Sponsored

0 Degrees - can’t plug in

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Keep in mind the OP has a diesel (this is the diesel subforum), things are a little different than a gasser in subzero temps. The diesel typically takes more juice to start and longer to warm up.
I understand, and I clarified with him on this earlier.

But the tranny, transfer, and differentials are the same and they get affected by cold temps also.
He asked me to get back to those items after I drove mine today since she sat in cold temps all weekend.

I've had several diesels in my past. I related to him that if started to buck and wheeze after starting to stay off the pedal and let it get to idle and warm up.
Sponsored

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland High Altitude Diesel
Occupation
Retired
Prior gen 3.0 in my 2016 started a few times @ -35C, sitting there for a week.
I would not have wanted to risk it any lower without being plugged in however.
So, winter fuel, not plugged in, no additives (as per the manual) and it started fine. Yes, it took a while to warm up but it would on a gasser at that temp.

This Gen 3 plugged in I would estimate could start and warm up quickly at -40C. Again, if you use top shelf fuel, it will already contain the full package of additives to start and run at -44C. We used to manufacture and consume 1/2 million litres of diesel a day and run diesel engines from 20 hp to 4000 hp at temps from Nov to March that ran from 0 to -50C. Fuel did not gel. Fuel will however “cloud” at about -43C which is a separation of base product. It won’t stop the engine from running, just not run efficiently.

So don’t waste money on fuel additives unless all you can find is crappy fuel.
All the major oil companies - Shell, Exxon, BP, Sunoco, publish fuel specs for winter and summer fuel. You can search online and see the results, as well as regionally.
As long as the cloud point on winter fuel is -40C or better you have good fuel.

The one thing about diesel in North America that could be improved is the cetane rating - similar to octane but it is the diesel equivalent. We average cetane 45 and in Europe it is 50-53.
This is like running premium fuel in a gasser except there are no downsides in a diesel, only upsides due to a more powerful and cleaner combustion.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Started off my morning at 20. Hit the remote start and she fired right up. This was with Dallas, TX diesel. Nothing added.

I’ll definitely be okay in CO winter blend.
Sponsored