First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I bet that 90 to 95% of stolen vehicles are a crime of opportunity…

Yes you can spend a ton of money to put in the latest anti theft system and still not be 100% safe. So the decision is what/how to keep your Gladiator safe.

For me, a good home security system, keeping all my vehicles locked and using Air Tags has kept my vehicles secure even though I own a couple of the most stolen vehicles around…

I understand that some of you guys, particularly those who are younger and live in an apartment etc. have a tougher time but a little common sense will help all of us.
Sponsored

ErylFlynn

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkn Mojave, 2008 JK Unlimited Det Yellow
I was considering if I could get a male and female connector for the push button start you could splice that to a switch but use a switch that is factory BUT not used for your option pack. For example swap out the panel for the inverter and use that to enable/disable the push to start button.

Would be an effective kill switch. My only thought is, can you hook to the OBD port and start, as I know Hoot has mentioned that they can access the bus. And not sure where to get the harness except maybe buying an after market remote start kit, seems they wire inline to the start button.

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
I don't live in a high crime area but a recent warning was put out by the sheriff to be on the alert. Methheads have been wandering out further than their usual routines. So now I just leave the car doors unlocked and keep the valuables in the house. No need for a broken window. I suppose getting in our jeeps is not much of a concern if they can already start them and drive away. Putting these thieves away needs to be a priority. Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I went there and had to stop myself from posting the forbidden.
Same. The fact that officials blame the victims and say 'well it's your fault you left valuables in your car' is insanity. Washington state recently put out a suggestion that 'you should consider buying a 'trail' car that has no valuables in it and is not an expensive vehicle so if it is broken into or stolen then you are not out a lot of money." Really? Then what happened.... people complied, and druggies went around slashing tires, keying cars, breaking windows out of spite - some were actually caught and interviewed and they said 'well its your fault you didnt leave something I could steel so I destroyed it to send a message'.

It's funny how criminals receive more protections than citizens, yet citizens are not allowed to protect themselves or their property. @$$ backwards. But nothing new there.....

hey why do you have so many daisies in your back yard by the way?

Bjeepz

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave

Yes you can spend a ton of money to put in the latest anti theft system and still not be 100% safe. So the decision is what/how to keep your Gladiator safe.

For me, a good home security system, keeping all my vehicles locked and using Air Tags has kept my vehicles secure even though I own a couple of the most stolen vehicles around…

I understand that some of you guys, particularly those who are younger and live in an apartment etc. have a tougher time but a little common sense will help all of us.
Please tell me more about common sense…. Like maybe I shouldn’t travel for medical appointments and stay in a hotel? My Jeep typically doesn’t fit in the average garage underground parking.. An air tag isn’t going to do anything.

RudeJeepin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
His were all gas, not diesel. Better a damaged fuel pump than stolen though.
I figured you were talking about gasoline rigs.
Just thought I'd mention it for us diesel owners.

Pushing $1,000 for a high pressure fuel pump, not counting labor if you can't do the work yourself, plus down time. I wouldn't want to do anything to risk it. Not to mention potential for collateral damage.
Just saying, but that me.

Sponsored

Jerhemi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting-Gray Willys

Bud, it’s organized crime up here. Not kids with flathead screwdrivers. Thieves are cloning our fobs with antennas and laptops. Storing your keys in an RFID box helps stop this but isn’t 100% going to stop them. Google some of the recent busts in the Toronto area.

Cars are being taken out of our driveways (not parking lots)…. not just Jeeps, high end cars as well. The air tags are pointless unless the thief is an amateur…there are tools that detect tracking tabs.

49Gramps

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired Fire & EMS Dispatcher
For car thieves, time is a luxury. If they're towing, perhaps parking or leaving it in 4wd may thwart or slow them down. If they're entering the vehicle to start it electronically, even a tazer with a pin will slow them down.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Bud, it’s organized crime up here. Not kids with flathead screwdrivers. Thieves are cloning our fobs with antennas and laptops. Storing your keys in an RFID box helps stop this but isn’t 100% going to stop them. Google some of the recent busts in the Toronto area.

Cars are being taken out of our driveways (not parking lots)…. not just Jeeps, high end cars as well. The air tags are pointless unless the thief is an amateur…there are tools that detect tracking tabs.
I have no doubt that there is some organized crime gangs at work and I’m sorry you have to live in an area that deals with that. Short of moving maybe you can consider what my uncle did with his Ferrari when he was living in NYC in the 80’s. Since he lived in a condo and only had on street parking he found someone who rented his garage space to him and he bought a POS beater to park on the street and use as his daily driver.

It’s shame that a friggin Jeep is considered worth stealing nowdays in some areas..
Sponsored