First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
Lol. A Mojave. Kidding. Hope it all worked out ok.

3VOLVE

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2019 JLUR
So they had a winch and traction boards and still couldn't manage to get out? Doesn't even look like they tried either of those.
just because folks have it doesnā€™t mean they know how to use it. YouTube is great as showing folks how to use their equipment but I doubt some donā€™t put it into practice until they need to.

this scenario could have gone in a totally different direction and i am happy that they made it out safely.

Sponsored

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
So they had a winch and traction boards and still couldn't manage to get out? Doesn't even look like they tried either of those.
The winch cable was pulled out so they must have tried. You can see a guy coiling it up by hand since there was no power to reel it back in.

bakobobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator California
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Doer of things
He should have deployed his traction boards lol. But really there is no device that makes up for lack of common sense. Water crossing especially are dangerous this guy could have had it a lot worse than several thousands in recovery costs šŸ¤‘

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Dunno what tires these are... Ridge Grapplers? But they were way over their head in a pond of clay. Not sure if real muds would have changed it though.

Jeep Gladiator Does this truck belong to anyone on here? šŸ˜¬ 1643471398341

OP
OP
Dryfly24

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
Maybe I misunderstood but I was under the impression that they were camping and got caught in a flash flood. If it was indeed a water crossing then that goes reinforces my aversion to any that involves anything deeper than a few inches.

I wonder what happens with insurance in a situation like this? I canā€™t imagine any company covering it. Maybe the flash flood scenario could be?

FloridaJT6MT

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Willys
Maybe I misunderstood but I was under the impression that they were camping and got caught in a flash flood. If it was indeed a water crossing then that goes reinforces my aversion to any that involves anything deeper than a few inches.

I wonder what happens with insurance in a situation like this? I canā€™t imagine any company covering it. Maybe the flash flood scenario could be?
That was my understanding as well.

Sponsored

CMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Toyota Highlander, HD FLHRC and FLSTSCI
Occupation
Professional Aviator
ā€¦ā€¦several thousands in recovery costs šŸ¤‘
Or several thousands in insurance deductible.ā€¦because thatā€™s a total loss.

Was this really a water crossing or bad camp site selection, followed by a flash flood and quick attempt to get out?

This is definitely a learning experience for anyone who back-country camps or wheels in canyon country. If it starts to rain, might wanna look for high ground immediately. The difference between this guy and any one of us is only the unfortunate outcome for him. How many people in here have gone down that ā€œhold my beerā€ path and got lucky on the outcome? Iā€™d venture to bet better than half of usā€¦

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
So how do you unlock the steering wheel with zero power? Parking brake has that nifty bypass, but Iā€™ve never seen how to unlock the steering wheel.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
I doubt it was several thousand unless this guy is part of the Mattā€™s Off-road recovery insurance scam ring

FitfulGoat

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Operations Leadership
There is a reason you donā€™t camp on a canyon floor with any chance of rain.

This is common sense especially in the desert where a flash flood is not that uncommon and extremely dangerous.

same conceptsā€¦ donā€™t camp under a dead tree, donā€™t camp in a high spot on a hill in a thunderstorm, donā€™t set up camp at the bottom of visible rock slide areas (Iā€™ve had a buddy wake up in the middle of the night to a loud bang and a lovely Boulder smashed into their passenger door)

think long and hard before you setup camp on a sketchy site!
Sponsored