Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Actually my wife does about 1000 miles per month. The great thing is that as soon as she comes home she plugs in and gets some charge before she goes back out. Because she uses so little going to and from school it doesn’t take long to top it off. Same thing for weekend driving. It’s charged when she leaves. She plugs in when she gets home. She will go back out again with a full charge.
Level II - about 2 1/4 hours to charge and the last part always takes the longest so it could be half charged in under an hour?

Jobofly

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 2022 JTM
It’s pretty fast. I think it’s 2 hours from zero. Usually it still has 3-4 bars when she plugs it in.

Andy@AAV

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Toyota Tacoma TRD
Occupation
Engineer
I’ve been very happy with my 4xe, and I’ve been waiting to see what they do new with the gladiator version. Hoping for some extra range (I get to work and back most days on electric alone) and a better payload.

BourbonRunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Money Pit
Occupation
Foole
Actually my wife does about 1000 miles per month. The great thing is that as soon as she comes home she plugs in and gets some charge before she goes back out. Because she uses so little going to and from school it doesn’t take long to top it off. Same thing for weekend driving. It’s charged when she leaves. She plugs in when she gets home. She will go back out again with a full charge.
Copy that and certainly the convenience factor of topping off while at home or work plays into the overall consideration, and it's an important one.

But...
1000 miles per month at 3.71/gal = $195.
If you are not filling up but once a month and going around 1/4 tank, you're about $50 each month in fuel costs.
Your $45 increase in utility means your net savings is about $105/m.

At that rate the savings kick in several years after you've bought it, if ever.

My original point remains that these aren't as big of an economic savings as they are marketed to be. If anything, it appears that the money is just getting shuffled around and washes out.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My original point remains that these aren't as big of an economic savings as they are marketed to be. If anything, it appears that the money is just getting shuffled around and washes out.
Works out for us, but them electricity is cheap and the driving habits fit.
It would mean more if we were still commuting to work.
I'm not really sure they were marketed as a savings thing. But if they were, you still have the power of a V8 with reduced "fuel" costs.

We'll see how things work out long term - like when warranties start to expire, that sort of thing. Still a lot yet to be seen.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
I do not own a 4xe Wrangler, but I have driven a Sahara 4xe. I also don’t own a 392 but have a friend that owns one. I’ve driven it several times along with a Wangler with a swapped in 392 Scat Pack (505hp). Of course, I own a HA diesel Gladiator.

These are my observations: I want to like the 4xe because I’m intrigued by the tech. I drove a ’23 4xe Sahara for a day while my diesel Gladiator was getting the CP4 pump replacement. I’m thinking the folks talking like the 4xe drives like a 392 Wrangler or a diesel must not have driven either. The 4xe is “ok”, but it’s no beast. The diesel has torque for days and based on back-to-back driving creams the 4xe. The 392 isn’t in the same league, and the Scat Pack was just awesome.

I wanted to like the 4xe and seriously thought about picking up a Wrangler Rubicon 4xe to go with our diesel Gladiator, but I was underwhelmed. I can’t see it being an awesome powertrain in the Gladiator without some changes.

I‘ll be Interested to see what the specs look like when it releases later this year. Here’s to hoping that Stelanis does something cool.
You most likely had it in 2h and weren't getting the full beans or even close to it. The 4xe is really only exhilarating when it's worked super hard with the engine on and in 4h or else it pulls massive amounts of torque and HP.

The diesel is slower accelerating on 33s than my wife's 4xe is on 39s just for comparison and the 4xe on full power mode is literally identical 0-30 as a 392. Now the 392 is way more fun with the noise and ruckus and after 30 it's not even close. The smile the 392 puts on your face is also way bigger than a 4xe as nothing compares to a large displacement V8, except a supercharged large displacement V8 ?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You most likely had it in 2h and weren't getting the full beans or even close to it. The 4xe is really only exhilarating when it's worked super hard with the engine on and in 4h or else it pulls massive amounts of torque and HP.

The diesel is slower accelerating on 33s than my wife's 4xe is on 39s just for comparison and the 4xe on full power mode is literally identical 0-30 as a 392. Now the 392 is way more fun with the noise and ruckus and after 30 it's not even close. The smile the 392 puts on your face is also way bigger than a 4xe as nothing compares to a large displacement V8, except a supercharged large displacement V8 ?
Yup - torque limited in 2H
But in 4H it really shines.

I refer back to this video again -

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, sold, 2023 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Retirement Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Beats the 392 in HP and torque.
The 392 Wrangler goes zero to 60 in 4.5 seconds and had 470hp & 470lbs of torque just off idle. So a 4XE beats that ?

496C4456-CA77-44B3-A685-AE1F6AD14EB0.jpeg

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
The 392 Wrangler goes zero to 60 in 4.5 seconds and had 470hp & 470lbs of torque just off idle. So a 4XE beats that ?

496C4456-CA77-44B3-A685-AE1F6AD14EB0.jpeg
Torque they're equal with the 4xe having a better torque curve as electric motors make max torque from 0 rpm so it peaks about 1k rpm sooner, horsepower it's still down like 100 HP on the 392 which is why after 30 the 4xe will only catch up at the next gas station.

Again though this is assuming you are in 4h with the gas engine lit. The 4xe is a bit like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, in normal every day with casual driving it drives like a regular jl, but push it hard enough for it to realize you want to go for a romp and it's a completely different animal.

Sponsored

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, sold, 2023 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Retirement Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Torque they're equal with the 4xe having a better torque curve as electric motors make max torque from 0 rpm so it peaks about 1k rpm sooner, horsepower it's still down like 100 HP on the 392 which is why after 30 the 4xe will only catch up at the next gas station.

Again though this is assuming you are in 4h with the gas engine lit. The 4xe is a bit like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, in normal every day with casual driving it drives like a regular jl, but push it hard enough for it to realize you want to go for a romp and it's a completely different animal.
392 has a factory built in launch control it’s in the manual and it’s all time 4WD. You basically step on the brake and throttle up to 2000 rpm then launch and it goes like a spotted ape, i would also have it in Off-road + . 4XE is also amazing power.

asrricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon in Granite Crystal
You are correct and unless you drive a typical hybrid long distance it never really fully charges. The plug in allows you to charge without having to run the motor so you can always have more EV only on but, and it’s a big butt, yiu don’t get a ton of additional EV only model because:

1) the battery packs aren’t large
2)the all electric motors are still not big and powerful and supplement the gas. All EV mode and not using the gas is like operating in limo m

I have yet to meet one PHEV member owner that can go EV all week in town getting groceries and going to work. That’s with smaller lighter more efficient plug in hybrids. Thee is zero chance the Wrangler and especially Gladiator is accomplishing that. Below 33 degrees and that 30 mile EV range is 10. I would think thr mall crawler (new to that term) is going to be more happy in thr Wrangler 4xe.

I had a coworker who had an early Highlander hybrid and he would make a game out of driving on EV only mode and try not to kick in the gas. It was annoying as shit because he would drive around super slow and accelerate slower than a person. Now it’s a lot better now especially with a plug in but the limitation and that “game” is still there:

I think it’s more likely the Gladiator mall crawlers will want to do some mild payload use truck stuff, a pickup and now that 30 miles range is even less usable.

Listen I’m not hating on a hybrid Gladiator. I am likely interested in one if it’s done right. I’m just trying to point out that it is literally never going to be a part time EV only vehicle even for in town use.
This argument is certainly valid and what I have read may times by people making the case that the vehicles should just go full EV. However I don't think that the gladiator customers and use cases will be served by current EV technology.

Now if they could manage to put the RAM charger powertrain into the gladiator that would be awesome but then it would be a $90k truck.

DailyDrivenTJ

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTRD, 1999 TJ-6 HEMI, 1998TJ, 2000 XJ 4.6L
I do not own a 4xe Wrangler, but I have driven a Sahara 4xe. I also don’t own a 392 but have a friend that owns one. I’ve driven it several times along with a Wangler with a swapped in 392 Scat Pack (505hp). Of course, I own a HA diesel Gladiator.

These are my observations: I want to like the 4xe because I’m intrigued by the tech. I drove a ’23 4xe Sahara for a day while my diesel Gladiator was getting the CP4 pump replacement. I’m thinking the folks talking like the 4xe drives like a 392 Wrangler or a diesel must not have driven either. The 4xe is “ok”, but it’s no beast. The diesel has torque for days and based on back-to-back driving creams the 4xe. The 392 isn’t in the same league, and the Scat Pack was just awesome.

I wanted to like the 4xe and seriously thought about picking up a Wrangler Rubicon 4xe to go with our diesel Gladiator, but I was underwhelmed. I can’t see it being an awesome powertrain in the Gladiator without some changes.

I‘ll be Interested to see what the specs look like when it releases later this year. Here’s to hoping that Stelanis does something cool.
I tend to read a lot of negatives of diesel on Gladiator and most of the argument starts with diesel is expensive and the ROI by driving diesel and saving is nill. Yet no one makes the same comparison with 392.

IMO, diesel option was a performance option despite the name EcoDiesel for the gladiator and it was priced accordingly.

I got my JTRD because it was diesel and that was the primary reason I got it. It has ton of torque all day long under 2K while gas 3.6 has to scream to match. Most nay sayers don't seem to recognize that at all. The better fuel economy is just a cherry on top.

I would also be interested in how the 4xe updates itself with Gladiator. It seems like it may bridge the gap the diesel could not for the city dwellers and economy conscious buyers.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
Jeep CEO Antonio Filosa has just confirmed the 2025 Jeep Gladiator 4xe hybrid (PHEV)!

In a post on Linkedin, Filosa revealed this by saying "Next year, we’ll extend that freedom of choice even further with a Gladiator 4xe option."
I have been waiting for the 4XE, but as I did when the Gladiator first came out, I'll wait a couple of years to see how they are doing.
Sponsored