Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I doubt insurance companies would pay for it with a windshield replacement claim if it wasn't required by the manufacturer.
Almost everyone here responded that the ACC was not re-aligned. And the OP didn't mention insurance, nor did others mention that insurance covered the re-alignment.

So obviously it's not a requirement.

There is no reason for it to be required.
On the JT, or for that matter, any of the Jeeps with the movable windshield, all of the ACC sensor system is attached to the "roll cage" which is quite stationary.
You could throw a brick through the windshield and as long as you didn't hit that box up there, it won't be touched or thrown out of alignment.
My glass was replaced, no touching of the ACC at all. Others have said the same thing.
Sponsored

ScramblerGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ8, MJ
Vehicle Showcase
My wife's Outback has two Eyesight cameras at the top of the windshield. Unlike a JL and JT the camera housing touches the glass. We had a cracked windshield replaced recently and the dealer wanted $300 to 'recalibrate' the Eyesight system in addition to the cost of the glass. We declined and went with a Safelite windshield, not because it was cheaper (it was) but because they could do a replacement in our driveway. Safelite offered to perform the calibration but for $600! I suspect they take them to the dealer and you're paying for the shuttle driver and a markup. We declined the offer.

The ACC works fine with a non-OEM windshield and no 'calibration' so I'm not sure why its needed for these systems and what is actually done.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
I doubt insurance companies would pay for it with a windshield replacement claim if it wasn't required by the manufacturer.
They're clueless then. It's not listed in the FCA service information under windshield replacement. If it was necessary they would include that step.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
They're clueless then. It's not listed in the FCA service information under windshield replacement. If it was necessary they would include that step.
My point exactly....it isn't required!

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
My insurance company says it has to be realigned. This sounds like a "might be a problem" sort of thing. It would kinda suck to have the computer totally screw up because it "saw" something differently from how it should. I have 100% glass coverage and it specifically says that realignment is included. The glass coverage was around $50 per year, and in Arizona there's no way to go more than 2-3 years without windshield damage.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My insurance company says it has to be realigned. This sounds like a "might be a problem" sort of thing. It would kinda suck to have the computer totally screw up because it "saw" something differently from how it should. I have 100% glass coverage and it specifically says that realignment is included. The glass coverage was around $50 per year, and in Arizona there's no way to go more than 2-3 years without windshield damage.
We know why it's included and recommended - because almost every other vehicle on the road WILL need or require it.
The JT and Wrangler are totally different animals in that they are the only ones where that device is mounted on the vehicles structure - the roll cage.
Others are mounted to the glass or the roof, not a solid structure that won't flex or give.
If you take my wife's Jeep in for glass - it will require it, same for my son's Compass. But these won't.

So they include it not because the JT requires it, but because basically all OTHER vehicles do.
That's generic wording not specific to that model.
I'll bet on it.
Can't go by insurance documents - they have to cover everyone and don't customize wording based on specific models.
I'd only ever go by what the FCA service documents say.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
If it's working properly now and they make any adjustments whatsoever they will be degrading the performance.
Much line wheel alignment, the first step is to check alignment and proceed from there. Which can be a change, or not. According to the dealer, FCA procedure requires a realignment. They could be lying, or just not know, or FCA is full of shit, dunno. But this is a conversation I had with them and the insurance company to decide on my glass coverage.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Much line wheel alignment, the first step is to check alignment and proceed from there. Which can be a change, or not. According to the dealer, FCA procedure requires a realignment. They could be lying, or just not know, or FCA is full of shit, dunno. But this is a conversation I had with them and the insurance company to decide on my glass coverage.
They're either lying or don't know. I've seen the service procedure.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is the entire installation procedure.

INSTALLATION
  1. A suitable body sealant should be applied when removing or moving the hinges.
  2. Align the hinges to the reference marks (2) made previously and tighten the hinge bolts (1) to the proper (Torque Specifications) .
  3. Install the cowl trim (Refer to 23 - Body/Exterior/COVER, Cowl Panel/Removal and Installation) .

Jeep Gladiator Adaptive Cruise Control alignment ault&X-Auth-Token=d6687e1bc7044ea1a815e9ee6d3c96d3

4. Seat the windshield frame on the header fully and install the bolts (1).
  5. Tighten the bolts (1) to the proper (Torque Specifications) .
  6. Install the wiper arms (Refer to 08 - Electrical/8R - Wipers/Washers/ARM, Wiper/Removal and Installation) .

Notice there is no mention of calibrating the Central Vision Processing Module.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

INSTALLATION
  1. A suitable body sealant should be applied when removing or moving the hinges.
  2. Align the hinges to the reference marks (2) made previously and tighten the hinge bolts (1) to the proper (Torque Specifications) .
  3. Install the cowl trim (Refer to 23 - Body/Exterior/COVER, Cowl Panel/Removal and Installation) .

Jeep Gladiator Adaptive Cruise Control alignment ault&X-Auth-Token=d6687e1bc7044ea1a815e9ee6d3c96d3

6. Install the wiper arms (Refer to 08 - Electrical/8R - Wipers/Washers/ARM, Wiper/Removal and Installation) .
Stew Hansen collision center did mine - no alignment. They are part of the Stew Hansen dealership although they bill separately. Mine works perfectly.
The most expensive part is the glass because I requested the correct and proper MOPAR part number original type glass- I wanted that little Jeep back in the lower right corner HAHAHA - well, that was part of it - honestly.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek

INSTALLATION

Notice there is no mention of calibrating the Central Vision Processing Module.
I also noticed the image is from a non-ACC vehicle.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
There's only one service procedure for windshield replacement on Gladiators regardless of options.
I repeat - that makes sense since the Gladiator has the ACC system mounted to the roll cage - NOT the roof or glass or windshield frame. What could possibly be impacted by broken glass, or replacing same?
If it was the act of replacing, then you'd have to align that thing every time you folded the windshield down and put it back up again. You don't even replace the glass with the windshield frame in place according to the directions (and I believe that's how it was explained to me as well)

RetCop402

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Gladiator Star Edition
Occupation
Retired:
You can get adaptive cruise control on a Sport S? I don’t ever remember seeing that as an option on the build site.
Yep, you can get it!
Sponsored