0 Degrees - can’t plug in

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
I’m headed to CO this week.
I won’t be able to plug in anywhere.

Anything I should do so she’ll start up with no issues?

temps are forecast to be down to or near 0 for the low and 20 for the high.
Sponsored

OP
OP

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Okay, found answer in the manual. Imagine that? LOL

Cliff noted: down to 0, no issues.
p.151 in my manual

43B2C63A-764B-4E5F-A6F9-C7BA0AF2AB45.png

198BAFC1-BD72-494E-9BD6-6EAFF1F35698.png

E627A69B-00A7-4C59-B62C-964B0C6A5E2D.png

9E1EE169-CB08-4AF8-8FDF-2B38A79CE3A1.png

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
-37 Deg last year and -15 Deg this year when I was up in Minnesota and had zero issues. Other than my fingers not wanting to push the shutter button on my camera.🥶

Killroy Was Here

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Even though the winter blend diesel fuel has some anti-gel formulated into it out of the pump, it would be a good idea to get a bottle of anti-gel additive to mix with the fuel any time it is in the single digits, or colder. You won't be going anywhere in the morning if your fuel gels up overnight. Take that for what it's worth from a Class A CDL driver.

51Gbx2X6F5L._AC_SL1200_.jpg

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
Diesel 911 is always good to have on hand. It helps to get gelled fuel back to a liquid state.

Sponsored

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
I had a 2015 Ram 1500 diesel, earlier variant of the engine in the Gladiator - it started without difficulty all the way down to about -25f - and I have no reason to think that was the lower limit, that's just the coldest that I can specifically recall. Totally agree with the mentions of good fuel treatment. Definitely drain your water separator (if these still have those) in advance of significant cold weather driving, and make sure you change your fuel filter on schedule. If you are driving from TX, where they probably don't blend diesel for winter, or at least not too aggressively, try to run down tank pretty thoroughly empty during the trip and then only fuel up with a full tank once you are in "cold territory." They really do blend diesel significantly differently during winter months in winter areas (it's actually less great as fuel, it's essentially diluted with kerosene, but it is much more gel resistant). Refuel with the winter blend diesel (with the fuel treatment) when the truck is warm and you are still on the road, and while still having some distance to go, so the new winter-blend diesel circulates throughout the entire fuel system, including the return lines.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Try to park on the protected side of buildings, so wind doesn't hit the JT.

Even though everyone preaches against it nowadays, let her get warmed up. Make sure the oil is warm and the coolant is warm, before you start driving.

Besides that, drive her like you normally would.

The cold just hit here, so I'll find out tomorrow how the transmission and the transfer case and the differentials act.

OP
OP

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Try to park on the protected side of buildings, so wind doesn't hit the JT.

Even though everyone preaches against it nowadays, let her get warmed up. Make sure the oil is warm and the coolant is warm, before you start driving.

Besides that, drive her like you normally would.

The cold just hit here, so I'll find out tomorrow how the transmission and the transfer case and the differentials act.
Please report back, for sure.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Please report back, for sure.
Mine is a gasser. Shouldn't matter since the parts I mentioned are common to either.

I have had diesels in the past and I know what you're going through.

If she bucks and belches when you first start, don't touch the go pedal and see if it finally idles smooth.

Sponsored

OP
OP

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Mine is a gasser. Shouldn't matter since the parts I mentioned are common to either.

I have had diesels in the past and I know what you're going through.

If she bucks and belches when you first start, don't touch the go pedal and see if it finally idles smooth.
Thanks, will do.

it does have a 12v heater on fuel filter and the computer will not let engine crank until glow plugs have done their thing.

First fuel is Amarillo. Next stop, Trinidad, CO., this fueling stop should be good winter blend.
Next stop, Salida, I’ll add a little of the stuff y’all mentioned.

BEERviper

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator SS eco Diesel
Occupation
Real Estate
Thanks, will do.

it does have a 12v heater on fuel filter and the computer will not let engine crank until glow plugs have done their thing.

First fuel is Amarillo. Next stop, Trinidad, CO., this fueling stop should be good winter blend.
Next stop, Salida, I’ll add a little of the stuff y’all mentioned.
I make this same trip (in reverse) a couple times a year. Even though Trinidad is the most Southern part of CO, it's still up at pretty good elevation so it's likely that the diesel there will be winter blend.

Although I haven't made the long trip with my JT ecoDiesel yet, the drive between Amarillo and Trinidad will very likely leave you with a half tank of fuel. I think you would easily make it all the way from Amarillo to Salida on a single tank with some fuel to spare, probably best to go all the way and fill up in Salida.

OP
OP

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
I make this same trip (in reverse) a couple times a year. Even though Trinidad is the most Southern part of CO, it's still up at pretty good elevation so it's likely that the diesel there will be winter blend.

Although I haven't made the long trip with my JT ecoDiesel yet, the drive between Amarillo and Trinidad will very likely leave you with a half tank of fuel. I think you would easily make it all the way from Amarillo to Salida on a single tank with some fuel to spare, probably best to go all the way and fill up in Salida.
Hahaha, while my “personal” range is about 500; others in my car can only go about 300 +/- 25, before they have to go!

I’m another year older so my “personal“ range may have decreased.
:(

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
@CerOf

After sitting all weekend in single digits with below 0 windchill she drove fine. I did a 15 minute remote start before I went out. Put her in gear and everything functioned fine through transmission, transfer, and differentials. No shuddering or hopping. So unless you get into -25 and below I'd say you're good on that side of things.

BEERviper

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator SS eco Diesel
Occupation
Real Estate
@CerOf

After sitting all weekend in single digits with below 0 windchill she drove fine. I did a 15 minute remote start before I went out. Put her in gear and everything functioned fine through transmission, transfer, and differentials. No shuddering or hopping. So unless you get into -25 and below I'd say you're good on that side of things.
Keep in mind the OP has a diesel (this is the diesel subforum), things are a little different than a gasser in subzero temps. The diesel typically takes more juice to start and longer to warm up.
Sponsored