Sponsored

7 Inch Radio Group a $2,085 Upgrade over 5 inch?

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
C870A457-27D2-408F-B8CB-D4C010A5DB46.jpeg
Less than $600 just for the system. Add something for the installation. But still truck loads less than what Jeep charges for anything bigger than 5 inches. You can get a much better screen if you don’t want or need a CD player. But hey I got lots of CD’s, many of which are not available on I-Tunes.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Evilhomer 0||||||||0

Evilhomer 0||||||||0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Nice head unit for sure Jake. A few folks seem hesitant to pull out the factory deck. But it seems to me a maestro data kink and harness will let you keep oem integration. I certainly won't dispute oem looking better and with Bluetooth and car play, there is little reason to upgrade.

But, still can't get past eating 2000 bucks so I don't have to look at crappy 5 inch toy stereo to upgrade to what should be stock radio. I'm warming up to these aftermarket head units.

OP
OP
Evilhomer 0||||||||0

Evilhomer 0||||||||0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Just and update to the plan and seeing what others have planed for the stereo.

Planning of complete aftermarket install, HU, Sub/Amp and all new speakers.

Budget is going to be $3000-4000.

I'm hoping that budget gets me into high end range JL audio speakers, Focal etc. We will see after I get a quote in Mid August. For those with the 5 inch group, the only integration to be concerned with is the steering wheel control. (If this thing is similar to JL). There are adapters for this, but as of yet I don't think there are many "kits" for the install of a HU, but the shop should be able to get something installed. There a few solid choices for Head Units with a shallow mounting depth.

I was originally planning on waiting for an Insane Audio head unit version to come out but I'm not leaning that way now. Some may consider putting a stereo in before wheels/lift/tires, but I'm more an audio guy than an offrroad guy.

Anyone else do any upgrades or planning one yet?

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Will be interesting to see what after market system you end up with. Please post pictures and let folks know what it ends up costing for the main head unit in your dash.
Now you have me wondering if there’s room for a CD player built into the head unit.

Sponsored

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
I much prefer the winters in Satellite Beach Florida, they are remarkably mild and the women instinctively flow like the salmon of Capistrano.....
huh? "salmon (?) of Capistrano" ? Is that "a thing"? I'm picturing the women "flowing" at Satellite Beach, yeeeessss !

Bunker_Bear

First Name
Bear
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
For whatever it's worth, I stopped by a dealer and it looks like the mounting slot is the same for the 5", 7", and 8"...the dash itself appears to be the same for the 5" and 8" but the 7" has a bit of plastic dash trim over the lower portion of the infotainment area.

I got an email back from insaneaudio about their JL and JT release. They confirmed the model they are designing will fit both the JL and JT but did not say (would not say) which Jeep stock unit it is intended to replace. The new unit is due out in September.

Based on the information I have, I would assume it will replace the 5" or 8". People with the 5" would be more likely to want an upgrade and it gives the most real estate for a new insane unit.

If I can confirm this then I will be ordering a Sport S with the 5" and then using the savings $ for an insaneaudio unit in September.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Here's the thing that worries me about going aftermarket: The factory system controls LOTS of things on the vehicle. For example, my HVAC, Aux switches, seat heaters, steering wheel heater, DRLs, door locks, etc. etc. etc. are all configured through the touch screen via the UConnect software. If a guy replaces that head unit with an aftermarket unit of another brand, how is that going to integrate with all of the vehicle hardware?

Somehow I don't think this is the same as it was 20 years ago when we could replace the head unit in 5 minutes with anything we wanted and roll on down the road.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
Here's the thing that worries me about going aftermarket: The factory system controls LOTS of things on the vehicle. For example, my HVAC, Aux switches, seat heaters, steering wheel heater, DRLs, door locks, etc. etc. etc. are all configured through the touch screen via the UConnect software. If a guy replaces that head unit with an aftermarket unit of another brand, how is that going to integrate with all of the vehicle hardware?

Somehow I don't think this is the same as it was 20 years ago when we could replace the head unit in 5 minutes with anything we wanted and roll on down the road.
therein lies the problem......

OP
OP
Evilhomer 0||||||||0

Evilhomer 0||||||||0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator

Your concerns are correct, however idatalink makes adapters to retain OEM functions. On the 5inch that is merely steering volume and nothing else. The 7 and 8.4 are another story, so I'm not sure what can be kept. I'll dig into that and update.

The insane and alpine refresh will retain all OEM functions.

I agree though, if you can swing the 7 or 8.4 head unit, your in the best scenario. Speakers are much less of headache to do alone.

I think due to initial cost many sport s owners stuck with the 5 inch will be looking for upgrades, whether factory or aftermarket.

Sponsored

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
Your concerns are correct, however idatalink makes adapters to retain OEM functions. On the 5inch that is merely steering volume and nothing else. The 7 and 8.4 are another story, so I'm not sure what can be kept. I'll dig into that and update.

I agree though, if you can swing the 7 or 8.4 head unit, your in the best scenario. Speakers are much less of headache to do alone.

I think due to initial cost many sport s owners stuck with the 5 inch will be looking for upgrades, whether factory or aftermarket.
They have the software to interface?

Bunker_Bear

First Name
Bear
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT

In the past Insane Audio head units have retained factory functionality and added extras like OBD II data, etc. Obviously matching functions from the 5" would be easier + why pay for an OEM upgrade if you plan to replace it with an aftermarket part?

As I understand it, only the 8" unit from Jeep has offline NAV (7" requires Android Auto or Apple Play cell phone link). I know that we live in a connected world but having offline NAV is helpful in some parts of the country (Example West Virginia mountain roads have poor / no cell reception).

Even if the price of the Insane Audio unit is roughly the same as the 7" unit from Jeep, it might make sense to do the 5" --> after-market upgrade if you want those features.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I hadn't heard of the Insane Audio units before. I looked them up and that actually looks like a nice option. What's the JL price going to be? Does it have built in SiriusXM or would the factory antenna need to be plugged into the unit? So this will be PNP and work flawlessly with the steering wheel controls, remote start, heated seats, etc? Hmm... that's very interesting...
Sponsored