First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Hi! new and excited Jeep and Gladiator Owner here. I have previously read in other forums that while towing with a Gladiator, no "settings" or "adjustments" need to be made to the Gladiator as the onboard tech should automatically compensate for the additional load. I have many questions about that, but I also wanted to ask this forum for advice when Carrying a load well under tow capacity but closer to the tongue weight capacity. In addition to off-roading I use my gladiator to travel to Motorcycle Track Day events and carry my Motorcycle on the back using a hitch carrier. The total weight of the bike and carrier is about 550lbs. While this is under the tongue weight limits (~750lbs) of the Gladiator with the max tow package and well under the tow capacity limit (7500 lbs), can clearly see that the rear rides noticeably lower than the front. Looking for advice / feedback on how to best compensate for this or if there is guidance in the operators manual I am not aware of. Thanks for your help.

IMG_0437.jpeg

IMG_0436.jpeg
Keep in mind towing and tongue weights are always lower on ALL manual transmission models compared to their automatic counterparts. Notice the softer rear springs lower tongue weight and towing capacity by 100/1000lb respectively for a Mojave automatic; but the manual rubicon has the same limitations at the mojave when comparing manual boxes.

The rear suspension on the Mojave is softer than the others to achieve the desired driving dynamics; so either change to "Max Tow" rear springs; or as mentioned above use airbag springs inside the rear coils while carrying the load.

Personally, I'd throw airsprings inside the rear coils and adjust as necessary based on what I'm carrying....and that's what I'll end up doing to transport my 1290SAR in the same fashion you do. It isn't the chassis jeep is concerned about, its the clutch in the transmission, and I personally wouldn't worry about it as long as the suspension is corrected for stability; but YMMV, and manual owners might know something about the gearbox that I don't.

$.02
Sponsored

Last edited: