First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep gladiator
Occupation
Shrink
I ordered my 2021 Gladiator Sport with the tow package last fall and took delivery in November. I was reallly annoyed to discover that the traier brakes didn't work because a wiring harness was not installed. I heard everything from "The salesguy didn't click on a button to include the wiring harness when building the vehicle" to "The original harness was a fire harzard with some trailers". The original harness was left in a box in the back seat. When I ask why the sales guy said that "This harness doesn't fit the new controller knob". We were also told that we couldn't get one from the factory but had to wait until the new part was built and could be orderd. We are still waiting. Has anyone else had this expereince or know what's up with this?
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered my 2021 Gladiator Sport with the tow package last fall and took delivery in November. I was reallly annoyed to discover that the traier brakes didn't work because a wiring harness was not installed. I heard everything from "The salesguy didn't click on a button to include the wiring harness when building the vehicle" to "The original harness was a fire harzard with some trailers". The original harness was left in a box in the back seat. When I ask why the sales guy said that "This harness doesn't fit the new controller knob". We were also told that we couldn't get one from the factory but had to wait until the new part was built and could be orderd. We are still waiting. Has anyone else had this expereince or know what's up with this?
Did you order a trailer brake controller, or pay the dealer or factory to install one? A brake controller is not part of the standard Tow package. The connector for the brake controller is under the dash, but the cable to make the connection is specific to the controller being installed, it is not supplied with the truck, unless you paid for the controller to be installed. If the controller is installed, but the cable is not, it just needs to be connected between the factory plug and the controller box. Did you look under the dash and confirm the controller box is installed?

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
There are a ton of threads on this topic. Do some searching. The paperwork is missleading and most dealers are not smart enough to research.

OP
OP

Stormrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep gladiator
Occupation
Shrink
Thanks guys for your assitance. Beyond changing tires and oil I'm not much good when it comes to auto mechanics. At 60 I can also struggle with tech searches, etc, so your response is so much appreciated.

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
Randy, like you I'm lost with electrical and motors. I'm 72 and with the help of this forum along with youtube I've installed a Redarc brake controller in my Gladiator, did a brake job and changed shocks on my wife's car as well as other things around the house. When I was working it was easier to work over and pay someone else to do it. Now that I'm retired I have the time to watch a video and do the repair or install myself.

Sponsored

PEI-Gladys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black JTR
Occupation
Ed Tech
If you are looking to install the Mopar Brake Controller on a 2021 Gladiator, there is no extra wiring harness required for the install. Everything comes in the single kit. Unfortunately, the brake controller is not included with any tow package but can be ordered and can be self or dealer installed. I just had the dealer install mine as there was a programing update that also has to be completed. Cheers!
Jeep Gladiator 2021 Gladiator trailer brake controller 63883434191__EF4D41E3-029C-4BB4-8164-D76CA0F9346C
Jeep Gladiator 2021 Gladiator trailer brake controller 63883331868__B7D97142-34A3-4314-96FF-7A689FF47BEC

Last edited:
OP
OP

Stormrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep gladiator
Occupation
Shrink
I did order the trailer break kit be installed with my build. What I got was the controller knob installed in the dash and the break box and wiring harness that goes from the break box to the controller left in the packaging. What is not included is the wiring harness that goes from the break box to the control knob. I have been given all sorts of reasons why and I see the website has the kit on backorder with no known shhipment date. This has been on back order since Nov. 2020. Ridiculous!

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Based on what I remember from other install posts, a network cable with RJ45 connectors on each end should work between the control box and knob. Read through the other threads on the Mopar Brake Controller.
Sponsored