Sponsored

12 volt outlets?

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
so these awesome fridges can run for days on the 12 volt starter battery without depleting it? Do you guys use a 2 battery system for increased capacity, or safety of not running the battery dead and being stranded?
Sponsored

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
so these awesome fridges can run for days on the 12 volt starter battery without depleting it? Do you guys use a 2 battery system for increased capacity, or safety of not running the battery dead and being stranded?
I won’t speak about any other fridges, but my 37l ARB would run at least 3 days on multiple occasions and I’d still be able to start the Jeep right up.

This wasn’t camping, with it being opened 20 times a day and warm food being put back in for cooling etc - this was a load of already cold Mexican cokes being kept at a frosty 34* in my driveway (yeah, sounds like sounds like a waste but man, they tasted great in the parking lot after a long customer meeting).

OP
OP
smlobx

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant

Here’s something that many of you may not know...

The JL and the new JT actually already has two batteries...

The second battery is smaller and used to keep some electronics operational when the automatic stop shuts down the engine..

However there is a company that has developed a set up to install 2 regular sized batteries which will allo you to make better use of your/my fridge...
Check this out..

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Here’s something that many of you may not know...

The JL and the new JT actually already has two batteries...

The second battery is smaller and used to keep some electronics operational when the automatic stop shuts down the engine..

However there is a company that has developed a set up to install 2 regular sized batteries which will allo you to make better use of your/my fridge...
Check this out..

hmmm, i thought the 2nd battery was a 48 volt semi-hybrid one. Its just a 12 volt? how do you isolate the fridge to only use the deep cycle battery? Not good to depleat a starter battery. I guess you could just use 2 AGM deep cycle batteries up front, and then wouldn't have to worry about it.

EDIT: I'm watching the video now, so maybe it'll answer my questions. Halfway done! Awesome video, thanks for sharing. There is not much room inside that engine bay, gee wilikers!

Genesis's website has a great write up of how this system works. Nice bit of kit.
https://www.genesisoffroad.com/JeepJLDualBattery-p/185-jldbk.htm

Last edited:

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
That Genesis dual battery kit is on my must have list. I’m ordering it once I know I’m a few weeks from getting the JT.

Sponsored

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
That Genesis dual battery kit is on my must have list. I’m ordering it once I know I’m a few weeks from getting the JT.
I really don’t like the idea of going to 2 tiny batteries - I’d rather keep a full sized starter and add a second battery somewhere else...

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I really don’t like the idea of going to 2 tiny batteries - I’d rather keep a full sized starter and add a second battery somewhere else...
When you say tiny, are you referring to their size? Or their capacity?

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
do 3 then. 2 up front and another somewhere else. =)

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
I'm trying to find a picture of a truck bed without the outlet for the life of me I can't find one at the moment. Is there just a plastic plug covering the spot where one would be and you could put an aftermarket in or Is it solid steel ? Was just wondering if it was there and just covered I can do without the trail rail system and save money by just putting in an aftermarket outlet plug.

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stock battery seems to be a 600/650 cranking amps... if you get the aux switches you get a 700...
The Odyssey Group 25 batteries that Genesis Offroad resells are 850...

Plus you're talking about two batteries that have the same amps, so you could actually use both to start your vehicle if something happened with the main battery.

Maybe I'm looking at the stats wrong, but I don't think that's tiny at all.

Sponsored

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm trying to find a picture of a truck bed without the outlet for the life of me I can't find one at the moment. Is there just a plastic plug covering the spot where one would be and you could put an aftermarket in or Is it solid steel ? Was just wondering if it was there and just covered I can do without the trail rail system and save money by just putting in an aftermarket outlet plug.
I think I found a video... here is a Sport model without the trail rail system and outlet. Looks like it's a big plastic cover over the hole? Right? I'm starting it at 1:02

bangolia

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
I think I found a video... here is a Sport model without the trail rail system and outlet. Looks like it's a big plastic cover over the hole? Right? I'm starting it at 1:02
you look to be correct.

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
Thanks. Hmm wonder how easy it would be to put in your own wireing and plug using the same hole provided

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. Hmm wonder how easy it would be to put in your own wireing and plug using the same hole provided
I'm sure the hard part is going to be routing the wires - but honestly, you might realize that's not the best place for the outlet. Especially if you end up putting in a decked system or a slider.

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Stock battery seems to be a 600/650 cranking amps... if you get the aux switches you get a 700...
The Odyssey Group 25 batteries that Genesis Offroad resells are 850...

Plus you're talking about two batteries that have the same amps, so you could actually use both to start your vehicle if something happened with the main battery.

Maybe I'm looking at the stats wrong, but I don't think that's tiny at all.
I'm looking at AH, not CCA - basically the amount of time the battery can supply power, not the peak power the battery can supply. A physically larger battery can always run longer than a smaller one (when comparing apples to apples, not junk to expensive), so replacing a larger battery with 2 smaller ones that fit in the same space will give you less run time than adding a second large battery.
Sponsored