392 wrangler

timo

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Diesel
My thoughts are they are offering the V-8 Wrangler as a reaction to the Bronco as direct competion to the Wrangler. It certainly would make more sense to have a more powerful engine offering in the Gladiator since it's capable of towing so much more. However, Jeep needs to up their game on the Wrangler NOW, to keep some from looking over the fence at Ford. The great thing about all of this is we get more options to consider.
Sponsored

willjtl

First Name
william
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep Gladiator rubicons launch edition
Occupation
Sales professional
Vehicle Showcase
They should done it age ago, totally down to swap my v6 to 392, $35k for a swap just not worth it

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
Am I the only one that would prefer a 5.9 Cummins?

RidinDirty

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Nice idea but unclear whether it will ever see the light of day. I hope it does but the Bronco is going to be a fierce competitor.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Am I the only one that would prefer a 5.9 Cummins?
I prefer the 6.7 over the 5.9... But the weight would be WAY too heavy. The 6.7 engine by itself with the turbo & accessory setups weighs in around 1000 lbs... That's WAY too heavy for a Wrangler.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
ok ok...modded 4bt

I prefer the 6.7 over the 5.9... But the weight would be WAY too heavy. The 6.7 engine by itself with the turbo & accessory setups weighs in around 1000 lbs... That's WAY too heavy for a Wrangler.

Chadnutz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 F-350 4x4
Why can't we just get a 4.xL V8? Why does it have to be a monster that the drivetrain can't handle?

Who am I kidding? If they can't put a manual behind the diesel, they won't behind a V8 either..

MoparDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR manual /2023 ZLE manual /2018 Demon #1399
I think Jeep would be better off also offering a factory "Big Boy" package across the entire Wrangler and Gladiator line that includes 35/37 inch tires on 17's and some suspension mods.

That would sell a ton more than the 392 IMO and would be a kick to the Bronco's nuts....

Para-Jeep

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Honestly I think Jeep should take a step back and look at its Wrangler and Gladiator platforms and see what they can do to make more packages for the consumer ( to include affordable)I hate to say it but the Bronco is going to have so many packages to offer that Jeep needs to rethink it’s game. I am like most I like the idea of a larger engine right off the lot, I think the 5.7 would be plenty of power for the max-tow. Hell I would love to have that in my max-tow right now. There are so many 5.7’s in the FCA line up I really think it could stay affordable and be along the lines of a basic ram 1500 price

Sponsored

Dwosgood

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2000 TJ
Honestly I think Jeep should take a step back and look at its Wrangler and Gladiator platforms and see what they can do to make more packages for the consumer ( to include affordable)I hate to say it but the Bronco is going to have so many packages to offer that Jeep needs to rethink it’s game. I am like most I like the idea of a larger engine right off the lot, I think the 5.7 would be plenty of power for the max-tow. Hell I would love to have that in my max-tow right now. There are so many 5.7’s in the FCA line up I really think it could stay affordable and be along the lines of a basic ram 1500 price
Let me get a Hemi with Max Tow...

Or a Sport S with Mojave suspension and drivetrain.

Or a Hemi in a Mojave without all the leather seat creature comfort stuff.

Or a base Sport with Rubicon suspension.

Para-Jeep

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
@Dwosgood I completely agree. I Would love to see options across the board and that will not brake the bank. Jeep will get there I am sure and we all know people will pay anything to have it. It’s crazy to me that the Gladiator, including the wrangler, can get up to the same price for a full size truck

Dwosgood

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2000 TJ
@Dwosgood I completely agree. I Would love to see options across the board and that will not brake the bank. Jeep will get there I am sure and we all know people will pay anything to have it. It’s crazy to me that the Gladiator, including the wrangler, can get up to the same price for a full size truck
Because Jeep knows we are suckers for their product.

Before I bought my JT for $42k I was seriously considering a 2019 Ram Big Horn for the same price. I just couldn’t pass up having another Jeep in my driveway, although for practicality sake, the Ram would have made much more sense. I’m a sucker for Jeeps - if my wife wouldn’t murder me in the process of procurement, I’d own at least one from every generation.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
My thoughts are they are offering the V-8 Wrangler as a reaction to the Bronco as direct competition to the Wrangler. It certainly would make more sense to have a more powerful engine offering in the Gladiator since it's capable of towing so much more. However, Jeep needs to up their game on the Wrangler NOW, to keep some from looking over the fence at Ford. The great thing about all of this is we get more options to consider.
My guess you are correct about this and so is Hootbro about the numbers. Lots more Wranglers to sell.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
They're developing a new I6, based off the 2.0l. Was expected to debut in the Wagoneer or possibly the next GC.

It has a goal of being no more than 3 inches longer than the 2.4l Tigershark engine.

Supposedly 3.0l, which makes sense if it's based on the 2.0l, and also to avoid European taxes on displacements over 3.0.
Anyone up for a new 3.0L Slant Six turbo?
Sponsored