First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S; 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Occupation
Retired
I typically hit the ASS button every time I start my truck, but yesterday I left it active and noticed that the engine did not shut down at stop lights. I know that it will remain running if the AC is running and the cab temperature is too high; does it also keep running if it's cold outside? There's no error lights on the dash so I don't know if it's working properly, or if I should have it in to the dealer...
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I typically hit the ASS button every time I start my truck, but yesterday I left it active and noticed that the engine did not shut down at stop lights. I know that it will remain running if the AC is running and the cab temperature is too high; does it also keep running if it's cold outside? There's no error lights on the dash so I don't know if it's working properly, or if I should have it in to the dealer...
Use the arrow keys to scroll to the ESS screen, it will show the current status. There are multiple conditions that will keep it from activating.

DLAW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Nissan Pathfinder, '08 Honda Civic, '12 Honda CR-V, '16 Honda Odyssey, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Predicting the future
Page 179 in the manual. Many reasons for it to decide on not activating and it's normal.

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
Mine was a "battery still charging". The thing seems to ALWAYS be out of juice...

Sponsored

scotticus

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT LE
Occupation
Derpston
Mine has completely stopped working, always says it’s charging but never actually activates anymore.

JimWillis319

Banned
Banned
First Name
corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Graphic Designer
Just get a tazer.

Gladiators should COME with a tazer. It does many things and one of my favorites is keeping the 'ESS' button on whatever you left it on before you shut the jeep off (meaning... you turn it off once, it's off forever... until you want it on which... why would you ever, ever want that on?)

Ghostwave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 cj8
your battery is probably failing. Very common.

Those thinking they don’t care about start/stop kind of missed the point. The failing batttery will eventually cause you problems whether You think you care about the start/stop or not.

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
ESS warning lamp came on in my JT today. Several cycles of the engine and it's still on. Plugged in my OBD reader and battery voltage with the engine off was 12.2

Does ESS use the main battery or the secondary one? Obviously I'll be taking it into the dealer, but I'm just trying to understand the issue some more. I'll have to read through all the other ESS threads I guess...

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
ESS warning lamp came on in my JT today. Several cycles of the engine and it's still on. Plugged in my OBD reader and battery voltage with the engine off was 12.2

Does ESS use the main battery or the secondary one? Obviously I'll be taking it into the dealer, but I'm just trying to understand the issue some more. I'll have to read through all the other ESS threads I guess...
ESS warning is many times from a failing secondary battery. Have the dealer test both batteries. When the ESS battery goes out, the constant discharge state can ruin the main battery. It can be something else, but a common theme among the threads is an issue with the secondary battery.

Sponsored

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Developer
ESS warning is many times from a failing secondary battery. Have the dealer test both batteries. When the ESS battery goes out, the constant discharge state can ruin the main battery. It can be something else, but a common theme among the threads is an issue with the secondary battery.
thx Bill, I will direct them to do so

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Developer
Issue update- mine was indeed the failure of the secondary battery. It was replaced under warranty and they also charged the primary battery.

Some indirect consequences of my voltage issue was noticing UConnect reboot from time to time, so hopefully this is resolved as well.

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Developer
@saintpauljeff

In regard to intermittent UConnect reboots, another cause is a loose.... not pressed down all the way, F97 fuse in the power distribution center (PDC) Go to the black PDC box near your Main battery, take the cover off and press firmly down on any and all there.
thanks, I will try that next time I notice UConnect having an unintended reboot

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Developer
@saintpauljeff

UConnect in general has lots of hiccups.... occasional reboots, etc...

As for the fuse thing, you really should push down all fuses down, right away.... if you have never done so..

MOST owner's find many fuses loose when they check... some owner's have had issues worse then UConnect reboots, thanks to loose fuses, relays there.
all fuses were fine, nothing loose, so I'm all good in that dept
Sponsored