First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Stingray Gray
Occupation
Sales
Well, I did it. 5.13's are installed and I'm glad I went that direction. Feels a little peppier than stock with 37's and 270 extra pounds. Shift points are where they should be in 2H, 4H and 4LO. A little apprehensive the 200lbs of roof rack and roof top tent will will make it feel sluggish again. One of the reasons I'm building a custom rack, inspired by @EWP, to be super low profile and lightweight.

For Colorado locals who are interested, I got it done at Black Label Off-Road in Golden, Co. Price was reasonable at $1750 including the break in and the fluid change in 500 miles.
Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Well, I did it. 5.13's are installed and I'm glad I went that direction. Feels a little peppier than stock with 37's and 270 extra pounds. Shift points are where they should be in 2H, 4H and 4LO. A little apprehensive the 200lbs of roof rack and roof top tent will will make it feel sluggish again. One of the reasons I'm building a custom rack, inspired by @EWP, to be super low profile and lightweight.

For Colorado locals who are interested, I got it done at Black Label Off-Road in Golden, Co. Price was reasonable at $1750 including the break in and the fluid change in 500 miles.
Torque multiplication with 5:13s is awesome for me in the manual. You will be pleasantly surprised at the big hills you can pull and the stop light to stop light performance.

aevgladitorrubi

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Med Sales
Vehicle Showcase
I'm there, at the end of my list of must haves for the Gladiator... Gears. This is my daily driver, averaging around 150 miles a day during the week. I also like to hunt and camp at the end of the 4x4 roads where it's a little quieter, more remote and tougher to get to in your average 4x4. Not a dedicated rack krawler or towing vehicle. Currently running 37" Falken Wildpeak MT's, I will not ever go larger or smaller.

4.88's or 5.13's?

Shop recommendations Denver area? I'll probably ask them their recommendation on size as well...

Brand recommendation? Any I should avoid?
IMG_4429.jpeg

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Hyundai Veracruz & 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon LE

Good deal - I am confident you made the best choice. Congrats!

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
That said, Ive never heard anyone regretting 5.13. I chose 4.88 because
I wouldn't call it regret, but to do over again I would of gone 4.88's.. The 5.13's are normally great, but on the rare occasion I get onto the highway seeing my mileage drop to 11 or 12 at 80mph (speed limit on the interstate outside of town here) is a bit of a buzzkill. At 60-65ph though its over 20 mpg and this is my normal high speed outside of road trips.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I wouldn't call it regret, but to do over again I would of gone 4.88's.. The 5.13's are normally great, but on the rare occasion I get onto the highway seeing my mileage drop to 11 or 12 at 80mph (speed limit on the interstate outside of town here) is a bit of a buzzkill. At 60-65ph though its over 20 mpg and this is my normal high speed outside of road trips.
I just drove from LA to San Diego and back. I was driving between 70 and 83 mph the whole way depending on traffic with ESC always off. I have 5:13s, the manual transmission, 37" tires. I set my speedo with a GPS, and my overall mileage for the weekend was 15.3 mpg. I got on it a few times in the city , showing off my 5:13s, so, I am very, very happy with that mileage number.
I noticed that my 5:13 equipped Gladiator gets better mileage on the hwy at high speed, if you follow a quick gas pedal on/off process with a feather touch, ie. feather touch, let off, let it roll, feather touch, let off, let it roll. So, get up to the speed you want, then, if you follow this process at speed, I noticed mileage goes up.
Sponsored

Last edited: