First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
And people bitch about the thing honking when you leave with the FOB and the engine is running.
Do that in a closed garage.............

In 2021, or maybe 2022, they started having it HONK at you 3 times if you leave it running and take the FOB with you. But people bitch about that. This is the very reason they honk.
People have garaged their cars, not realized they have left them running due to how quiet they are, and bad things happen.

The CO levels are drastically lower on these because the CATs combine oxygen with the CO to form CO2 - but the side effect of that is still bad because you now have a lack of breathable oxygen.

A car left running for a number of hours in a closed garage will consume two parts oxygen for every part carbon in the gasoline. Eventually oxygen levels will fall to a point where a human will start to asphyxiate should they enter the garage.
I will test tomorrow when I head out to work just what happens when you walk away with the FOB while it’s running. I’m sure she would have locked it, if that makes a difference.

My concern was that there is different stresses on the engine while idling, causing wear I didn’t want. Some reading I’ve done suggests this while other google views say no problem.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I will test tomorrow when I head out to work just what happens when you walk away with the FOB while it’s running. I’m sure she would have locked it, if that makes a difference.

My concern was that there is different stresses on the engine while idling, causing wear I didn’t want. Some reading I’ve done suggests this while other google views say no problem.
LOL - google............ those will all be opinions, even from some of the so-called "automotive blogs".
You'll find stuff all the way from "you've ruined it" to "don't sweat it".

It could be worse. If it was me, I'd take it out on a long hard drive. Idling runs richer even on most modern engines - carbon, the cats wont' be as efficient, etc. - likely no damage done - but........... I'd "blow out the cobs".
If this was a 1990s or earlier vehicle I'd be more concerned.
But as it is, it's mostly going to be build-up, fuel contamination of the oil, that sort of thing. I doubt anything worse than what an oil change earlier than you might normally do it (don't panic and think it's got to be done tonight) and running it to clear things out won't take care of.
Wear - unlikely. Oil still gets to where it belongs, and slower speeds mean less hammering on bearings and valve train parts - but that also means other negatives. But wear - not likely.

If I leave my 2022 running and take the fob with me (which is normal because I wear it clipped to my belt look in a leather holster) it honks 3 times. So if I know I need to leave it running such as to check something under the hood or whatever, I take the fob out of the holster and toss it in the slot between cup holders (and then try to remember that I've done that!)

4xjeepr

First Name
DON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Sport, 06 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 95 Wrangler Rio Grande
Second this..
We used to idle cop cars for hours. Especially on graveyard shift. Other times on a scene where the overhead lights and radios had to be on. We would leave the unit running so as not to kill the battery. I carried a spare key so I could lock it while running.

Never had an issue and some of those old Crown Vics are still going.

4xjeepr

First Name
DON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Sport, 06 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 95 Wrangler Rio Grande
I've left Crown Victoria, Dodge Charger, Chevy Impala, Dodge Ram, Dodge Durango all running for entire 12 hour shifts. During those shifts had chases, wrecks, emergency runs and other assorted reasons to run them hard or sitting completing paperwork. My Durango ran for 20 hours straight once after having to come into work early for a double shooting, then had to work my regular shift. Plus that was a Xmas shift so was running all over all day.. Durango got more rest then I did. Only ever had a problem with the 2013 Charger. Kept blowing high pressure lines and two engines. And always at a stop sign never having run it hard.
Your JT is going to be fine letting it run for only a few hours.

Plywood

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Willys EcoDiesel
Occupation
Pilot
I’ve idled mine for 10 hours a day several days in a row many times. 65k miles and I’ve only had to replace the oad pulley on the alternator. I don’t feel like the extended idling has shortened the life of the engine.

Sponsored

jeepstertim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, Audi SQ5, Audi A3, Smart Roadster Brabus,
Build Thread
Link
I heard about the honk, mines a '21 but no honking. ref the asphyxiation, fortunately mine was in a large communal ventilated lot.

Tommyd

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Grounds manager
While doing technical off Roading a lot of vehicles hardly ever gain any RPMs and are those idling in for low. Not a big deal

PlayfulBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020 Rubicon Gobi
Some reading I’ve done suggests this while other google views say no problem.
LOL - google............ those will all be opinions, even from some of the so-called "automotive blogs".
This is starting to be fun in Germany.
It used to be normal. Wake up, go out to the car, start it and let it idle while you make a coffee and then start getting the snow off of it.
Of course, they made idling your vehicle illegal, ;) Germany. Ranging from e few €€ on public roads (is a small violation in part founded in the traffic law) to €€€€€ if you do it on your private property, they then go after you for pollution :LOL:
So you get fined if a cop is in a bad mood and sees you start your car and get out and de-ice it... thats why remote start etc is all illegal. Now if it was only that, I would be like hey whatever.
But...
Germany used to love (and many still do love) their diesels. Cold diesels going straight onto the Autobahn is a no no, so people would let their engines warm up before going to work etc. taking that on ramp and needing to merge into some nice fast traffic. Many love their cars more and rather pay a fine.
So what happened is they started a campaign where the car experts, ADAC (AAA equivalent with added testing facilities, insurance and some legal advice for members etc), and car magazines, as well as governmental notices are now telling everyone they are breaking their engines by idling them😈:rock:🤫 Gotta love it.

In3briatedPanda

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Freedom Edition Max Tow
Occupation
Automotive
we had a guest put her car cover on her 2013 LS460 and left it running ALL NIGHT. Older guest and didnt realize it was still running.

Melted the car cover to the grill and bumper and melted the motor obviously. Yikes.

and yes, we fixed it and insurance paid for it.

EDIT: the engine did not melt in a literal/physical sense, it was seized due to high temps. Wire connectors, plastic portions, and heads were all warped/deformed and the engine was seized, would not spin by hand at the crank when it arrived.

Last edited:

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
In 2021, or maybe 2022, they started having it HONK at you 3 times if you leave it running and take the FOB with you.
Tazer allows you to disable that.

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I can't find it but there is someone on here who has left theirs running for 24hrs a lot of times because they work on some sort of pipeline. Last I heard he hasn't had any issues out of his and over 100,000 miles on it. He even reported how much fuel is consumed in the times he's had it at idle.

aprez27

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S. Max Tow.
Vehicle Showcase
Push button start and a quiet engine is to blame. 8hrs here at work one day. No problems that I know of.

AHenry014

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Yea, i wouldnt worry about that at all. A lot of engines are treated far poorer and still work fine. If you are worried about it, change the oil and call it a day.