Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
They have made it confusing by using Auto Start/Stop on the display screen and then calling it Electronic Start/Stop after realizing it would be more appropriate to use ESS than ASS when referring to the system.
Really odd when you consider all of the articles I read back about 4 or 5 years ago about the 3.6 development called it ESS even then. So it's been known as ESS for at least 5 years - why change that on the cluster?
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Really odd when you consider all of the articles I read back about 4 or 5 years ago about the 3.6 development called it ESS even then. So it's been known as ESS for at least 5 years - why change that on the cluster?
Probably due to the amount of display space available. Auto fits better then Electronic. Trying to abbreviate it would result in similar confusion issues.

EDIT:
Okay, I went back and looked at the picture. It just says Start/Stop. I knew what it was because I've seen the message on the display. It is real easy to confuse that with Remote Start, if you had not seen it before.

From what I remember reading, they have called it Electronic Start/Stop for a long time, but started out with Automatic Start/Stop, because that makes more sense, and then realized the abbreviation would not be workable.

skubyact

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Actor
AC stops when stopped because engine isn't on. When it's hot out, I just turn the auto stop/start off.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
AC stops when stopped because engine isn't on. When it's hot out, I just turn the auto stop/start off.
Only the compressor stops turning - you can still get heat removed via the evaporator for a while, but once the cabin temp cannot be maintained, the engine starts again. The fan keeps going, at least in auto mode.
That's how our Jeeps have always worked. If you have the temp set to 68 and the cabin is 68 and you pull up to a stop and the engine shuts down, it will try to maintain that 68. When it cannot, it restarts the engine.
I've had mine restart more than once while sitting - with AC on. My wife's Grand Cherokees have worked that way for years. If it can't maintain heat or cool, whatever you have it set to, if it varies over so much, the engine starts again.

skubyact

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Actor
Only the compressor stops turning - you can still get heat removed via the evaporator for a while, but once the cabin temp cannot be maintained, the engine starts again. The fan keeps going, at least in auto mode.
That's how our Jeeps have always worked. If you have the temp set to 68 and the cabin is 68 and you pull up to a stop and the engine shuts down, it will try to maintain that 68. When it cannot, it restarts the engine.
I've had mine restart more than once while sitting - with AC on. My wife's Grand Cherokees have worked that way for years. If it can't maintain heat or cool, whatever you have it set to, if it varies over so much, the engine starts again.
I just turn that function off on hot days. It saves me thinking too much.
Sponsored