Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Wouldn't that have the same net result? If you shorten the following distance, it is going to have to brake more often and/or more strongly.
That would all depend on the traffic, how fast it is moving, and the speed you're trying to maintain. When I refer to aggressive for the ACC, I'm talking about how hard it hits the gas to return to the speed set. If the difference is more than a few mph, it usually slams the throttle down. The braking is usually never an issue for me, since I keep it set to maintain maximum distance.

Advertisement

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
When I refer to aggressive for the ACC, I'm talking about how hard it hits the gas to return to the speed set. If the difference is more than a few mph, it usually slams the throttle down.
I have not experienced that. I have 6-speed, maybe that makes a difference.

Then again, I have never tried it in really aggressive traffic.

Utahcamera

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3 4M
Occupation
CEO
My major complaint with ACC is that it doesn't understand how to do anything subtly.

Car gets in front of you? OMG BRAKES BRAKES BRAKES WE'RE GONNA HIT THAT CAR AND DIE IN A FIRE BALL
Care gets out from in front of you? OMG I'M FREEEEEEEE! GAS GAS GAS GO GO GO GO GO NOW NOW NOW!!!!!!

I routinely find myself overriding the ACC just because here in the north east, we don't have a concept of safe following distances and people will just cut in front of you if you leave the smallest gap.
The secret is to turn off ACC until you can turn it back on. Then no breaks etc: however, I do understand the issue in the NE. I'd never purchase any vehicle that did not have it.

Advertisement

Advertisement