12 volt outlets?

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
I'm looking at AH, not CCA - basically the amount of time the battery can supply power, not the peak power the battery can supply. A physically larger battery can always run longer than a smaller one (when comparing apples to apples, not junk to expensive), so replacing a larger battery with 2 smaller ones that fit in the same space will give you less run time than adding a second large battery.
I totally understand what you mean. I don't think the smaller batteries are actually that much smaller, that's my point.
I can't find the exact stats for the stock battery, beyond the cranking amps...
But, if I look up on like autozone.com, I can find an H6 Duralast Platinum that fits in a JL Wrangler Rubicon with these stats:
760 Cold cranking amps (950 cranking amps). 120 reserve minutes.

The Odyssey batteries have a reserve of 130 minutes, each, according to their stats. So, I do think 2 are better than one here.

I think the other value is the way the Genesis Offroad dual battery kit works. It's actually smart in what it does. It's not just tying two batteries together:

Here's how it works.

• When both your batteries are fully charged at 13.2 volts, they are automatically connected and are charged at the same time.
  • When you park and turn off the engine, but continue to use accessories such as lights or the stereo or a CB, both batteries begin to drain down.
  • When your main cranking battery reaches 12.7 volts, the smart isolator separates the batteries, so that your cranking battery will have enough power to start the engine. The second battery continues to power your accessories for as long as it will last.
  • After you crank the vehicle, your main cranking battery will be charged up to 13.2 volts first, and then the isolator will begin charging your accessory battery. By only charging one battery at a time, your alternator is protected from excessive strain.
What if your cranking battery is somehow drained down too low to be able to start the vehicle? We have a solution for that.

• Press the Start Boost button and the isolator will connect both batteries together for 1 minute, acting like built-in jumper cables to jump start your engine off your accessory battery.
  • As long as the accessory battery has enough power, you'll be able to start your vehicle instead of being stranded with a dead battery!
  • The alternator will charge both batteries for 1 minute, then switches back over to automatic mode to reduce the strain on your alternator.
How%20it%20works%20Genesis%20dual%20battery%20kit%20smart%20isolator%20Cole%20Hersee.jpg
Sponsored

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
I totally understand what you mean. I don't think the smaller batteries are actually that much smaller, that's my point.
I can't find the exact stats for the stock battery, beyond the cranking amps...
But, if I look up on like autozone.com, I can find an H6 Duralast Platinum that fits in a JL Wrangler Rubicon with these stats:
760 Cold cranking amps (950 cranking amps). 120 reserve minutes.

The Odyssey batteries have a reserve of 130 minutes, each, according to their stats. So, I do think 2 are better than one here.

I think the other value is the way the Genesis Offroad dual battery kit works. It's actually smart in what it does. It's not just tying two batteries together:
You canā€™t really compare a top of the line odyssey battery to a regular Duralast like that - a bigger odyssey would have more capacity than a smaller odyssey. Similarly, I wouldnā€™t compare the stock battery to the odyssey for my purposes. Iā€™d compare it to the biggest d*^\| battery that will fit in the stock location plus a second one.

Iā€™m not saying this isnā€™t a good option for some - dual battery setups are the bomb, Iā€™m just saying Iā€™d rather get a *bigger* dual battery setup than g25s.

Looking at the engine bay though, that might not be an option unless you locate the second battery in the bed.

As far as the electronics, dual battery charge controllers that do what this kit does have been around for decades...

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Stock battery seems to be a 600/650 cranking amps... if you get the aux switches you get a 700...
The Odyssey Group 25 batteries that Genesis Offroad resells are 850...

Plus you're talking about two batteries that have the same amps, so you could actually use both to start your vehicle if something happened with the main battery.

Maybe I'm looking at the stats wrong, but I don't think that's tiny at all.
The genesis setup actually allows you to press a button and then use the auxiliary battery as the start battery, if the start batt failed, or you could use both with some tools and a set of jumpers.

what are the AHs of the stock battery vs the group 25 batteries?

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Thanks. Hmm wonder how easy it would be to put in your own wireing and plug using the same hole provided
Need to find something like this, but with female recepticle, not male plug.
I used something similar to put a coolant heater in my TDI. So somebody has to make something the opposite connection.
51xAm2fF-uL._SL1000_.jpg

EDIT, just looked, the outlet is screwed in with 4 screws, so you can easily make a cover plate out of sheet metal, drill 4 holes and screw your plate down with an outlet on it.

Last edited:

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Okay a replacement for JL optima yellow top has an H6 72AH
https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/yellowtop-deep-cycle-battery/h6
the optima yellow top 25 has 48AH
https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/yellowtop-deep-cycle-battery/d7525

So you're getting 1/3 more capacity from a similar space with the dual 25 from Optima at least.
I don't know anything about the battery maintainer/charging controller thing.

What's silly is that the H6 only costs $19 more. So if you just buy 2 H6, replace the stock battery and relocate the new H6 to the bed, you'ld have 3/3 more capacity instead of 1/3. You'ld also have to do a lot more wiring.

Depends what you're wanting to do.

@drogers do you have any links to the same kind of battery controller to shut off using the starter battery and just drain the aux one so you don't strand yourself?

Sponsored

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Okay a replacement for JL optima yellow top has an H6 72AH
https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/yellowtop-deep-cycle-battery/h6
the optima yellow top 25 has 48AH
https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/yellowtop-deep-cycle-battery/d7525

So you're getting 1/3 more capacity from a similar space with the dual 25 from Optima at least.
I don't know anything about the battery maintainer/charging controller thing.

What's silly is that the H6 only costs $19 more. So if you just buy 2 H6, replace the stock battery and relocate the new H6 to the bed, you'ld have 3/3 more capacity instead of 1/3. You'ld also have to do a lot more wiring.

Depends what you're wanting to do.

@drogers do you have any links to the same kind of battery controller to shut off using the starter battery and just drain the aux one so you don't strand yourself?
Yeah, the basic systems are called dual battery isolators, and they basically send alternator power to your start battery until the battery is charged to a certain level, then send it to the ā€˜houseā€™ or secondary battery until the starter battery gets below a certain cutoff - hereā€™s an example:
https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Battery-Isolator-KeyLine-Chargers/dp/B00WTAFR5W

They can get fancier, with adjustable cutoffs, voltage displays, jump start switches etc, or you can keep it simple and cheap.

The more I look at the options for the JT, the less I dislike the genesis setup though - yes, youā€™re ultimately losing a chunk of AH, but Iā€™m not sure I want to keep my bed covered, so a bed mount house battery might not be in the cards.

And this looks really clean. Sigh.... I guess Iā€™ll be crawling under my JT looking for space for my OBA and a house battery when I get it.

Something makes me doubt Iā€™ll find enough space for both though, so something like the genesis may be my best option.

Maybe if I add in a solar panel or two itā€™ll make up for it? Lol...

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Yeah, the basic systems are called dual battery isolators, and they basically send alternator power to your start battery until the battery is charged to a certain level, then send it to the ā€˜houseā€™ or secondary battery until the starter battery gets below a certain cutoff - hereā€™s an example:

They can get fancier, with adjustable cutoffs, voltage displays, jump start switches etc, or you can keep it simple and cheap.

The more I look at the options for the JT, the less I dislike the genesis setup though - yes, youā€™re ultimately losing a chunk of AH, but Iā€™m not sure I want to keep my bed covered, so a bed mount house battery might not be in the cards.

And this looks really clean. Sigh.... I guess Iā€™ll be crawling under my JT looking for space for my OBA and a house battery when I get it.

Something makes me doubt Iā€™ll find enough space for both though, so something like the genesis may be my best option.

In a perfect world Iā€™d do a full DC-DC charger setup with one of these:
https://adventure-ready.com/store/redarc-bcdc1225d-vehicle-battery-charger/

- gives you dual inputs (alternator and solar) and jumpstart capabilities, and it lets you charge many different kinds and sizes of house batteries (so you could run house power off LifePO4 or even a bank of 18650s if you want (that would give you some packaging flexibility!).

frusso017

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport
12volt on the center dash above the axle lock button (unless you get the trailer brake controller, then I'm not sure where they would include a 12volt outlet) and a 120v on the center armrest console.

Untitled.jpg
Does anyone know if the 120v on the center armrest will come with the Sport and Sport S models?

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

yea this is kind of where my research led. I don't want it in the bed - for a lot of reasons. I don't want it in the cab, also, for a lot of reasons. So I think under the hood is the best of both worlds. I do think there is a potential loss, if you factor the possibility of two much larger batteries.
But I think the gains in this scenario outweigh that.
One other gain to me is the redistribution that happens in the engine bay. The current main battery and current little battery take up a lot of room - and it's a little awkward.
With the genesis kit it moves down the fuse box and now lets you mount something to the fuse box... like an sPOD..
So overall, yes, maybe a little pricier than if I went out and sourced the parts, but I feel like they thought through a bunch of things that I haven't yet.
Hopefully it does all bolt on to the JT.

Sponsored

OP
OP
smlobx

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What about the fridge, Dual Optima Batteries and the genesis kit? DAMN.............better throw in some plywood if you're spending that much!

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
Thanks thatā€™s what I was thinking. Unless I get a cap of some sort it might be better to place the fridge in the back of the cab.
Also, the length of the JT will increase the potential for Jarring and bouncing back in the bed . . . I will be adapting the rear seating area for my Fridge Freezer - of choice; SnoMaster model CL56D, a true 2 lid / 2 compartment freezer & fridge.
this is from their "Classic Series at ~ 59qts. /56liters - 28"w X 173/4"d X 202/3" H . It's the smallest true 2 door Fridge/Freezer they make, and yes it is not "cheep" in cost or Quality ! But it's all American manufactured, right down to their own highly rated Compressor (in House) with a 5 year warrantee. My plan, being as I have no family to deal with, is to Remove the rear seating and install a covertly-lockable enclosure with the "countertop" for the securing of the SnoMaster, or perhaps Inside the "box," for as they say, out of sight out of mind ! Being as this Zone of the JT is Centered, the jarring and bouncing will be Greatly Reduced. That's my solution, so far . . . ! ? I certainly know it won't work for many others, but feel it worth mentioning as all options are good things to learn about !
Thursday morning edit -- dual battery system, separate 2nd battery option with portable solar to keep charged are currently ways I am preferring, so far ! Don't want to rely on the Vehicles battery alone - that could leave me (or anyone) stranded in strange places ! ;)

Last edited:

Puda32

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Does anyone know if the 120v on the center armrest will come with the Sport and Sport S models?
My Sport S Max Tow does not have the 120V on the center armrest.
Sponsored