Vehicle Showcase

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
I seem to get a lot of road rage people behind me. Mostly in the big pickup trucks or females' in SUVs.

Last edited:

Sponsored

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator JT 2021
Occupation
Portfolio Manager
Towed home a 2020 Keystone Passtport 239ML (4300lbs empty roughly, 25.4ft, should be about 5200 loaded with everything when go camping, 425 on the hitch). About 11mpg but that was coming through hill / grades from IN to OH. Seems like drafting behind a truck, even on grades netted about +2 to +3mpg. Manual shifting and staying around 55 to 65 instead of 70 to 75 makes a huge difference, almost 3 to 4 mpg, guessing with drafting on a flat long trip at 65 would hit maybe 14 or 15mpg.

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
I seem to get a lot of road rage people behind me. Mostly in the big pickup trucks or females' in SUVs.
Screw 'em.

Drive your own drive...that's my philosophy with that.

Besides, they're the ones raising their blood pressures with their anger, not you. Just smile at them as they blow by you with that one finger salute (the New Jersey state bird :LOL: ) and drive your own relaxing drive :rock: :rock::rock:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
should be about 5200 loaded with everything when go camping, 425 on the hitch).
You want a bit more than that on the hitch.
You are only about 8% with that which is not even the minimum. I know some say 8%-12% but that's for different trailers. 10-12% is where you should be with a rig of that weight and size.
I tow just under 5,000 pounds and run 500 on the hitch. Tows like a dream.
Travel trailers/campers should also use a weight distributing hitch. You have height and some of the weight up high above the axle meaning when you hit the brakes, there's a tendency to nose-dive - the WDH minimizes that effect.

There are still about 3 states with towing speed limits that are lower than the posted car speed limit - typically those are 55 or 65. The number of such states is dropping, but depending on where you drive - be aware of their towing laws.

staying around 55 to 65 instead of 70 to 75 makes a huge difference
It's the SPEED that matters. You can't even begin to compare the wind resistance and drag at 60 vs 70-75. Just keeping the speed down alone makes your mpg difference. And that would be with the truck alone. Then add the drag of the trailer and the frontage? Yeah, losing 10 mpg in speed can make 3 to 4 mpg difference, making no other changes at all.

RJinPV

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired
That's about what I averaged doing a 2000 mile round trip to Komiefornia and back over the 4th of July weekend. Quite a few mountain passes between South East Arizona and Sonoma County, Komiefornia. I tow a 26' travel trailer that weighs 5,500 lbs.
Why did you insult my state? Just so you have the facts, California is poised this year to surpass Germany as the world's 4th largest capitalist economy.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
California is poised this year to surpass Germany as the world's 4th largest capitalist economy.
And yet they are broke, have constant power problems....... cash flow != profit.

Jeep Gladiator 1,516 miles towing with my Gladiator, 11.2mpg 1668356595865

You can have a massive "economy' that is very poorly run, be out of money, have failed projects.....
Everyone jumps on the "CA has the largest economy" and yet that's like saying "I got a 50% raise last month" - and the fact is you went from 50 cents to 75 cents an hour.
Stating the size of the economy leaves out so much.

I'm more concerned with living conditions, taxes, cost of living, than how big the economy is in my state.
We have some of the cheapest electricity in the whole country - and get over 50% of our power from wind and solar.

Iowa is beat only by Texas, and if you look at the "per capita" we blow other states away. That wind power means more because of the population difference.
CA wants renewable and yet we blow them away in the per capita (*and even the raw total output)

We get almost 60% of our power from wind - compared to 7% in CA

Jeep Gladiator 1,516 miles towing with my Gladiator, 11.2mpg 1668356997260

Jeep Gladiator 1,516 miles towing with my Gladiator, 11.2mpg 1668356875945

Sponsored

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Yes, Texas generates the most power by wind than any other state but, they also have a s*itty power grid. Look at what happened last year (or the year before?) when so many people froze or were charged like $10,000 for a month's worth of electricity. Texas ain't what it's all cracked up to be and neither is CA.

In pretty much any other state in the country, you can make around $80K/year and be able to live comfortably....not extravagantly but, comfortably. In CA, that $80K/year puts you around poverty level. That's why salaries are so high in CA because it's so very expensive to live there.

New Jersey ain't much better. When I was living there, I was making mid to upper to $50's per year and barely making it. I wasn't renting an apartment but renting a room in a house from the owner. Apartment rents were like $1,300+/month in very shady areas and the units themselves should have been condemned. And to even get in, my salary wasn't high enough plus, they wanted at least first and last month's rent plus security just to get in. It's redonckulous.

Now I live in PA. I'm retired with no real bills other than utilities and living expenses and I own my own home outright with no mortgage (inherited it when my Dad passed away). I do live in a high tax area though. My annual real estate/school taxes are around $10,000/year so I have to budget for that. I call it rent as I have to put money aside every month to make sure I have that money when the tax man comes-a-callin'.

So, while CA can lay claim to like the 4th largest economy in the world, the citizens still suffer for it. Beautiful state to live in I'm sure but still, all that beauty comes at a high cost.

RJinPV

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired
And yet they are broke, have constant power problems....... cash flow != profit.

You can have a massive "economy' that is very poorly run, be out of money, have failed projects.....
Everyone jumps on the "CA has the largest economy" and yet that's like saying "I got a 50% raise last month" - and the fact is you went from 50 cents to 75 cents an hour.
Stating the size of the economy leaves out so much.

I'm more concerned with living conditions, taxes, cost of living, than how big the economy is in my state.
We have some of the cheapest electricity in the whole country - and get over 50% of our power from wind and solar.

Iowa is beat only by Texas, and if you look at the "per capita" we blow other states away. That wind power means more because of the population difference.
CA wants renewable and yet we blow them away in the per capita (*and even the raw total output)

We get almost 60% of our power from wind - compared to 7% in CA

And again you are wrong. California has a a budget surplus. I should know because of all the taxes I pay. Also, we haven't had a power disaster reminiscent of the Texas blizzard; was that 2020 or '21? What I can see by your data is that Ca is much more efficient, but then again, more of our population lives in climates more moderate than Texas. Things are never a simple as one graph.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Yes, Texas generates the most power by wind than any other state but, they also have a s*itty power grid. Look at what happened last year (or the year before?) when so many people froze or were charged like $10,000 for a month's worth of electricity. Texas ain't what it's all cracked up to be and neither is CA.

In pretty much any other state in the country, you can make around $80K/year and be able to live comfortably....not extravagantly but, comfortably. In CA, that $80K/year puts you around poverty level. That's why salaries are so high in CA because it's so very expensive to live there.

New Jersey ain't much better. When I was living there, I was making mid to upper to $50's per year and barely making it. I wasn't renting an apartment but renting a room in a house from the owner. Apartment rents were like $1,300+/month in very shady areas and the units themselves should have been condemned. And to even get in, my salary wasn't high enough plus, they wanted at least first and last month's rent plus security just to get in. It's redonckulous.

Now I live in PA. I'm retired with no real bills other than utilities and living expenses and I own my own home outright with no mortgage (inherited it when my Dad passed away). I do live in a high tax area though. My annual real estate/school taxes are around $10,000/year so I have to budget for that. I call it rent as I have to put money aside every month to make sure I have that money when the tax man comes-a-callin'.

So, while CA can lay claim to like the 4th largest economy in the world, the citizens still suffer for it. Beautiful state to live in I'm sure but still, all that beauty comes at a high cost.
Come to my county. My real estate/school taxes are around $2,700.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Electricity around $170 or so a month, varies a bit. But that covers the minisplit shop AC running 24/7, lighting out there, and the lights in the house lower level where my wife spends hours quilting and sewing. So except when we are sleeping, there's a lot of lights on at any given time. The house is all electric, the shop is except in the winter when I have to run LP infrared heat. My plating takes a tank heater 24/7, and the rectifier takes power, etc.

Gas $3.56/gallon

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Electricity around $170 or so a month, varies a bit. But that covers the minisplit shop AC running 24/7, lighting out there, and the lights in the house lower level where my wife spends hours quilting and sewing. So except when we are sleeping, there's a lot of lights on at any given time. The house is all electric, the shop is except in the winter when I have to run LP infrared heat. My plating takes a tank heater 24/7, and the rectifier takes power, etc.

Gas $3.56/gallon
Here, my electricity runs around $200/month. In the summer it's A/C, the swimming pool filter pump, and hot water plus what ever else we use. Winter, it's heat (heat pump), hot water, and regular usage. Before I converted from oil heat/hot water to electric, winter electric bills were like $80 and summer around $180. I did this because heating oil would have been over $5.25/gallon this year. Last year I was under contract at $3.19/gallon for heating oil hence the change. I think in the long run electricity would be cheaper plus going solar will help with that too.

Once I get my solar system finished and connected to the grid, my electric bills should be minimal. It'll generate what I need during the day and what I don't use I get credit as a generator pumping electricity into the grid. At night, when I'm pulling from the grid, those credits I generated during the day offset what I use at night.

Gasoline here is $4.15/gallon in PA, $3.95/gallon in Delaware. As I live only 10 miles from the nearest gas station in Delaware and, I do my shopping there too (6% cheaper as no sales tax), that's where I fill my tank.
Sponsored