First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gadiator Sport / Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited
Occupation
Teacher
Yes, there are other issues with the electronics that I didn't mention but what you said kind of made me think that it can be linked. A few things are that the driver side door when open doesn't display the little icon of the door ajar and the light will not go on. (sometimes not all the time) This is probably not relate but passenger heated mirror doesn't heat up. To your point I thought it might be a bent pin. I also took it to the dealer awhile ago because of other issues such as when I hit the heated mirror button it would turn off something else I had on. I think the tazer is on my list of things to purchase. Thanks
I had a short in the wiring harness in my door. The door would lock and unlock with the remote but the switch on the door was dead, along with the power mirrors and the lights. The Jeep thought the door was not connected and acted as if the door was off. Because the Jeep thought the door was off it disabled my Remote Start. It also caused messages to appear on the dash. It sounds like your electrical system has a short somewhere and it's sending mixed messages to your Jeep's computer.
Sponsored

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Speaking of ABS - our weather is up and down, down and up. We had a snow last week, pretty much mostly melted away but tons of melting and refreeze have left icy spots in parking lots. Some of those spots fairly large. We went to Target this AM and I pulled toward an area away from other vehicles and the front half of that parking spot was ice - slick ice, the rest behind it clear. I came to the spot fairly quickly - no other traffic and no other cars. I hit the brakes to stop in that spot, not realizing at the time it was pure ice in the front half of the spot. The front wheels locked up and slid 3 or 4 feet while the rears kept turning. ABS never once kicked in.
I've had that happen multiple times - I can slide wheels with the brakes and never feel ABS trigger at all. If I had done with with my wife's Jeep or my Chevy when I had it, it would have sounded like the thing was falling apart and the brake pedal would have chattered. This, nothing - I'm free to either lock or spin the front or rear wheels.
Once in a while I drive it as if purposely trying to trigger ABS - nothing.
There are no codes, no lights, no alerts, it's just like a non-ABS vehicle much of the time.
You said your traction control doesn’t work either so it really sounds like you have an issue with your ABS system.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
ROFLMAO (anyone even remember what that means??)
HAHA - I laughed so hard when I read that.
POST (we'll see if anyone knows what THAT peans)

Sponsored

BUZZHEAD

First Name
BOB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JEEP RUBICAN GLADIATOR ,2016 HD SLIMS
Occupation
WEED PULLER
I had a short in the wiring harness in my door. The door would lock and unlock with the remote but the switch on the door was dead, along with the power mirrors and the lights. The Jeep thought the door was not connected and acted as if the door was off. Because the Jeep thought the door was off it disabled my Remote Start. It also caused messages to appear on the dash. It sounds like your electrical system has a short somewhere and it's sending mixed messages to your Jeep's computer.
That's the next reason I get to go back to the dealer.Door lock switch dead on door but mirrors still working.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Power On Self Test

Which is kinda what was happening there
Yes.
That's exactly what I was aiming at. The electronics do a self-test of the light circuit, gauges and so on.
But you know some people don't pay attention or even know what that's all about.
i've had several people over the years complain about something going wrong on a car from 40+ years ago and I asked them - did the light come on? No. Do you even pay attention to the dash when you turn the key to 'on' before starting it to see if all the lights come on?
No, should I?

berb

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gadiator Sport / Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited
Occupation
Teacher
That's the next reason I get to go back to the dealer.Door lock switch dead on door but mirrors still working.
Be careful. Check your pins before you go and make sure they are not bent in any way. There are a lot of people on this forum that the dealership refused to cover the wiring harness because they had bent pins.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
And some who said the dealer took care of it.

I'd not say there are a "lot" of people who said the dealer didn't take care of it - frankly, not "a lot" even had the problem. I bet I could count on one hand.....

I have not had the issues crop up but I'm pretty certain my local dealer would take care of it. They know we own two Jeeps and appear to want us as customers.

OP
OP
GraniteJT

GraniteJT

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Max Tow
Interesting. I've had a few electrical issues even before all this. It does seem that a few pins are bent on the driver side door harness when I checked. This weekend I will try to bend them back and plug it back in straight. One issue is the door ajar light doesn't come on and the interior light doesn't aluminate. It was sporadic but now when I unplugged it a few days ago it hasn't worked at all. Also the passenger heated mirror doesn't heat anymore. Auto stop start light is always on and says I need service. Maybe I have a short thats causing the dangerous act of throwing it in park. Its almost every-time I start the jeep and throw it fast in reverse It locks up and goes into park. I'm pressing the gas but I'm revving it in park. Sometimes I'm going forward at a slow roll about 2mph and it throws it in Park halting the jeep. It used to be at a red light and I would stop and i will let my foot off the brake and it would not start. I have to put it in park and it starts agin or I press the button. I will look into the short in the wiring harness sounds like a good thing to investigate.

Sponsored

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Interesting. I've had a few electrical issues even before all this. It does seem that a few pins are bent on the driver side door harness when I checked. This weekend I will try to bend them back and plug it back in straight. One issue is the door ajar light doesn't come on and the interior light doesn't aluminate. It was sporadic but now when I unplugged it a few days ago it hasn't worked at all. Also the passenger heated mirror doesn't heat anymore. Auto stop start light is always on and says I need service. Maybe I have a short thats causing the dangerous act of throwing it in park. Its almost every-time I start the jeep and throw it fast in reverse It locks up and goes into park. I'm pressing the gas but I'm revving it in park. Sometimes I'm going forward at a slow roll about 2mph and it throws it in Park halting the jeep. It used to be at a red light and I would stop and i will let my foot off the brake and it would not start. I have to put it in park and it starts agin or I press the button. I will look into the short in the wiring harness sounds like a good thing to investigate.
I am going to guess your bent pins are 100% the cause of all of your gremlins.

OP
OP
GraniteJT

GraniteJT

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Max Tow
I have a good hunch that it's the pins too. These are so tricky not to bend and makes me not want to take off the doors at all. Luckily I found this thread because I know on the first 80 degree day those suckers are off!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe I have a short thats causing the dangerous act of throwing it in park.
Most likely an open in the circuit unless there's a pin bent over so far as to touch another pin.
If the latter is the case, it could cause some serious issues if a pin that is hot when you move or press a button sending power out to the door is touching something that should never see 12 volts.
Any such issues should be investigated and fixed ASAP or you risk really causing bigger issues than you have now.
Sponsored