Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Data Engineer
I agree with some of the guys above... this doesn't look like your bed is rusting. It looks like you have metal shavings rusting on top of the paint in your bed.

Soak that shit with some iron-x, get it as clean as possible and then bed liner it.

From the looks of these pictures, I don't see you getting Jeep to fix this one.
Sponsored

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
It's not surprising that Jeep denies claims like this. In their minds, this is just one of hundreds of available aftermarket mods that may compromise the integrity of the intended factory design.

I am certain it happens every day and is quite common. Can't take it too personal.

OP
OP

helmer_in

First Name
Helmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Thank you all for your inputs, I really appreciate it and it gives me other perspectives. I did have a bed mat for a short period and the shavings are also another component I didn't take in consideration. My whole issue is that in my humble opinion, rust should not develop this early in a vehicle's life but I may be naive and this is my first truck - I admit. I thought we came a long way in the car building process that the build and paint quality would hold up for the first few years at least - the car is 2021 for heaven's sake. Evidently, I am wrong so I will now take care of this issue out of pocket.

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
I think this would have unfortunately happened to ANY vehicle, regardless of make/model. On the bright side as others mentioned it's probably just on the surface at this point, so getting it sanded down and bedlined before it eats through the sheetmetal will likely solve all current issues.

Last edited:

Levi.Butler

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Data Engineer
Thank you all for your inputs, I really appreciate it and it gives me other perspectives. I did have a bed mat for a short period and the shavings are also another component I didn't take in consideration. My whole issue is that in my humble opinion, rust should not develop this early in a vehicle's life but I may be naive and this is my first truck - I admit. I thought we came a long way in the car building process that the build and paint quality would hold up for the first few years at least - the car is 2021 for heaven's sake. Evidently, I am wrong so I will now take care of this issue out of pocket.
I think when you get in there, you will realize that the bed isn't actually rusting.

It looks like it's metal on the surface of the paint that's rusting. It shouldn't be a big deal to get cleaned up. Think of this as a very bad example of the environmental fallout you would clean off your paint with an iron removing chemical and clay bar.

Sponsored

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
My opinion is one of two things: its something generated off the molle panel on the reverse side, and or there was swarf (drilling chips and debris) from drilling the bed and installing the screws or anchors for the panel. Even if you picked up the major stuff after drilling, there is "dust" that will be laying there and start corrosion

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Salt water is EXTREMEly corrosive compared with just about everything else.

I live near the ocean and everythign, even if its well protected, rusts if its left coated in salt.

I'd paint the corrosion with some kind of rust converter and then get a spray in bedliner.
Even if they warranted it, all they would do is clean up the rust and reshoot it with white paint.

You need something more than paint.

MojaveCT

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator mojave
Occupation
Automotive Sales Professional
Does anyone have any experience with Jeep denying a rust warranty claim on a 2-year-old Jeep? I live in Orlando, FL. I go to the beach. I use the bed of the truck and I understand the risks with salt water and I was planning to get a bed liner spray. Nevertheless, I never would have imagined rust on a 2 year 17K vehicle. Neither did the dealer who basically told me this never happens so it must be my fault- something I did wrong. I am not happy. I called Stellantis warranty department and they won't let me speak with a manager or supervisor, once the claim is denied. Can't even get someone to explain the reasons why or make any sense for the denial.

@JeepCares case # 85358918
@JeeP # 85358918

Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated.

Helmer Koppen

Rust1.jpg

Rust2.jpg

Rust3.jpg

Rust4.jpg

Rust5.jpg
It is from mounting the racks, metal was not cleaned up.

firemedic2714

First Name
Scotty P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Rubicon, 19 Genesis G70, 1972 Ford LTD coupe
Occupation
Firefighter / Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
Like most other commenters are saying, just get a spray-in liner. I'd have it professionally done vs. DIY. Line-X liners come with a lifetime transferable warranty. Somewhat expensive and well worth it.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
All exposed bare steel rusts, unless it came uncoated from the factory, it wouldn’t be covered in my mind.

Spend a little money and get it coated by a company like line X. They’ll get you a finish you can enjoy for years to come.
Sponsored