Sponsored

2H on overland

Redcomet17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Never had a truck before, gladiator is my first and first Jeep. I always have my overland on 2H. Today I went to my local landfill. Should i have shifted to 4H while I was there?
Sponsored

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester
Did you get stuck? Or are you asking if you should throw it in 4h just to run it for a bit?
I have a Rubicon and try to engage the lockers and disconnect the sway bar about once a month. I had a Power Wagon which is the Rubicon package on a 3/4 ton pickup and I didn't do that and I ended up having a lot of trouble getting the lockers to engage after a while.

If you find yourself on a dirt road it wouldn't hurt to pull the lever and make the system work.

If you are asking if you needed to, well if you didn't get stuck you didn't need to.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Never had a truck before, gladiator is my first and first Jeep. I always have my overland on 2H. Today I went to my local landfill. Should i have shifted to 4H while I was there?
I don't know if it's necessary, but I do it occasionally just to try and keep things lubricated. Best to avoid doing it on dry pavement.

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Basically agree with the answers above. Even if overlanding, it's worth running whatever parts of the route you can in 2H to save gas--range can become critical much more often than you realize. Closed gas stations, broken pumps, GPS mistakes on gas station locations, closed roads, etc, can all force you to drive longer to refuel. But always want to be in 4-high (or low) before you actually need it. IOW, don't wait to get stuck to drive in the correct mode. If you rarely use 4WD, I agree with above that it's a good idea to engage it now and then--even at the dump, as long as it's on dirt. Better to find out there that something isn't working right, than to find out when you really need that something to work.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon GATOR
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
RWas it wet soft loose snowing or raining. Then no
Sponsored