Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I really like my Redarc, it also has some kind of off road mode available to that sounds like might go well with your trailer.
Yes, the higher end one, the more expensive one, is dual mode.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JTMJT

JTMJT

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon -
Occupation
Emergency Management
+1 for the echo

It looks like OP did his homework. Ive had zero issues with my echo and will not buy anything else.

if you go with the echo you will be pleased.
How many pulls have you done with it and how much weight? Honestly, I am pulling an Opus OP2. Full I think it tops out at 4500 lbs. I really do like the idea of the Echo and I have a cell phone that will be dedicated to that purpose. Hell, I dont thing I even need a SIM. Thanks for the feedback!

OP
OP
JTMJT

JTMJT

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon -
Occupation
Emergency Management
LoL too funny but sadly true.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
How many pulls have you done with it and how much weight? Honestly, I am pulling an Opus OP2. Full I think it tops out at 4500 lbs. I really do like the idea of the Echo and I have a cell phone that will be dedicated to that purpose. Hell, I dont thing I even need a SIM. Thanks for the feedback!
a bunch of pulls this year. 10 pulls of 2+hrs, one of which was 12hrs one way with a couple stops for bathroom and fuel.

zero issues on any trips. I even forgot to em initialize the app a couple times and didn’t realize it until far into the trip. The echo saves the settings so the trailer brakes worked evem though i had a brain fart. Ive really been impressed with it.

OP
OP
JTMJT

JTMJT

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon -
Occupation
Emergency Management
a bunch of pulls this year. 10 pulls of 2+hrs, one of which was 12hrs one way with a couple stops for bathroom and fuel.

zero issues on any trips. I even forgot to em initialize the app a couple times and didn’t realize it until far into the trip. The echo saves the settings so the trailer brakes worked evem though i had a brain fart. Ive really been impressed with it.
I was leaning. . . .and you pulled me. LoL. I’m gonna give it a shot. Thanks for the info.

Sponsored

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
Someone has to explain to me why anyone would want a brake controller with an app that needs to be setup to work the brake controller? This is a serious question, not a dig on anyone's choice at all.
The redarc remembers your last setting and also goes through a 10 second calibration every time you hook up a trailer to get a feel for it and then you are off, just tweak the dial one way or another if it brakes to much or too little for your taste. You can switch it to manual mode or leave it in proportional automatic mode. Press in for oh crap moments. KISS principle in action. I'm just trying to figure out how my life would be better with one more app on my phone?

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
I bought and use the echo on recommendations from this forum. No issues what so ever. If I could ask for an improvement, it would be for someone to create an app so the controls are on my Uconnect apple car play instead of the phone. The emergency button is also a big upgrade, although I don’t have one.

Regarding “setting it up”, it’s the same setup you would do if you have a hard wired controller. Set the input level and you are done.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Someone has to explain to me why anyone would want a brake controller with an app that needs to be setup to work the brake controller? This is a serious question, not a dig on anyone's choice at all.
it takes probably 10 seconds to set the app. you never need to open the app again unless you want to have the button. Which you can also get separate and still dont need to use the app. The time to setup the app is really about the same as it takes to setup a hardwired version.

its %100 user preference. Personally i chose not to waste my time installing a hardwired controller that will either take up my 12v slot or be an eye sore. I also don’t trust jeep much and didn’t want to add an electrical component that connects like the brake controller and have an issue causing jeep to come back and say the problem was my fault for not using a MOPAR controller.

Theres also folks out there who are paranoid the mystical app will fail and your trailer will die.

any perceived advantage, or disadvantage, is really in the minds and hands of the end user. At the end of the day both styles perform the same function equally well.

OP
OP
JTMJT

JTMJT

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon -
Occupation
Emergency Management
The redarc remembers your last setting and also goes through a 10 second calibration every time you hook up a trailer to get a feel for it and then you are off, just tweak the dial one way or another if it brakes to much or too little for your taste. You can switch it to manual mode or leave it in proportional automatic mode. Press in for oh crap moments. KISS principle in action. I'm just trying to figure out how my life would be better with one more app on my phone?
Well, since I’ve never used it, I cannot definitively say. I completely understand trusting so much to an app but we do it with our money. I intend to use it on a phone that is dedicated to The Gladiator. Yep my Gladiator had its own phone number. Only apps are maps and stuff for the truck such as the Echo. I will report back after my experience.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
They all have to be setup. The problem with most is you must install them, tie them into the truck's harness and put a button/dial somewhere.
The Curt echo plugs into the back - no installation. The phone is used to set it like you user a dial to set yours. The nice thing about the Curt is if you have 3 vehicles, you can simply unplug it from vehicle A, plug it into vehicle B, and use the app on your phone to set it for the trailer you haul with vehicle B. If you go back to vehicle A, you move it back over and use your phone to choose that trailer again. You can use the same controller for multiple vehicles and multiple trailers and it will remember the setting for each trailer.
It would work for someone like me who may haul may trailer empty or with one car or another. I could set it up for 3 different trailers - based on whether it was empty, with this car or that car and not have to remember - ok, what number did I use for that one again? And if I had a travel trailer, I could set it for that and save that setting.

Or - buy the button and use that and it would work like a conventional controller but STILL be movable to other vehicles.

Sponsored

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
Thank you for the explanation. So it's for people with multiple tow vehicles (mist be nice) or who don't want to actually wire anything up (even though JTs with the tow package are plug and play for a brake controller).

OP
OP
JTMJT

JTMJT

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon -
Occupation
Emergency Management
Thank you for the explanation. So it's for people with multiple tow vehicles (mist be nice) or who don't want to actually wire anything up (even though JTs with the tow package are plug and play for a brake controller).
you still have to mount the box somewhere and, depending on the type, mount the dial.
Most of us trust these phones with our personal information including our money. The Echo is just transmitting the commands via Bluetooth or the last programmed configuration if the signal is lost. What kills me is the size of that thing. They need to revisit the engineering. There is no reason the whole thing shouldn’t look like a nut to butt connector with maybe an inch between the connectors.
PS. and use some of the 12v power to boost the gain on the Bluetooth

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
you still have to mount the box somewhere and, depending on the type, mount the dial.
Most of us trust these phones with our personal information including our money. The Echo is just transmitting the commands via Bluetooth or the last programmed configuration if the signal is lost. What kills me is the size of that thing. They need to revisit the engineering. There is no reason the whole thing shouldn’t look like a nut to butt connector with maybe an inch between the connectors.
PS. and use some of the 12v power to boost the gain on the Bluetooth
Bluetooth is one of those things that technically is usually "limited" to 20'
I know, I know, it will usually go more - but if it won't pass 20' don't bitch about it because that's the general rule of thumb. And the cool thing about BT is there are so bloody many implementations of it. Some phones work GREAT with device A while others won't, and some will work with almost anything BT. Doesn't matter how much you want it to work - that's how it's been for as long as I remember. The bandwidth is also limited and speed is limited and that's why they can't use BT for carplay and AA and such. It can't handle it.

You want the thing to be smaller and yet want more power for BT?
There are practical limits to all things - they have to put in the BT system, accelerometers and handle all of the amperage for trailer brakes. Can't make it too small and do that. Those solenoids take some power and on a trailer like mine - there's 4 of 'em so they have to have the ability to switch and control.
You want it an inch thick and still be able to handle between 15 and 20 amps.
The most common amperage draw on a 7-inch brake magnet is somewhere around 3.2 amps maximum.
The amperage of a 10 or 12-inch brake magnet tends to max out at 4 amps.
This means that a double axle brake system would be drawing about 16 amps for a full emergency stop.
And think of the magnetic field that many amps running through a wire generates - especially when it's turned on and then off, inducing currents in things around it.
It takes some pretty heavy-duty device to stop my trailer when some ass pulls out in front of me when I'm hauling 5,000 pounds of car and want those trailer brakes fully engaged.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I see your occupation is ""Government". You of all people would know that the most expensive one would be best! :angel:
I wish it worked that way here. We have to send purchases out for bids. Lowest bid wins. It's how we got stuck with a fleet of GM trucks that are garbage.

+1 for the echo

It looks like OP did his homework. Ive had zero issues with my echo and will not buy anything else.

if you go with the echo you will be pleased.
After using the Echo I'll never go back to the painful installation of a brick under the dash. The Echo actually works great as advertised. Stops my 24' enclosed trailer better than the factory controllers.
Sponsored