A/C issues with Auto Start/Stop??

TopOff

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I feel like ever since I picked up my gladiator in April I’ve had often on air-conditioning issues. Just tepid air coming out of the vents at times. Recently I noticed it tends to happen when I’m stopped at a light and the jeep automatically goes into auto stop.

Now I noticed that sometimes the auto start and stop doesn’t work and the message I get in the steering Cluster says it’s because of the air conditioning.

Anyone else get this? Is there a problem with my car? Thanks

00CFE3FF-0CF3-4F12-ADBE-2DB2CECC9F95.jpeg
Sponsored

anavrinIV

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed3, 1956 F100
Occupation
Engineer
It makes sense that the a/c stops working when the engine stops - without the compressor turning the refrigerant becomes stagnant so whatever is in the evaporator reaches outside temps quickly and cooling stops. If I'm driving on a hot day and want the a/c to keep running I either clutch in (I have a manual) to keep the engine going or turn ASS off. If I have a/c on high it will detect the air temps rising and fire up in 10-15 seconds anyway so not doing any good.

If seems you may have a problem though if the remote start won't work because of the a/c. The whole purpose of having remote start is to create a livable cabin before getting it - why else would it even be an option?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I feel like ever since I picked up my gladiator in April I’ve had often on air-conditioning issues. Just tepid air coming out of the vents at times. Recently I noticed it tends to happen when I’m stopped at a light and the jeep automatically goes into auto stop.

Now I noticed that sometimes the auto start and stop doesn’t work and the message I get in the steering Cluster says it’s because of the air conditioning.

Anyone else get this? Is there a problem with my car? Thanks

00CFE3FF-0CF3-4F12-ADBE-2DB2CECC9F95.jpeg
This is normal operation. I push the button to disable ESS at every start. It gets hot here and AC is needed most of the time.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It makes sense that the a/c stops working when the engine stops - without the compressor turning the refrigerant becomes stagnant so whatever is in the evaporator reaches outside temps quickly and cooling stops. If I'm driving on a hot day and want the a/c to keep running I either clutch in (I have a manual) to keep the engine going or turn ASS off. If I have a/c on high it will detect the air temps rising and fire up in 10-15 seconds anyway so not doing any good.

If seems you may have a problem though if the remote start won't work because of the a/c. The whole purpose of having remote start is to create a livable cabin before getting it - why else would it even be an option?
The Auto Start/Stop (ESS) is a separate system from the Remote Start option. The ESS is supposed to save fuel by turning off the engine at stoplights. The Remote Start wastes fuel by letting the truck run to make the cabin comfortable before driving.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
That's weird - ESS works fine with AC on and AC works when ESS is enables. Granted, after a while the AC isn't keeping up and the engine restarts, but I have NEVER seen that message.
And this year, Iowa has been pretty nasty heat-wise - and a big drought.
I see 81 on that cluster and that's 15 degrees cooler than it's been here until 2 days ago. Our high was 97 this past weekend and the humidity matched. ESS worked, AC worked.
If it doesn't shut off because of the AC being needed I never see a message, it simply doesn't shut down!
Again, I have NEVER seen that message. But then I don't press the ESS button - I like it working and I control it via the brake pedal - if I don't want it off, I don't slam on the brake. If I want the engine to stop at a long light, I press the brake pedal harder until it shuts down.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That's weird - ESS works fine with AC on and AC works when ESS is enables. Granted, after a while the AC isn't keeping up and the engine restarts, but I have NEVER seen that message.
And this year, Iowa has been pretty nasty heat-wise - and a big drought.
I see 81 on that cluster and that's 15 degrees cooler than it's been here until 2 days ago. Our high was 97 this past weekend and the humidity matched. ESS worked, AC worked.
If it doesn't shut off because of the AC being needed I never see a message, it simply doesn't shut down!
Again, I have NEVER seen that message. But then I don't press the ESS button - I like it working and I control it via the brake pedal - if I don't want it off, I don't slam on the brake. If I want the engine to stop at a long light, I press the brake pedal harder until it shuts down.
You will only see the message if the Start/Stop section is selected on the small display screen.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You will only see the message if the Start/Stop section is selected on the small display screen.
Makes sense - not sure why I'd ever have that displayed, or even the ACC screen I noticed. I thought - why? I'd rather see other stuff than something saying "not a winner, please play again".

oldhp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Galdiator 80th Anniversary
Occupation
Retired
ESS is dumbest thing I've seen on a JEEP in my opinion. I know, I know it's a CAFE thing. I turn it off every time, it's automatic with me. I never have a problem with the AC either. Can you bypass the little battery???

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Makes sense - not sure why I'd ever have that displayed, or even the ACC screen I noticed. I thought - why? I'd rather see other stuff than something saying "not a winner, please play again".
I've seen that and similar messages. Some of the stoplights here are long, and I'll cycle through the screens while waiting just to see what is showing.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I've seen that and similar messages. Some of the stoplights here are long, and I'll cycle through the screens while waiting just to see what is showing.
HAHAHA - sounds like me - bored after waiting 10 seconds so I flip through the screens for fun.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
ESS is dumbest thing I've seen on a JEEP in my opinion. I know, I know it's a CAFE thing. I turn it off every time, it's automatic with me. I never have a problem with the AC either. Can you bypass the little battery???
You can install a Genesis Dual Battery kit, which includes removing the ESS battery. You can rewire it so the ESS terminal connects to the main battery, but that will lead to issues if the ESS activates. The ESS system cannot be removed or permanently disabled, it is always on. Various mods and hacks are available to keep it from activating and turning off the engine when the vehicle is stopped.

anavrinIV

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed3, 1956 F100
Occupation
Engineer
The Auto Start/Stop (ESS) is a separate system from the Remote Start option. The ESS is supposed to save fuel by turning off the engine at stoplights. The Remote Start wastes fuel by letting the truck run to make the cabin comfortable before driving.
I understand how and why it works I was just explaining why t h e ac would stop blowing cold after a while and that's expected operation. It does not explain the inability to remotely start though

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I understand how and why it works I was just explaining why t h e ac would stop blowing cold after a while and that's expected operation. It does not explain the inability to remotely start though
He's not complaining about an inability to remote start.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yep.....somehow I made that up when I read it the first time

Carry on....
They have made it confusing by using Auto Start/Stop on the display screen and then calling it Electronic Start/Stop after realizing it would be more appropriate to use ESS than ASS when referring to the system.
Sponsored