First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon GATOR
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
So I have been scouring the site and. I keep coming across these early posts saying. Stuff like. “ it is my daily driver so they aren’t practical but cool” or. 37s will wear your ball joints, axels, brakes. Etc too much” yards yada yada.
Now it seems like that perspective has changed.
Have you changed your mind from the early days? Why?
Sponsored

Silvertruck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Never changed my mind. Started with a mopar lift but eventually went bigger. 37s always in the plan, truck came with them and side by side for me it was a no brainer. I hope we have addressed all the obvious weak points in the drivetrain by doing some pretty major upgrades to steering and front axle. Its still a mild build but the piece of mind is good.

and we replaced all the ball joints, etc for good measure along the way.

OP
OP
wanderer

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon GATOR
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Never changed my mind. Started with a mopar lift but eventually went bigger. 37s always in the plan, truck came with them and side by side for me it was a no brainer. I hope we have addressed all the obvious weak points in the drivetrain by doing some pretty major upgrades to steering and front axle. Its still a mild build but the piece of mind is good.

and we replaced all the ball joints, etc for good measure along the way.
What did you do to the steering and front axle? What about ball joints ? Aftermarket?

DeezJT

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pending
Occupation
Process Engineer
Wear and tear items are wear and tear regardless of what size tire you choose so it really doesn’t matter to me for choosing my tire size as I will upgrade and fix anyways.

Regear is debatable as each of our use, location, terrain, and mods are all different.

I was back and forth with 35’s and 37’s but saw another JT w/ 37’s and that eventually led me to my decision as I preferred the look over 35’s.

Silvertruck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
What did you do to the steering and front axle? What about ball joints ? Aftermarket?
We upgraded steering with synergy sector shaft brace, yeti track bar, RPM Steering Aluminum 2.5 ton drag link and tie rod, fox steering stabilizer with relo kit, one ton dana spicer ball joints, and trussed the front axle to reinforce FAD housing, and gusseted the C members holding the knuckles. Also put in full skids. Motobilt diff cover over 4.88 dana spicer gears. Arb cover out back, a stronger iron piece.

we also replaced the upper and lower control arms to get pinion angle and caster back in spec, lowers first then did all the rest when we put on the larger lift.

check out my build thread, details it all. No pops, creaks, bounce, wandering, vibes, or pulling. Steers on center rides great.

Sponsored

MoparToYou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I changed my attitude with this truck. I had had 37s on a TJ, and a couple of JK's before this truck, and thought that they affected handling too much. So I started with 35s on this truck, only to find out that they were not enough tire for some of the terrain I got into while back country exploring. 35's are too small for this truck when used off road. I switched to 37s and it is working much better off road, and I can't tell a difference on road. 37s do not feel like too much tire for this truck, or negatively affect handling at all while on the highway. I think Jeep already took care of many of the weak links with the Mojave model. It already comes with a reinforced frame, thicker axle tubes, cast knuckles, and 4.10 gears. I added a forged Teraflex front track bar and Teraflex front lower control arms. It drives great.

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2015 911 C2S
There's a lot more to running these larger tires on the modern Jeeps compared to a TJ. Wheelbase, axle width, break over etc are all vastly different and the balljoint wearing faster isn't wrong, but if you're wheeling these things on 33s, you'll wear them out fast as well. Regearing is definitely required for my Sport, going 488s and I had 37s on my JLUR and still think I would have regeared eventually if I kept and liked it more.

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
We upgraded steering with synergy sector shaft brace, yeti track bar, RPM Steering Aluminum 2.5 ton drag link and tie rod, fox steering stabilizer with relo kit, one ton dana spicer ball joints, and trussed the front axle to reinforce FAD housing, and gusseted the C members holding the knuckles. Also put in full skids. Motobilt diff cover over 4.88 dana spicer gears. Arb cover out back, a stronger iron piece.

we also replaced the upper and lower control arms to get pinion angle and caster back in spec, lowers first then did all the rest when we put on the larger lift.

check out my build thread, details it all. No pops, creaks, bounce, wandering, vibes, or pulling. Steers on center rides great.
Mild build?! So modest lol. You're Jeep Truck is a beast!

Silvertruck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Mild build?! So modest lol. You're Jeep Truck is a beast!
thanks! With the level of aftermarket potential (D60’s, coilovers, power adders, motor swaps, 40”+ tires) I’d still say silvertruck is a mild build. But for me doing these things would exceed my use case for the truck. These things also tend to light savings accounts on fire.

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
thanks! With the level of aftermarket potential (D60’s, coilovers, power adders, motor swaps, 40”+ tires) I’d still say silvertruck is a mild build. But for me doing these things would exceed my use case for the truck. These things also tend to light savings accounts on fire.
Yep that's true, all a matter of perspective I guess. Oh and all those things are on my powerball winnings wishlist!

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tomb Raider Rubicon, 2020 Rubicon Gladiator
So I have been scouring the site and. I keep coming across these early posts saying. Stuff like. “ it is my daily driver so they aren’t practical but cool” or. 37s will wear your ball joints, axels, brakes. Etc too much” yards yada yada.
Now it seems like that perspective has changed.
Have you changed your mind from the early days? Why?
I started with 38" Patagonias on a 4.5" EVO lift and the only upgrade that might come eventually will be 39" BFG or 38" Falken MTs for better potential in desert and mountain trails. I'm running Steer Smarts track bar and I have the Steer Smarts Drag Link and tie rod )with aluminum tie rod to install along with a front Adams driveshaft.

I drive 70 miles roundtrip to my work and of any downtime, I have my 2003 TJ Rubicon as a backup.

I don't see any reason to downsize to a 35" tire, although I have run my OEM AT3Ws when I had a trail run to make and a bad valve stem that needed to get changed out. My wife complains about the step in height of the truck, and I plan to get some rocker protection that doubles as a step.
Jeep Gladiator 37s. Changing. Attitudes PXL_20201129_004854061
Sponsored