Sponsored

Adding Options to JTR Build- Regrets/Wishes?

Deola

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKURHR
Finally going to pull the trigger on a 2021 JTR with the diesel. I'm wondering what options you guys that already have your Jt's wish you would have gotten, ones you wish you hadn't, and ones you're pleased with. Thanks for any advice/feedback in advance
Sponsored

WhippetTaxi

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 410, 2011 BMW 1M, 2001 F250
Occupation
Retired
I bought my JT Rubicon off the lot, but the only option I wish it had included was the AUX switch group. I have since had one installed by the dealer, but it’s a better value if you get it factory installed. If you ever plan to add auxiliary lighting or other accessories requiring power and a switch, this is a handy option.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I wouldn't have gotten the cold weather group with heated steering wheel and seats, but my sweetie asked for it. Even in CA it's a very nice to have. First trip up the hill we froze our butts off IN JUNE. Warm hands, warm heart!

Glad I didn't get the cargo bed rails, way cheaper to add later, and the interior locking box is not for me. Same with the hardtop insulators, the forum pointed me to Hotheads and that's what I'll install. WAY less expensive and arguably better.

I thought I really wanted the trail cam, but no dealers around here order that way and I was too late to order orange from the factory. I wound up getting the same functionality with the ZAutomotive camera (still overpriced) bundled with the MANDATORY Tazer unit. For half the price of the factory trail cam. No spray nozzle but rear locker in 4Hi with swaybars disconnected is AMAZING.

Tow package of course, can't imagine a pickup without that.

Thought I didn't want leather, still feel that way - getting fried by your seats wearing shorts is a drag. Again, what I found on the lots, I found a way to live with, at least leather is easy to clean.

Hardtop is mandatory for me in a Jeep, others feel differently, never regret heaving my YJ hardtop back on for the Winter.

Automatic for towing and frankly, it's a great combination with the engine. My YJ is a 5 speed, I'll still get my fix.

No spray in bedliner, as my sweetie said, why cover up all that pretty paint? Rubber bed mat is working fine, have a bedrug in the box if I feel the need.

All I can think of right now.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I really wanted the trail cam option but was impatient. Added the zautomotive camera. It’s not bad.

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
I ordered a Sport S and didnt want too many options knowing I would go aftermarket for a fair amount

cold weather package for my wife but I secretly love the heated steering wheel
android/apple carplay with 7" touchscreen...its pretty awesome
hardtop
tow package (the wussy one because I wanted a 6MT)

I passed on the trail rail system, bedliner, tonneau, and floor liners but added all aftermarket for slightly cheaper. No regrets.

Went aftermarket for steel bumpers, no regrets.

Went rubi suspension, rock rails, and manual swaybar discos instead of rubi package (I know, I kow, I don't have lockers but after a JKUR and a Powerwagon that had the smartbar and lockers die I would rather just go with truetracks when they come out). No regrets

The one real regret I have is not adding the auxiliary switches. I just ordered them because I did not find an aftermarket solution that I liked better.

I'm still on the fence still about LEDs. The factory ones really do look nice but I don't actually feel like I need them.

Thats my experience, hope it helps.

Sponsored

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
I thought I’d hate adaptive cruise in a Jeep but I used it on my friends diesel JL on 37s across Arizona and now I consider it to be a must have

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I’m happy with every option I got. 8.4” radio and alpine stereo are pretty good and I’d be disappointed without those.
Aux group is useful.
Leather is easy to clean with kids.

The LED package is worth the price compared to cost of aftermarket headlights and the performance.

I wasn’t going to order steel bumpers but Mine came with them and it’s not worth buying new ones. Would’ve been happy to replace them with stronger aftermarket for about the same cost.

Bestop sunrider works well, with back windows down hardly any buffeting on Highway.
I wasn’t going to order advanced safety group but impulse bought off lot with it. I actually like it and it works well, use adaptive cruise on longer trips though not often on short commute.

Didn’t get cold weather group and wished I did.
Didn’t get cargo management package, no bed rails. I added BuiltRight rails/unistrut, plenty of diy options there like strut or L-trac. Don’t feel like I miss the under seat box or bed outlet (for my purposes) but would’ve been ok with them if included with the truck.

Maverick2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Occupation
NA
Regret the front trail cam. Wish I had gotten the bed outlet. I intend to do overlanding

Gijohn96

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Occupation
Refinery guy
I ordered my replacement with a tonneau cover. Once you hit 30 with the top off, that bubble sends anything from the bed into the cab including dust and debris.

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
Love the aux switches and cloth seats. Gets too hot in California for leather in a convertible.

I Didn’t think I would like the cold weather group, but I use it every morning right now. We have the top and doors off and the heated seat and steering wheel feel great during the cool mornings.

Mine didn’t come with the locking box under the rear seats. I was sad at first but realized you get a lot more room under the seats, without it. So it’s kinda up to what you want, more room or lockability.

I would also recommend the flux capacitor. The time travel is amazing.

Sponsored

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Regret the front trail cam. Wish I had gotten the bed outlet. I intend to do overlanding
Why would you regret the trail cam?
I forgot to mention that as one option I’m glad I got, use it often parking, and actually occasionally on the trail

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have any regrets, at least not yet. I bought my Sport S with towing off the lot, and it checked every box in my checklist. My checklist included things I didn't want as well as things I did want. I don't rock crawl or even ride trails, and my towing needs are met plenty well without Max Tow. I drive on the highway, rough driveways and dirt roads, and some light snow, so having all those crawling/trail related gadgets, lifts, wheels, tires, etc., had no value to me. No bed liner because I like the look of the paint, but I did put in a rubber mat. I'm thinking about a bed rug for the tailgate only - still on the fence about that one. No cold weather package. These cloth seats are comfy and what I prefer. I don't think I'll miss the seat heat. I may miss the heated steering wheels I've had on my previous several vehicles, but I think I'll survive.
When I look at all the JT's here on the forum and read what everybody says is needed on theirs, it's easy to start thinking "wow, maybe I should have bought one with the ______". That's what forums are good at, and I love looking at all the beautiful JT's on here, but I buy cars like I buy anything for my business. I made a list of what I wanted and didn't want or care for, looked at cost to value on other features, and I stuck with it. The only things I've added besides what I've already said are a rolling bed cover (much less $ than dealer), a Sunrider to replace the Freedom Panels (my favorite accessory), and a rubber ducky antenna to replace the long metal whip. I have no regrets at all, and I think my truck suits me better than any vehicle I've ever had.

Stonesolo

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator sport S
Occupation
Printer
I ordered a Sport S and didnt want too many options knowing I would go aftermarket for a fair amount

cold weather package for my wife but I secretly love the heated steering wheel
android/apple carplay with 7" touchscreen...its pretty awesome
hardtop
tow package (the wussy one because I wanted a 6MT)

I passed on the trail rail system, bedliner, tonneau, and floor liners but added all aftermarket for slightly cheaper. No regrets.

Went aftermarket for steel bumpers, no regrets.

Went rubi suspension, rock rails, and manual swaybar discos instead of rubi package (I know, I kow, I don't have lockers but after a JKUR and a Powerwagon that had the smartbar and lockers die I would rather just go with truetracks when they come out). No regrets

The one real regret I have is not adding the auxiliary switches. I just ordered them because I did not find an aftermarket solution that I liked better.

I'm still on the fence still about LEDs. The factory ones really do look nice but I don't actually feel like I need them.

Thats my experience, hope it helps.
You can add LED bulbs for cheap and it's an improvement over stock.

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
Again, bought mine off the lot because it was one of the colors I wanted. It came loaded. I didn't know that I wanted the extras until I had it.
I'm beat up so the heated seats and steering wheel are a must even in warm weather.
I like the factory rubber mats, the leather is what it is but easy to clean. I would have like the brown instead of black for summer sun reasons but probably doesn't make that much of a difference.
The remote start and proximity sensor turns out to be quite nice.
I like the looks of the regular wheels better than the premiums ones mine came with.
I use the front camera when getting into tight locations on work sites, and my wife watches it on trails-which is good and bad!
REALLY wish I had the steel front bumper but will order and aftermarket one in aluminum to help save weight.
The LED lighting is a great upgrade! I really don't see a need for auxiliary lights with as bright as these are.
I question the bed mounted 110V plug, I use my bed hard and would probably wipe it out. There is already a 110V plug in the rear console.
Truth is I bought it as a work truck. So I wanted the locking diffs and the extra towing with 4:10 gears and lower transfer case. The only real option that I had to have was the heated seats.
Sponsored