First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
My wife actually called me from the coast on one of her trips, she had a low pressure warning trip on her Honda. Stopped at a service station and had some mook tell her she couldn't use their air to top off the tires, because "nitrogen was required". I got mad by proxy, and asked her "as a multiple Master's holding science teacher, what percent of our atmosphere is N2?" She teacher talked that idiot and went on her way with proper PSI.

And they can sell more tires and alignments.
But in reality, even if they service my wife's Grand Cherokee and over-inflate the tires like they always do, once winter hits here, I deal with the TPMS warning saying a tire is too low.
I had mine aired up for towing and forgot to air them back down. Winter hit and I got TMPS messages! You'd have to air some of these up pretty high to avoid that message.

Not a total fix - from AAA -
Since nitrogen does not completely eliminate temperature-related pressure changes under normal driving conditions, it is of little benefit to vehicle owners who properly maintain their tires.

Tire sites will tell you to use nitrogen because they charge for it and you keep coming back to them instead of filling yourself. But since air is 78% nitrogen anyway, the difference is minimal.

https://www.consumerreports.org/tir...ld-you-use-nitrogen-in-car-tires-a6260003694/
Sponsored

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
Iā€™ve heard both statements before that our air is already nitrogen high but also having 100% in the tires keeps the psi from fluctuations in extreme temp changes. If one wasnā€™t going to air down at all wouldnt it be a viable option? Pay once and forget about it? Iā€™m always airing up and down so it doesnā€™t work for me

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
The justification for racing tires is N2 doesn't hold water, but more correctly it's not got any atmospheric humidity because it's coming out of a tank.

Iā€™ve heard both statements before that our air is already nitrogen high but also having 100% in the tires keeps the psi from fluctuations in extreme temp changes. If one wasnā€™t going to air down at all wouldnt it be a viable option? Pay once and forget about it? Iā€™m always airing up and down so it doesnā€™t work for me

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Big tires and aircraft. Our tires aren't big enough for it to have the same impact. But people say big truck, airplanes and industrial equipment doing it and figured ........ But we dont have enough air volume to make much difference. My chevy truck had nitrogen and it would still trigger tpms at times.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
Competitively, nitrogen in tires offers two big benefits - repeatability in pressure change due to temperature change of the tire, and minimizing moisture from atmospheric air.

Racing tires have a poor relationship with moisture. Age and exposure decrease the grip when compared to a new tire.

Street tires don't have nearly the strain put on them in this regard. It's more about puncture resistance on the trail and road hazards. Street tires don't get that hot. I've flogged my Golf pretty damn hard through some backroads and never got my tires hot - when compared to race tires.

Racing tires (circle track in my experience) get up to 230*F without a lot of work. Optimally, we would run them 210-220*. "Cold" pressures we would start at 10-12psi on the left and 18-20psi on the right. It would take 8 laps to build pressure to the optimum goal, unless the car was off. If the car was tight, the RF would build 2-4psi over the target. If loose, the same pressure change on the RR.

This was using nitrogen. If we had to use air, the pressure change would be even more drastic.

Pressure change was important because with pressure change, the tire would expand. The rule of thumb was 2psi = 1/8" of an inch. When you're aiming for 2.5" of stagger in the rear and the RR grows 4psi more than expected, that's a 1/4" of difference, and that makes a huge difference. It makes the car over-rotate getting into the corner, has lifted the RR and loaded the LF, increasing the swaybar rate, which tightens the car in the middle, and both those situations lead to over-rotation on exit.

In airplanes, tires go from 0 to 150mph in a split second, and have 300,000 pounds loaded on them. I would assume nitrogen help minimize blowouts associated with rapidly-expanding tires.

Sponsored

steve68

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator, yes
Occupation
Rocket Builder,
In airplanes, tires go from 0 to 150mph in a split second, and have 300,000 pounds loaded on them. I would assume nitrogen help minimize blowouts associated with rapidly-expanding tires.

YES!!! I used to assemble/build the main wheels and nose steering front wheels on the Space Shuttles, same as a 747 tire, lots of nitrogen and pressure checks!!!! fun job!

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver

YES!!! I used to assemble/build the main wheels and nose steering front wheels on the Space Shuttles, same as a 747 tire, lots of nitrogen and pressure checks!!!! fun job!
Bet is was a long check list you had to go through. Initial each step, then sign when finished.

steve68

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator, yes
Occupation
Rocket Builder,
Bet is was a long check list you had to go through. Initial each step, then sign when finished.
Each wheel and tire had it's own book, we had steps to buy with a stamp, each technician had a stamp number assigned to them,

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Each wheel and tire had it's own book, we had steps to buy with a stamp, each technician had a stamp number assigned to them,
When I worked in a nuke plant as an outside contractor. We had something like that. Before you started a job. You had to read each step and check off that you understood the step. If you had question about that step. They would take it back and rewrite that step. Then you had to read everything all over again.

Doing cert welding. I had a stamp with my number on it. After I finished each weld. I had to put my stamp next to the weld in 2 places. If it was on boilers and piping. I also had to put a letter stamp next to my number stamp.

steve68

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator, yes
Occupation
Rocket Builder,
When I worked in a nuke plant as an outside contractor. We had something like that. Before you started a job. You had to read each step and check off that you understood the step. If you had question about that step. They would take it back and rewrite that step. Then you had to read everything all over again.

Doing cert welding. I had a stamp with my number on it. After I finished each weld. I had to put my stamp next to the weld in 2 places. If it was on boilers and piping. I also had to put a letter stamp next to my number stamp.
Yes Sir, manned flight is the same way, all day everyday!!!!

TIG on stainless????

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link