Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD, 07 Mustang GT, 05 Hoe, 90 Fox body 393W
Occupation
USN Seabee (1994-2021Ret.) / Current status DoD Contractor
... I lose my "I love me" roof panel :-(

DSC01561.JPG
My roof panel on D side is similar, P side is for Park Patches...

Retired Seabee, now a DoD Contractor for Air Force... AF likes to give patches vs Coins... I need to paint my panels too, that really looks great.

20230329_100733.jpg

20230329_145759.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Flyin6

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com
Vehicle(s)
22AEV JT, 22 Ram 3500, Suburban 2500, 22 Caddy XT6
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aviator (military) Commercial pilot, rotary and fixed wing, Writer
Those are all units I served in or with along the way. AEV painted the interior that black color, and I agree, I like it too.

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Those are all units I served in or with along the way. AEV painted the interior that black color, and I agree, I like it too.
I'll see if I can find my coin from the Polish version of the CIA. It's pretty cool!

OP
OP
Flyin6

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I'll see if I can find my coin from the Polish version of the CIA. It's pretty cool!
How cool!
The Polish Airborne guys gave me something other than a hard time back in the day when we hosted them here in the US. They trained with the 101st down at Polk!!!! Wearing their wool uniforms...!!

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
How cool!
The Polish Airborne guys gave me something other than a hard time back in the day when we hosted them here in the US. They trained with the 101st down at Polk!!!! Wearing their wool uniforms...!!
They dont wear wool anymore. I got a set of uniforms from a friend and their uniforms are way nicer than ours. The fabric they use is kinda like a ripstop, and it's much lighter and breathable compared to our stuff. They even get issued boxers and an undershirt - kinda interesting but I guess that is their sleep 'uniform' these days. But that was almost 10 years ago now (man time flies) so things could have changed since then. I keep the uniform in my old bunk box as a reminder and to keep it nice cause they saved my @$$ more than once.

Sponsored

RacerAV

First Name
Adamo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Jeep Lover
So yea, I am cautious when screwing the cap off the valve stem on a tire because that can quickly lead to a Dana 60 and a 14-bolt conversion.
THIS

😂 Love it man! Keep it up!

Adamo

OP
OP
Flyin6

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
They dont wear wool anymore. I got a set of uniforms from a friend and their uniforms are way nicer than ours. The fabric they use is kinda like a ripstop, and it's much lighter and breathable compared to our stuff. They even get issued boxers and an undershirt - kinda interesting but I guess that is their sleep 'uniform' these days. But that was almost 10 years ago now (man time flies) so things could have changed since then. I keep the uniform in my old bunk box as a reminder and to keep it nice cause they saved my @$$ more than once.
For me, it was the Romanians down in southern Afghanistan. During the night they stole everything that wasn't welded down, but during the day would shoot everything that moved. We flew up on one of their convoys that was getting ambushed one day. We had two gunships and one slick. After about 15 minutes there were zero T-bags left to call home and tell momma how their day went. From then on, the Romanians stopped stealing our stuff. Heck, once they even stole a HMMV from us! Our MP's found it stuffed into the back of one of their C-130s.

A buddy of mine, a Colonel, is married to a girl from Romania and he owns a house there!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Flyin6

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Well, guess what happened?

The battery failed!

Came right out of the blue, and I do not know what caused it, but here's how it happened:

I took the truck to Zimmer Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram for a recall. All they were supposed to do was to reflash the computer, which they did. It was only at the dealer for about 1.5 hours. We picked it up, then drove it around some, then parked it for the night. The next morning the thing was completely dead. There is no jumping or starting charge for lithium like with a standard battery, so I ended up charging it all day long. At the end of the day, it still was not showing a full charge using the supplied Braille Lithium battery charger, but the engine started and everything operated normally.

We drove it to go out to eat, then parked it, Saturday night. I got up for the early Sunday church service and it was completely dead again. After church, I applied the battery charger once again and after charging it all day, it would not accept a charge and remained dead.

So now I have to wonder what happened? Did the Jeep people turn something on in my Jeep that is draining the battery? Did they hook up a conventional charger to the thing? Did someone cross some wires damaging a cell or two? Or did the battery just die of unnatural causes?

Well, there is a bigger issue in sharp focus here. You see, whatever killed the thing, the elephant in the room is the fact that the Jeep failed to start. So, suppose I was 50 miles up inside the Daniel Boone National Forest and woke up to this? The battery although feather light failed to be reliable. Now, we will investigate the thing to see if we can determine what happened, but in my view at the moment, it has failed the reliability test. That means it may well be too fragile for automotive day-to-day service. I am not completely sure about that, but I sure can point to a dead Jeep in my driveway! What does that mean you ask?

well, despite my stated parameters of reducing weight in the JT, I must first and always have reliability. That means I cannot simply replace the Braille battery with another Lithium unit. It means I will have to call this test a failure for reasons unknown and switch back to an AGM battery. I am disappointed, but it is what it is I suppose.

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR., 2021 JLU Altitude
Occupation
International Banker
Aw that really sucks. I had high hopes for this since I know my factory agm is on its last legs.

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Well, guess what happened?

The battery failed!

Came right out of the blue, and I do not know what caused it, but here's how it happened:

I took the truck to Zimmer Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram for a recall. All they were supposed to do was to reflash the computer, which they did. It was only at the dealer for about 1.5 hours. We picked it up, then drove it around some, then parked it for the night. The next morning the thing was completely dead. There is no jumping or starting charge for lithium like with a standard battery, so I ended up charging it all day long. At the end of the day, it still was not showing a full charge using the supplied Braille Lithium battery charger, but the engine started and everything operated normally.

We drove it to go out to eat, then parked it, Saturday night. I got up for the early Sunday church service and it was completely dead again. After church, I applied the battery charger once again and after charging it all day, it would not accept a charge and remained dead.

So now I have to wonder what happened? Did the Jeep people turn something on in my Jeep that is draining the battery? Did they hook up a conventional charger to the thing? Did someone cross some wires damaging a cell or two? Or did the battery just die of unnatural causes?

Well, there is a bigger issue in sharp focus here. You see, whatever killed the thing, the elephant in the room is the fact that the Jeep failed to start. So, suppose I was 50 miles up inside the Daniel Boone National Forest and woke up to this? The battery although feather light failed to be reliable. Now, we will investigate the thing to see if we can determine what happened, but in my view at the moment, it has failed the reliability test. That means it may well be too fragile for automotive day-to-day service. I am not completely sure about that, but I sure can point to a dead Jeep in my driveway! What does that mean you ask?

well, despite my stated parameters of reducing weight in the JT, I must first and always have reliability. That means I cannot simply replace the Braille battery with another Lithium unit. It means I will have to call this test a failure for reasons unknown and switch back to an AGM battery. I am disappointed, but it is what it is I suppose.
Man that is a real bummer. I was hoping it was actually going to work for you too. I can't say I am too surprised though. But, a few questions raise to mind that you already touched on. I doubt the shop put it on a charger. But, I do think it is highly possible that the update they did could have included a charging system change. That might explain things a little better. Although, it could also be just coincidence. But, I think it warrants chatting with some Jeep engineers and figuring out exactly what that update updated.

The good news though is Lithium, by now, is not necessarily new. So - why can't some company put a on board DC/DC charger on their batteries internals? I bet it is possible with some electrical engineering work. Maybe take that suggestion back to the company and see what they say?

As frustrating as it is, it is good data to have... Sucks you weren't able to easily shed a few more pounds though.

I also find that whole unable to jump start thing a big safety issue. Vehicles fail to start all the time for various reasons but to not start because of a battery is typically an easy fix of jumpstarting. Not being able to do that would have me very concerned about any remote travel.

Maybe, in talking with the company, you can also encourage them to do a destructive test? One reason I have always been drawn to AGM is the robustness and ability to handle tough vibrations and banging around. I don't know if these lithium batteries are able to handle that, or maybe they can even more.... But some destructive sampling and looking at the plates and internal connections might be able to help answer that.

Props for taking the time and risk to test it out though!!

Sponsored

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR., 2021 JLU Altitude
Occupation
International Banker
Help me out here. Why can't it be jump started? The purpose of a jump start is to borrow amps from the other vehicle to turn the starter. Why would the battery type prevent this? (I'm sure the answer will make me say "oh....duh" ...but at the moment I'm curious)

OP
OP
Flyin6

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Help me out here. Why can't it be jump started? The purpose of a jump start is to borrow amps from the other vehicle to turn the starter. Why would the battery type prevent this? (I'm sure the answer will make me say "oh....duh" ...but at the moment I'm curious)
It is not an "Oh-duh" answer but one that deals with the complexities of the lithium battery chemistry. I am no engineer, just a guy who destroys and pushes the stuff they build (As was just demonstrated). And having said that, I dare go no further for fear of stating something which will later be shown to be B.S.
Now, we are going to get into some analysis on this battery which will be heading back to it's US base in Sarasota. Perhaps they can shed more light on why it failed.
and
During the coming conversation, I will raise the question you just posed. If that all happens I will publish the answer here in the not-too-distant future.

OP
OP
Flyin6

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Man that is a real bummer. I was hoping it was actually going to work for you too. I can't say I am too surprised though. But, a few questions raise to mind that you already touched on. I doubt the shop put it on a charger. But, I do think it is highly possible that the update they did could have included a charging system change. That might explain things a little better. Although, it could also be just coincidence. But, I think it warrants chatting with some Jeep engineers and figuring out exactly what that update updated.

The good news though is Lithium, by now, is not necessarily new. So - why can't some company put a on board DC/DC charger on their batteries internals? I bet it is possible with some electrical engineering work. Maybe take that suggestion back to the company and see what they say?

As frustrating as it is, it is good data to have... Sucks you weren't able to easily shed a few more pounds though.

I also find that whole unable to jump start thing a big safety issue. Vehicles fail to start all the time for various reasons but to not start because of a battery is typically an easy fix of jumpstarting. Not being able to do that would have me very concerned about any remote travel.

Maybe, in talking with the company, you can also encourage them to do a destructive test? One reason I have always been drawn to AGM is the robustness and ability to handle tough vibrations and banging around. I don't know if these lithium batteries are able to handle that, or maybe they can even more.... But some destructive sampling and looking at the plates and internal connections might be able to help answer that.

Props for taking the time and risk to test it out though!!
It's all good
Nothing ventured, nothing gained, and all that...
I feel fine that I was able to run the thing and provide this little test. Not all that scientific, but more appropriate to "we who have boots on the ground" so to speak. Corky, I agree with you about the fragility of this platform, and the inability to jump it. In full disclosure, I own two lithium jumper batteries, which I carried just in case. Funny, but I used to employ them to start up my huge Kobelco SK-250 excavator when those forklift batteries were not up to task. I had little doubt one of those would crank this little V6.
I am going to have to find weight savings somewhere else and am now on the hunt for a lightweight AGM to power the JT.

OP
OP
Flyin6

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I found a bunch of warnings, but this seems to be a prevalent thought:
A deeply discharged lithium battery needs to be recharged very carefully, but a high-voltage shock, like you get with a jump start, could cause severe damage, and even make it explode or catch fire.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Weight vs risk at this point

Chief you wanna complete a risk assessment for us 😂😂😂😂
Sponsored