First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 1997 Land Rover Defender, 2018 Q7 Audi
Occupation
Reitired
I posted this exact thread on the Airstream Forum. I thought I would post it here to see what you might think about this post. Many of you have a much greater information base than the general Airstream base about Gladiators. Thanks so much. Bob
---------------------------------------------- All numbers come from the info on the door stickers of my Overland or from my trip to the "CAT" scale or from Airstream info. "Cat" scale info was full fuel and NO driver in Jeep.
I do not take delivery of the Caravel till end of Nov.

Caravel
Max GVWR: 4,300 lbs
Base weight: 3,200 lbs with full LP tanks and (2) 100 amp AGM batteries.

Hitch weight: 490 lbs

Gladiator Overland
Max GVWR: 5,800 lbs ("CAT" weight 4,800 lbs)

Max front axle: 3,100 lbs ("CAT" weight 2,540 lbs)
Max rear axle: 3,750 lbs ("CAT" weight 2,260 lbs)
Max cargo for Jeep: 1,035 (on yellow sticker on my Jeep)
Note: 5,800 lbs GVWR and "CAT" weight of 4,800 lbs leaves 1,000 lbs for cargo. 35 lbs might be the heavy rubber mat I used for the bed floor.

1,000 lbs is really a low number to deal with.

Driver (me) 250 lbs
Wife. 130 lbs
Hitch weight 100 lbs (weight of the actual hitch,average WT)
Tong weight 490 lbs

Total weight 970 lbs Leaves 30 lbs for cargo to load in bed of Defender.

Am I figuring this weight matrix all wrong? Comments will be much appreciated.

Bob
Sponsored

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
I'll assume you meant Gladiator and not Defender?
If you are really worried about GVWR you can put your luggage in the trailer.
A weight distribution hitch will lower the tongue weight.
At the end of the day you are towing #1200 less than what I recently did towing my TJ and car haule long distance, even of you completely max out the weight of the trailer. I think you will be fine.

OP
OP

Gladiator in my dreams

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Reitired
YES, Gladiator :) sorry, I also have a 1997 Defender and just got my trucks mixed up ;) Thanks for the suggestion. Bob

NGNERD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 LE Gladiator Rubicon GCM
Good stuff, thanks. So you have not weighed on the CAT with the trailer correct?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Gladiator in my dreams

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Reitired
No, we do not take delivery till end of Nov. Based on the numbers, will have to be very careful on the lbs loaded on the Gladiator. Still trying to work out the REAL hitch weight if trailer was not at a MAX GVWF of 4,300 lbs. E-mailing back an forth with Airstream now. Bob

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I posted this exact thread on the Airstream Forum. I thought I would post it here to see what you might think about this post. Many of you have a much greater information base than the general Airstream base about Gladiators. Thanks so much. Bob
---------------------------------------------- All numbers come from the info on the door stickers of my Overland or from my trip to the "CAT" scale or from Airstream info. "Cat" scale info was full fuel and NO driver in Jeep.
I do not take delivery of the Caravel till end of Nov.

Caravel
Max GVWR: 4,300 lbs
Base weight: 3,200 lbs with full LP tanks and (2) 100 amp AGM batteries.

Hitch weight: 490 lbs

Gladiator Overland
Max GVWR: 5,800 lbs ("CAT" weight 4,800 lbs)

Max front axle: 3,100 lbs ("CAT" weight 2,540 lbs)
Max rear axle: 3,750 lbs ("CAT" weight 2,260 lbs)
Max cargo for Jeep: 1,035 (on yellow sticker on my Jeep)
Note: 5,800 lbs GVWR and "CAT" weight of 4,800 lbs leaves 1,000 lbs for cargo. 35 lbs might be the heavy rubber mat I used for the bed floor.

1,000 lbs is really a low number to deal with.

Driver (me) 250 lbs
Wife. 130 lbs
Hitch weight 100 lbs (weight of the actual hitch,average WT)
Tong weight 490 lbs

Total weight 970 lbs Leaves 30 lbs for cargo to load in bed of Defender.

Am I figuring this weight matrix all wrong? Comments will be much appreciated.

Bob
Did you not read the charts prior to purchase? The Overland is known to be the lowest of all payload and towing numbers in the JT clan.
Slightly over 1,000 pounds (say about 1,035) is about right for payload. That's correct.
6,000 pounds trailer towing capacity is it for Overland with the tow package.
The Overland doesn't have the springs or axle ratio or width for more payload - or trailer towing.
Like suggested put more of your stuff in the trailer. As long as you are under 6,000 pounds TRAILER WEIGHT with your luggage and such in it you should be fine.

A travel trailer/camper should normally be towed with a weight distributing hitch. But mostly all that does is spread the weight over the length of the truck, it doesn't increase it's ability.

NGNERD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 LE Gladiator Rubicon GCM
No, we do not take delivery till end of Nov. Based on the numbers, will have to be very careful on the lbs loaded on the Gladiator. Still trying to work out the REAL hitch weight if trailer was not at a MAX GVWF of 4,300 lbs. E-mailing back an forth with Airstream now. Bob
Okay, you might want to look at the Anderson hitch, might can drop 50 lbs. Truck is plenty capable and safe set up in my opinion, just watch that payload as you are, tweak things as mentioned by others after you hook up and weigh.
Enjoy, it is a really nice rig!

Last edited:
OP
OP

Gladiator in my dreams

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Reitired
Thanks to all for informative & encouraging posts. I did notice that on one of the other posts that had to do with the first 500 drive with the new Gladiator diesel that it had even a lower cargo rating then my Overland. Bob

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks to all for informative & encouraging posts. I did notice that on one of the other posts that had to do with the first 500 drive with the new Gladiator diesel that it had even a lower cargo rating then my Overland. Bob
The diesel engine weighs about 400 pounds more than the gas engine, which will have some affect on the cargo rating. The towing capacity is reduced due to cooling limitations. It is still close to 6000 pounds, which is about the same as a gas engine Overland, but the diesel will pull it easier.
Sponsored