Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Wouldn't that have the same net result? If you shorten the following distance, it is going to have to brake more often and/or more strongly.
That would all depend on the traffic, how fast it is moving, and the speed you're trying to maintain. When I refer to aggressive for the ACC, I'm talking about how hard it hits the gas to return to the speed set. If the difference is more than a few mph, it usually slams the throttle down. The braking is usually never an issue for me, since I keep it set to maintain maximum distance.
Sponsored

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
When I refer to aggressive for the ACC, I'm talking about how hard it hits the gas to return to the speed set. If the difference is more than a few mph, it usually slams the throttle down.
I have not experienced that. I have 6-speed, maybe that makes a difference.

Then again, I have never tried it in really aggressive traffic.

Utahcamera

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3 4M
Occupation
CEO
My major complaint with ACC is that it doesn't understand how to do anything subtly.

Car gets in front of you? OMG BRAKES BRAKES BRAKES WE'RE GONNA HIT THAT CAR AND DIE IN A FIRE BALL
Care gets out from in front of you? OMG I'M FREEEEEEEE! GAS GAS GAS GO GO GO GO GO NOW NOW NOW!!!!!!

I routinely find myself overriding the ACC just because here in the north east, we don't have a concept of safe following distances and people will just cut in front of you if you leave the smallest gap.
The secret is to turn off ACC until you can turn it back on. Then no breaks etc: however, I do understand the issue in the NE. I'd never purchase any vehicle that did not have it.

Sponsored

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland High Altitude Diesel
Occupation
Retired
I personally did not like the system on a VW Toureg diesel I owned.
It was far to reactive (aggressive) . However, the way people drive had a lot to do with that, so it is not entirely the system, but the way it must necessarily react to di*khead drivers.

As the highways are littered with dk drivers, the system in useless to me and just creates a high level of annoyance. I happen to normally enjoy driving so this is no bueno for me.
If you don’t happen to agree with my experienced opinion, and just wish to criticize, keep it to yourself. All other comments welcome.

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland High Altitude Diesel
Occupation
Retired

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
My major complaint with ACC is that it doesn't understand how to do anything subtly.

Car gets in front of you? OMG BRAKES BRAKES BRAKES WE'RE GONNA HIT THAT CAR AND DIE IN A FIRE BALL
Care gets out from in front of you? OMG I'M FREEEEEEEE! GAS GAS GAS GO GO GO GO GO NOW NOW NOW!!!!!!

I routinely find myself overriding the ACC just because here in the north east, we don't have a concept of safe following distances and people will just cut in front of you if you leave the smallest gap.
My ACC works exactly the way I want ... my right foot to work... 😁

sdk131

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow - Sarge Green

I have to agree....it seems to be an "all or nothing" response. We have a similar system in my wifes Subaru and it is VERY smooth. The other day when riding in the JT with me it was abrupt enough (the acceleration after a car got out of my way in front of me) that she even commented (she thought it was me just flooring it).
Sponsored