Sponsored

8 speed transmission law suit............

skindata

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Assembly Technician
My personal experience, and not a 8 speed but a 6, I bought a 2017 Silverado Z71 new back in 2016 and the transmission has already been replaced once under warranty, around 58k I believe. It would get stuck in gears and wouldn’t shift into a lower gear, running 4500rpm going 75mph on the highway. I have almost 90,000 on it now, and it’s getting traded in for a new Gladiator soon. I can’t wait to get rid of it to be honest, it still doesn’t shift right. It gets hung up in 3rd or 4th when I’m half throttle, then randomly drop to second while not changing the pressure on the pedal at all.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
My wife had a early 2018 Colorado with the 8 speed. Had the occasional shudder once in a blue moon when cold. Never had time to take it in for warranty and kicked the can down the road when we traded it in 14 months later on a Honda.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
I work for a single product line dealership, a Lexus dealership.

We have replaced 5-6 GM transmissions in the last six months. NO BS. IDK if it was this specific model, but man its too many for Lexus dealer.

Lowest mileage was 40kish miles.

If you're asking 'why would a Lexus dealer do that work?' Some of it is guests purchase here and want work done here (most own Lexus vehicles too) and our local GM store is backed up 3 weeks (supposedly)

I know we own Jeeps and they have their issues, but these GM trans are garbage.
The local GMC dealership my friends patronize can't even get them in for an oil change while guaranteeing the vehicle back in the same day. They also have 4 kids and the last loaner they got was a Canyon...

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
Wait what? They had the complaint documented while under warranty and they denied a warranty claim after the warranty company passed? I’d raise hell till it was covered.

it’s a shame that it took GM so long to figure out the fluid. It left a lot of people frustrated. I took mine in and they flushed it twice in vain. Before they had the right fluid, mine would screw up once the fluid moisture content got too high and start jerking and shaking in stop and go traffic. I thought about getting out and lighting it on fire in the middle of I-40 and leaving it there to burn to the ground a few times.

Glad I didn’t. Haha. It was a great truck again after the third/correct fluid.

Btw, we are lucky to have these ZF designed transmissions after they’ve been sorted. A good friend of mine is shop foreman at an Audi dealership. He told me that when they first started using them, years ago, that the ZF transmissions had the same issues and they’d get a TSB to try a new fluid, then another fluid, and then several fluids later they got it right.
Yeah, they were trying to say it was out of warranty. They were in the process of fighting them on it a few months ago before he moved to Arkansas. I haven’t really asked him what ended up happening, this just reminded me. I love the 8 speed in these vehicles!
Sponsored