Sponsored

About to make a deal and last minute the dealer tells me the vehicle has over 4000 miles...

teton29

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado
Occupation
Law Enforcement
I am a newbie here, and I am bout to buy my first Jeep. Always have had pickups and this time I decided I was going with a Gladiator. Also decided I would lease for 39 or 42 month term. 12k per year, up to $1500 down, no more. I had a couple quotes, most for roughly $375/mo with $1500 down and 12k a year for a sport S that had an MSRP for about $46,500. I found the Jeep I wanted with the options I wanted about 60 miles away. I was about to make a deal over the phone when all of a sudden the salesman advises me that the car has over 4000 miles on it. I was caught off guard, and then he says that the "bank still looks at the car as new if it's under 5000 miles." I politely said, that I'm not the bank and that is a lot of miles for a "new" car. Am I crazy here?

I would still consider getting the car, but not when I was quoted the same price for one that has 20 miles on it. I'd be interested in some opinions here from long time Jeep owners of those who have just bought or leased. Also is $375/mo and $1500 down for Sport S with an MSRP of $46,500 a good point to be at compared to what others have been seeing in the NJ/NY area.

Thanks for all the guidance in advance.
Sponsored

bangolia

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
I am a newbie here, and I am bout to buy my first Jeep. Always have had pickups and this time I decided I was going with a Gladiator. Also decided I would lease for 39 or 42 month term. 12k per year, up to $1500 down, no more. I had a couple quotes, most for roughly $375/mo with $1500 down and 12k a year for a sport S that had an MSRP for about $46,500. I found the Jeep I wanted with the options I wanted about 60 miles away. I was about to make a deal over the phone when all of a sudden the salesman advises me that the car has over 4000 miles on it. I was caught off guard, and then he says that the "bank still looks at the car as new if it's under 5000 miles." I politely said, that I'm not the bank and that is a lot of miles for a "new" car. Am I crazy here?

I would still consider getting the car, but not when I was quoted the same price for one that has 20 miles on it. I'd be interested in some opinions here from long time Jeep owners of those who have just bought or leased. Also is $375/mo and $1500 down for Sport S with an MSRP of $46,500 a good point to be at compared to what others have been seeing in the NJ/NY area.

Thanks for all the guidance in advance.
Sounds like the owner or a sales manager liked the JT and drove it a lot while it was for sale. If it hasn’t been sold before it’s “new” but not really. I would walk away or get a bigger discount.

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
Find out if it was pre-owned or if these were demo miles. If pre-owned, you should consider it used and go from there (negotiate).

Even if it wasn't pre-owned, 4k miles on a "new" vehicle isn't nothing. Simply use it as leverage for a slightly better deal. The jeep doesn't care if the miles were from a dealer or a previous owner. It still has the same amount of road time. That could be 4 months of driving, or even longer if it was a demo as opposed to a daily driver.

Regardless, all of the above works in your favor, plus the fact that the dealer didn't disclose up front. Use all of that to negotiate the price down.

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
If you drive your miles allotted, your going to be in the 50k mile range towards the end of your lease. That may get you into the window when tires/brakes need replaced depending on how you drive.

If I were leasing, I would not want to have to worry about replacing those types of items during a lease period.

Sponsored

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
For that amount of mileage and driving, I’d want some sort of bumper to bumper warranty for 50-60k included. Would really suck to be leasing a Jeep and paying for repairs

Blknblu

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Viper, 1968 Coronet R/T, 2011 Mopar 11. 2020 Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
It is really not a big deal, but if I went to trade in my vehicle with those miles to a dealer it would be 10K off right off the bat. You have some leverage if you really want it.

Bruce

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
My opinion - don't spend this amount of money on ANYTHING that you aren't 100% comfortable with, even if people try to tell you it doesn't really matter.

If the 4k miles bothers you, don't do it. If it doesn't bother you, or you use this to negotiate a lower price that makes you feel good about it, then do it.

It's rarely worth compromising when you're dealing with this level of product and doing so almost always costs you more in the long run.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
With others in the same price range lower mileage is a comp you can get in your favor by getting a same same deal and going with the lower miles one; you mentioned options - is it a hell of a lot of more options that make the miles less important?

Sponsored

Ozarkgolfer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland/BMW X2
Occupation
International Logistics
Looks like you have walked into a deal that I ended up making and I published elsewhere in the meet & greet thread. I walked into my local dealer who did not advertise good deals on Gladiators - he had a Rubicon, a couple of Sport S models plus a "used" Overland with 3700 miles on the clock with abut $3k of dealer add-ons that were not on the monroney. I showed the sales guy what new pricing really meant elsewhere - about 75 miles away $6000 off MSRP for Sport S and $8000 off Overlands...then told him that of I was buying a used Overland it would be at a used price. And it doesn't matter if you are buying or leasing - first negotiate the bottom line for the truck. Anyway, in my case, I got a truck with an MSRP of $52,895 - closer to $56k with add ons for a tick under $40k. Google Haik in Houston and check their pricing - this is your guide. And I traded in a Mazda CX-5 and got KBB. Deals are out there and be prepared to walk.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
If the dealer hid that from you until the last minute, after he had you on the hook, then can you really trust them or anything else they've said or didn't say?

Get a more substantial discount or find another dealer I say.

Ray F.

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubi
I wouldn’t be afraid of 4k, but given the fact it’s pretty high for a new vehicle and COVID has sales down, that dealer would have to make some serious discounts or add-ons.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Whoever used it may have driven it like he stole it, definitely had no investment in it or its condition.