it's because the Gladiator is designed to detect a load and automatically switch shift programming.

He did not say how it does this. Perhaps it uses the inertia sensor that the off-road display uses? Perhaps it uses a signal off the rear brake proportioning valve? Maybe it just uses the signal at the Bargman outlet on the bumper? He didn't say. But he did specifically state that the truck knows that if a trailer is connected, it's time to adjust the shift program.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I believe that engineer interview is where I heard that it automatically adjusts. I believe it is referenced in the article talking about how the Gladiator got its tow rating.

MetalguyH

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Fabrication
New owner (Sport w/max tow), did anyone ever get a solution to this? Any dealers offer any help? I have the exact same issue. I previously owned a 2020 JLUR with a manual (so same axles and brakes) and it did not have this issue whatsoever. It is definitely the auto trans that is causing it.

My theory is possibly the computer is picking up the fact that I have a trailer brake controller installed and it assumes I am towing, so it turns on the Tow/Haul settings even without a trailer plugged in. I am going to test is this weekend by unpluging the brake controller and seeing if it solves it. My Wrangler had the exact same controller installed and did not have this issue (since it was a manual).

One note... while towing it is perfect. Absolutely no complaints. Its just unloaded I have the issue.

Thanks!
Sponsored