First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Eco Diesel
Occupation
Retired
Any tricks from a nut and bolt perspective with removal of the ac condenser coil? There is no pressure due to the obvious hole, figure I'd tackle the nuts and bolts and let a tech do the evac and charge....
Sponsored

OP
OP
JT LIFE

JT LIFE

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Eco Diesel
Occupation
Retired
So finished the remove/replace for the ac condenser coil....no big suprises, just nuts and bolts,spent 2 hours doing the disassemble then an hour doing the install.....
Now to source the pros for a evac and recharge.......

Bradt530

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
I am considering replacement of mine due to leak caused by a light bar rubbing a hole. dealer wants 1800.00. Any thing I might need to know. Im handy with tools and I have done Home AC repair so I'm going to do the whole job.

OP
OP
JT LIFE

JT LIFE

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Eco Diesel
Occupation
Retired
Pretty straight forward, grill off, pull every bolt you see that holds the cross supports, had to remove the air box on the diesel, and the headlight bucket drivers side. All nuts and bolts... you'll need new hose adapters for the r1234 freon , available at Amazon.

OP
OP
JT LIFE

JT LIFE

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Eco Diesel
Occupation
Retired
Quadratec had the coil in stock for under $200

Sponsored

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
read up on r1234yf recharges, it's a very fussy and a particular refrigerant that has special pag oil application. Just repeating want I have hear my mechanic buddy talk about.

OP
OP
JT LIFE

JT LIFE

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Eco Diesel
Occupation
Retired
No issues with the freon at all, in fact I did the vacuum pump for a few hours, added the freon cans, everything settled in and done. I'm no ac expert but my dad had an ac business for 20 years..... Some rubbed off I guess....

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
glad it worked, just know the process for 134a is much different then 1234yf, and 1234yf doesn't carry the pag oil as good as 134a hence some special protocols to get the pag oil where it needs to be.

Bradt530

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
I found a coil for 60.00. I had mounted some lights behind the grill and the mounting bolts rubbed a hole. I did it after work and it took me about me about 6 hours . getting the old one out took the most time. After installing all the bolts I had to remove . I didn't have any left over . I should of taken a picture but all worked out. I had a hard time trying to find the o ring/gaskets where the high and low side bolt to the condenser coil. (didn't find any so I had to reuse the old one) I had the vacuum and saw it going positive pressure. I had to tighten up the huts where it ties to the condenser coil. Now I have to roll down the windows to warm up not cool off. All in all it wasn't to bad of a job. Saved me about 2,000. That's what the dealer quoted me.

I didn't add oil separately whatever was in the 1234y cans is what it got. Should I consider adding oil. I don't want to saturate the refringent with oil and cut back on the efficiently. But I don't want to be replacing the compressor either.

OP
OP
JT LIFE

JT LIFE

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Eco Diesel
Occupation
Retired
I didn't add anything except what came out of the freon can...... Fwiw.

Sponsored