Sponsored

DLAW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Nissan Pathfinder, '08 Honda Civic, '12 Honda CR-V, '16 Honda Odyssey, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Predicting the future
Can anyone point me in the direction of understanding more about the "4:1 Rock-Trac Full Time 4WD System" for $695?

Does this mean that Gladiators do not come stock with 4x4 to drive around at high speeds?
All the different variations of 4x4 are very confusing to me. I get that Rubicons have the low gear 4x4, and I also understand what the locks mean. But I assumed that even without all that rock crawling stuff, that a rubicon would have a traditional high gear 4x4 to drive at higher speeds. No?
Sponsored

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Can anyone point me in the direction of understanding more about the "4:1 Rock-Trac Full Time 4WD System" for $695?

Does this mean that Gladiators do not come stock with 4x4 to drive around at high speeds?
All the different variations of 4x4 are very confusing to me. I get that Rubicons have the low gear 4x4, and I also understand what the locks mean. But I assumed that even without all that rock crawling stuff, that a rubicon would have a traditional high gear 4x4 to drive at higher speeds. No?
It does. However, that is 4wd to be driven off the pavement or on loose surfaces. The full time 4wd system is an AWD system that you can drive on dry pavement and such.

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
It does. However, that is 4wd to be driven off the pavement or on loose surfaces. The full time 4wd system is an AWD system that you can drive on dry pavement and such.
From what I've read, the full time system will also come with front cv joints instead of u joints, and will likely have a clutch type power transfer device in the tcase that could wear out over time. The standard selectable t cases will likely be lower maintenance.

Surfer Boy

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Ordered my 2021 Gladiator Rubicon August 7th. I'm on week 5. Nothing yet. Only features I wanted was aux. switches and cargo gadgets in the back bed. The plug also for a Domestic cooler. First project will be 35" tires. Not sure what kind-recommendations. Will I need a lift with 35's? The 285 tires from the Gladiator will go on my 2008 2dr. Rubicon.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
From what I've read, the full time system will also come with front cv joints instead of u joints, and will likely have a clutch type power transfer device in the tcase that could wear out over time. The standard selectable t cases will likely be lower maintenance.
It’s nice to have, I used it a lot on my 2017 Canyon All Terrain. However, the weight distribution is so much better in the Canyon I’ve never felt the need for it.

Sponsored

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
It’s nice to have, I used it a lot on my 2017 Canyon All Terrain. However, the weight distribution is so much better in the Canyon I’ve never felt the need for it.
Have something similar in my 04 WJ Overland too. It has the "Quadradrive" system that has LSDs in the front and rear axles, and the clutch device in the tcase too. It's an ideal system for snowy roads, kick the skinny pedal for a second around a turn to lock everything up and it becomes a drift machine. One of the reasons I kept it along side the JT.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
My Sport S built with the same options as a 2021 has a sticker $1100 more.

Sponsored

thetruth1983

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
I tear down doors for a living
So there are 3 choices for side steps in the overland but the 2020 came with steps already. Does it still come with those steps if we don't choose one of the 3 on the builder?

Stevevdbh

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Manager
You are correct, same trans but higher torque rating... up to 750ft lb I believe.
Hey Glad92- where did you find the 7650 GVW for the diesel? I continue to hear no where near that? Thanks!

Gladiator_92

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport EcoDiesel
Occupation
Project Management
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Glad92- where did you find the 7650 GVW for the diesel? I continue to hear no where near that? Thanks!
I was just referring to the higher torque spec of the ZF HP75 trans that comes with the eco diesel over the HP50 that comes with the 3.6l. I am not sure about the towing but here is a chart from wiki on the torque capability of the different transmissions offered.
Jeep Gladiator 2021 Jeep Gladiator Build & Price is UP trans torque.PNG
Sponsored