Changing Fog lights to amber?

CAL32

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Sting Gray/Toyota 4Runner Limited Pearl White
They're fantastic...promise - Jeep JL, Sport/Sport-S, Squadron-R SAE, Fog Pocket Kits (Wide Cornering). Contact Paul McGrath at Baja Designs for questions. He is very easy to work with and knows his stuff.
I just ordered a set of the BD's...thx for the pics they were helpful...I was between these and the KC Hilites G4 in Amber but after seeing the G4's they appear to shine more orange and don't seem as bright as the Squadron R-SAE. That being said I do prefer the "stockish look" of the KC G4's compared to the Baja Designs but I went with function over form in this case. How difficult was the install? I have a Sport S with a stock plastic bumper...

Greg75

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon LE, BMW M2 Competition, MBZ 560 SL, Ducati 851, Ducati 900 SS
Cool. You will really like the light from the BDs. I have the steel bumper. Install was very easy—plug-and-play, really. Can’t imagine it’s any different with the standard bumper.

Look forward to reading your take once you have them installed.

CAL32

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool. You will really like the light from the BDs. I have the steel bumper. Install was very easy—plug-and-play, really. Can’t imagine it’s any different with the standard bumper.

Look forward to reading your take once you have them installed.
These things make a HUGE difference. Very difficult to photograph or video the true difference but I would say probably 3-4 times brighter than my stock halogens. One downside is I had to change the DRL’s to just clear halogen bulbs from amber bc 3 different color lights up front were killing me. Aside from that these are worth it and super simple to install. All in it probably took me about 40 mins and I took my time. 2 days in and very happy, hope they hold up well to the weather.

25C96E7F-883A-448F-85AF-8A95F95ACCFB.jpeg

98F93734-A209-416E-9923-1D99346A2CFF.jpeg

Greg75

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon LE, BMW M2 Competition, MBZ 560 SL, Ducati 851, Ducati 900 SS
Knew you'd like them and have an easy time with the install. So glad you do and did. I Have run mine through heavy rain and snow without issue. Certain weather will not be a problem. Enjoy.

Sponsored

CAL32

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now I just need to get rid of my Orange side markers...throws the whole thing off color matching wise...I swapped out the Orange DRL with clear bulbs so the front DRL and directionals are now clear halogen matching the headlights but the Orange side markers need to be clear also...Since I refuse to pay $800 to do a complete LED headlight/Directional swap I contemplated just swapping the bulbs to LED since some people say they have had success with various types of LED's but it seems that most require a relay or something to stop light flickering or fast blinks. That being said the $6 I spent on clear halogen bulbs were a no brainer just to get the lights matching for now until I make a LED decision. The fogs give me enough additional light that I may not even swap out the Halogen Headlights so I'm going to run them like this for a while and see how "bad" it really is.

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!
Why go to amber? It's a fallacy that they actually do better. They look cool and a lot of companies make money marketing amber lights as better - but unless they are actually selective yellow lights......

Factory installed aren't worth much at all really but they are an "I feel better with them" thing so we all get them when we order the vehicle.

This guy is an automotive lighting consultant -
https://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/fog_lamps/fog_lamps.html

Good (and legal) fog lamps may produce white or Selective Yellowlight—it is the beam pattern, not the light colour, that defines a fog lamp—and most of them use tungsten-halogen bulbs though there are some legitimate (and a lot of illegitimate) LED fog lamps beginning to appear. Xenon or HID bulbs are inherently unsuitable for use in fog lamps, and blue or other-colored lights are also the wrong choice.

The fog lamps' job is to show you the edges of the road, the lane markings, and the immediate foreground. When used in combination with the headlamps, good fog lamps weight the overall beam pattern towards the foreground so that even though there may be a relatively high level of upward stray light from the headlamps causing glareback from the fog or falling rain or snow, there will be more foreground light than usual without a corresponding increase in upward stray light, giving back some of the vision you lose to precipitation.

What is "selective yellow" light?

It is a particular kind of yellow light that was required from all road illumination lamps on vehicles in France for many years. Light appears (more or less) white when it contains a mix of all the colours—red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet. By removing (filtering) the blue, indigo, and violet out of white light, we get selective yellow light. It is not the same as the more orange colour called "yellow" or "amber" used for vehicle turn signals, side marker lights, and (in some countries) clearance and front position or "parking" lights.
So, to the best of your knowledge, are there any "selective yellow" fog lights for JL/JTs on the market? Only ones I could find (cusory google search) that use the term "selective yellow" were Rigids.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
So, to the best of your knowledge, are there any "selective yellow" fog lights for JL/JTs on the market? Only ones I could find (cusory google search) that use the term "selective yellow" were Rigids.
I'm trying these out, there hasn't been any real bad weather yet but they worked great a couple of weeks ago when the snow was blowing and high beams weren't cutting it (and there was too much traffic to leave highs on anyway)
https://www.diodedynamics.com/ss3-led-fog-light-kit-for-2020-2021-jeep-gladiator.html
Their description is selective yellow:
White or Yellow. All Stage Series LED pods are available in a cool white or selective yellow color. The white is a 6000K color temperature, which is a true cool white output, and matches most factory LED lighting. The selective yellow is a 3000K color temperature, great for high contrast in poor weather or a distinctive look on the road.

Jeep Gladiator Changing Fog lights to amber? new-fog-lights

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Love my Diode Dynamics Sport SS3 in amber. Plug and play. Jist remember to get the right mounting kit.
Jeep Gladiator Changing Fog lights to amber? IMG_20210915_123203800
Jeep Gladiator Changing Fog lights to amber? IMG_20210910_003423486

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Love my Diode Dynamics Sport SS3 in amber. Plug and play. Jist remember to get the right mounting kit.
I had to get the kit for the Overland plastic bumper even though I have a steel bumper because my bumper came with adapter brackets, saving me 50 bucks. I didn't have to get the mounting kit for steel bumper.
I also have the sport in selective yellow. Well-built lights.

Jeep Gladiator Changing Fog lights to amber? 20211231_104719

Jeep Gladiator Changing Fog lights to amber? 20211231_104703
Sponsored