Adjusting Headlights - How To

Shoebox

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
After you lift one then you definitely should measure to the center and the 25ft rule applies either way.
You are in NC. There is no "25 ft rule" in NC. It is top of beam should be at center of headlight height or lower at 75 ft, and no higher than 42" at 75 ft.
Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
You are in NC. There is no "25 ft rule" in NC. It is top of beam should be at center of headlight height or lower at 75 ft, and no higher than 42" at 75 ft.
There ain't no 25ft rule anywhere, that's just to get you pretty much where you need to be at. If you adjust them using those measurements you will be fine. There no Dot rules on headlights in NC other than they can't be Deep Blue or Red and changing colors. Other than that if you go to a inspection station and they work your going to pass.

25ft 3ft means you measure 3ft up from the ground or if your lifted you measure to the center of the headlight. Then you take that measurement and measure up on a flat wall and put a mark or piece of tape on the wall and back your vehicle up 25ft and adjust your headlights down or up until the cutoff in center is right on the line. Using that method will get you in spec.

Shoebox

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
There ain't no 25ft rule anywhere, that's just to get you pretty much where you need to be at. If you adjust them using those measurements you will be fine. There no Dot rules on headlights in NC other than they can't be Deep Blue or Red and changing colors. Other than that if you go to a inspection station and they work your going to pass.
Not true.

"(b) Headlamps shall be deemed to comply with the foregoing provisions prohibiting glaring and dazzling l ights if none of the main bright portion of the headlamp beams rises above a horizontal plane passing through the lamp centers parallel to the level road upon which the loaded vehicle stands, and in no case higher than 42 inches, 75 feet ahead of the vehicle."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...AQFnoECAQQBg&usg=AOvVaw0PznzDgoxmmi6m3VLRiTUy

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Not true.

"(b) Headlamps shall be deemed to comply with the foregoing provisions prohibiting glaring and dazzling l ights if none of the main bright portion of the headlamp beams rises above a horizontal plane passing through the lamp centers parallel to the level road upon which the loaded vehicle stands, and in no case higher than 42 inches, 75 feet ahead of the vehicle."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...AQFnoECAQQBg&usg=AOvVaw0PznzDgoxmmi6m3VLRiTUy
I knew you was going to post that. If you go 25ft back 3ft up then it's going to meet those standards that you posted. Why does it have to be a argument or do you not understand what I'm saying. That will put you in spec with DOT guidelines and your headlights will not shine higher than 42 inches and will stay at or within the 75ft guidelines. The 25/3 is the rule of thumb to get them to 42" 75ft. Does that make sense.

But I'd be willing to bet you if you go to any NC inspection station they are just going to check and make sure they work high and Low beam and if they do you pass. They aren't going to go through the motions of trying to figure out if they are adjusted right or not and tell me of one time a person in NC has been ticketed for having poorly adjusted headlights. I've only heard of people getting tickets for running Blue or Red or having them changing colors.

Shoebox

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
I knew you was going to post that.
If you knew that, then you knew there are laws about it, and lied?

If you go 25ft back 3ft up then it's going to meet those standards that you posted.
Yes it will, and it will also be unsafe (for you) in most cases.

Why does it have to be a argument or do you not understand what I'm saying.
I understand what you're saying, and understand that it's bad information. If the center of your headlights happens to be at 36", then the 25/3 "rule" works fine. The higher your headlights are, the worse that "rule" gets. My headlights are at 48". Aiming them at 36" at 25 ft is a 12" drop over the 25 feet, so a 36" drop over 75 ft. My headlights would be at 12" at 75 ft. That is unsafe.

I know math is hard, but try it sometime.

That will put you in spec with DOT guidelines and your headlights will not shine higher than 42 inches and will stay at or within the 75ft guidelines.
Of course they won't shine higher than 42", depending on the lift they won't shine higher than 12" at 75 feet, which is unsafe.

The 25/3 is the rule of thumb to get them to 42" 75ft. Does that make sense.
Seriously, do you think about this before you post? If they are at 36" at 25 ft, and 42" at 75 ft, they are shining UP, and you WILL get a ticket. And you likely lowered your truck.

But I'd be willing to bet you if you go to any NC inspection station they are just going to check and make sure they work high and Low beam and if they do you pass. They aren't going to go through the motions of trying to figure out if they are adjusted right or not and tell me of one time a person in NC has been ticketed for having poorly adjusted headlights. I've only heard of people getting tickets for running Blue or Red or having them changing colors.
Shine your lights up and see what happens.

The point is not that you will get a ticket with the 25/3 thing. It's that it is bad information for aiming your headlights in most cases.

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
If you knew that, then you knew there are laws about it, and lied?

Yes it will, and it will also be unsafe (for you) in most cases.

I understand what you're saying, and understand that it's bad information. If the center of your headlights happens to be at 36", then the 25/3 "rule" works fine. The higher your headlights are, the worse that "rule" gets. My headlights are at 48". Aiming them at 36" at 25 ft is a 12" drop over the 25 feet, so a 36" drop over 75 ft. My headlights would be at 12" at 75 ft. That is unsafe.

I know math is hard, but try it sometime.

Of course they won't shine higher than 42", depending on the lift they won't shine higher than 12" at 75 feet, which is unsafe.

Seriously, do you think about this before you post? If they are at 36" at 25 ft, and 42" at 75 ft, they are shining UP, and you WILL get a ticket. And you likely lowered your truck.

Shine your lights up and see what happens.

The point is not that you will get a ticket with the 25/3 thing. It's that it is bad information for aiming your headlights in most cases.
Ok you win, carry on sir!!!! Some people:no:

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I adjusted mine by measuring to center of headlight and backing up 25ft. Just saying not to say anyone's wrong for how they do it to get to specs,that's how I did because I was lifted 2.5 inches at the time I adjusted them. This pictures shows me at about 75ft back and my headlight cutoff is at 40 inches off the ground for reference

Jeep Gladiator Adjusting Headlights - How To MVIMG_20200313_212614
Sponsored