First Name
Ernest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Physician
So just a brief backstory. In my old life I had a shop behind my house and all the good tools. This would have been a no brainer. But now I'm living in an apartment and space is a consideration. Someday I'm getting a shop again so I'm not adverse to collecting some tools. But I need to be realistic. For instance I can't have a 220 volt welder (no power outlet) and gas cylinders (maybe one small one)in the garage. No space and my landlord might wonder what I'm up to. I'm going to build brackets to mount my halogen foglights to the bumper.

So here's the choices.

1. I buy a small (120 volt) plasma cutter, medium size air compressor, air powered disc cutter,and a 12 inch disc grinder (I used to have the Harbor Frieght one and loved it) to work on at most 1/8 in thick aluminum or steel. I could do quite a few small projects with those. The aluminum would be marginal on such a small plasma cutter but I could always use my skill saw with blade to cut that thickness aluminum. Bring the parts to the local welder to get welded up. I figure that's about $1500 in tools plus however much it costs to get stuff welded. Also the time it takes to make parts (which I kind of enjoy doing). Then I got more stuff to store.

2. I become more modern, get an cad program, design my parts, have them laser cut and sent to my door and bring them to the welding guy. I'm not a computer guy but given some time I tend to figure out how to do things. I figure that's about $250 a year for the computer program subscription plus recurring costs depending on the material and size to have a company cut the parts. I haven't got a quote( because I don't have the cad program) but I'd be surprised if it was less than $100/ bracket. Could be more? Each bracket would probably be about 4 reasonably small pieces. These guys have to make a living and machines aren't cheap. And they ship the stuff though it could all go in an envelope. I'm not against learning computer stuff. Parts still go to the welding guy.

Just want some thoughts before I either go and buy the tools or go and buy the cad program. Unfortunately it seems these places can't give you a quote without the cad program to send them a file. If I do the cutting myself I don't need the cad program. To cad or not to cad. That is the question.

Since I made a lot of assumptions feel free to tell me I'm wrong either way. I can take it. 🤣😂🤣
Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
If it’s me, somewhere in the middle. Milwaukee m18 angle grinder, die grinder, and handheld bandsaw. Small bench top drill press. And a small wheel grinder like you described. Make your parts. Either make them in a bolt together design using angle iron, c channel, etc, or take them to a local welder cut and ready to weld. I no longer use my pneumatic tools. The battery tools are easier and more powerful. And they take up less space.

OP
OP

Vanishing Point

First Name
Ernest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Physician
If it’s me, somewhere in the middle. Milwaukee m18 angle grinder, die grinder, and handheld bandsaw. Small bench top drill press. And a small wheel grinder like you described. Make your parts. Either make them in a bolt together design using angle iron, c channel, etc, or take them to a local welder cut and ready to weld. I no longer use my pneumatic tools. The battery tools are easier and more powerful. And they take up less space.
The only reason I'd get the air compressor is to work the plasma cutter. I figure the pneumatic cutoff disc would be just to get a little more use from the compressor. Without a plasma cutter your idea is very sound. I wouldn't be surprised if a medium sized compressor would pop the circuit breaker here. Which would make it useless.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
For brackets you don't need anything more than a 120v MIG welder and the tank would have non-combustible gas in it. You'd only need a small tank.
I agree with Dan on the tools - I've got a drawer full of pneumatic tools like impacts (1/2 and 3/8") and more - some unused in years. Heck, even my grease gun is battery powered.
Slowly converting to electric/battery.
You don't need a big grinder. I've gotten by with my smaller B&D (4.5) angle grinder since I was on the farm. I've even got masonry disks for it. It's amazing what can be made with some thinking first.
I made an engine stand, engine hoist and a lot of other stuff in my shop.
Just made a tool for removing fuel sending unit lock rings from my old cars using stuff I had laying around and a Dremel tool and my MIG welder.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve got a 15 gallon two piston compressor and it’s useless for sanding or cut off wheels. My 18v die grinder and angle grinder are way more powerful, and no compressor. I’d like a plasma cutter I guess, but have never needed one to get things cut out. 2” and 4” cut off wheels, sawzalls, small bandsaws have done me well. But I often design my projects based on my tool list.

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I do have the “ability” to do basic welding now, but only arc. I know, it’s old basic stuff and more difficult to master, but I can do it without tanks of any kind, which I like. And if I get good enough, I can get a portable trail arc welder. I’d very much like a bench grinder, but have never figured out a good place for one. My space is very limited as well. So I use grinder wheels in my 4” angle grinder, and die grinder bits for tighter spots.

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
There's a lot of times I wish I had my old Forney stick welder back - and times I'd trade my MIG welder to get it back. I can't get a MIG to behave. Wire always feeding way too fast or too slow, just can't get it to work right. But a stick welder, I could almost sign my name in a perfect bead.

OP
OP

Vanishing Point

First Name
Ernest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Physician
For brackets you don't need anything more than a 120v MIG welder and the tank would have non-combustible gas in it. You'd only need a small tank.
I agree with Dan on the tools - I've got a drawer full of pneumatic tools like impacts (1/2 and 3/8") and more - some unused in years. Heck, even my grease gun is battery powered.
Slowly converting to electric/battery.
You don't need a big grinder. I've gotten by with my smaller B&D (4.5) angle grinder since I was on the farm. I've even got masonry disks for it. It's amazing what can be made with some thinking first.
I made an engine stand, engine hoist and a lot of other stuff in my shop.
Just made a tool for removing fuel sending unit lock rings from my old cars using stuff I had laying around and a Dremel tool and my MIG welder.
I just remember that third most used power tool I used to own was my 12" disc sander from Harbor Freight. Used it to size pieces to fit and rounded sharp corners off metal pieces. Just about every project I did used that disc sander.

My big drill press and hand held grinder with cutoff wheel were probably the first and second most used metal shop power tools. I don't have room for big drill press but Summitdan's and your suggestion for a hand held grinder with a cutoff wheel is spot on.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
There's a lot of times I wish I had my old Forney stick welder back - and times I'd trade my MIG welder to get it back. I can't get a MIG to behave. Wire always feeding way too fast or too slow, just can't get it to work right. But a stick welder, I could almost sign my name in a perfect bead.
I’ve never done anything but arc. I was taught as a kid with my grandpa’s Miller 180. I still use that machine. I’m third generation with it. I also have his bandsaw and table saw. The table saw is a 1920’s delta. The bandsaw is from 1960.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I just remember that third most used power tool I used to own was my 12" disc sander from Harbor Freight. Used it to size pieces to fit and rounded sharp corners off metal pieces. Just about every project I did used that disc sander.

My big drill press and hand held grinder with cutoff wheel were probably the first and second most used metal shop power tools. I don't have room for big drill press but Summitdan's and your suggestion for a hand held grinder with a cutoff wheel is spot on.
I’m working on a major bumper redesign right now. With my terrible welding skills, my angle grinder is getting a workout. :)

Sponsored

OP
OP

Vanishing Point

First Name
Ernest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Physician
I'm willing to let someone do the welding. Especially if I decide to go aluminum. I was never good at aluminum and not going to try and relearn it with an underpowered machine. Plus I always had adequate welders (Miller, Hobart) and don't want to buy a cheaper machine. Though they are much smaller now.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I'm willing to let someone do the welding. Especially if I decide to go aluminum. I was never good at aluminum and not going to try and relearn it with an underpowered machine. Plus I always had adequate welders (Miller, Hobart) and don't want to buy a cheaper machine. Though they are much smaller now.
My neighbor asked me why I wasn’t having someone do the welding for me on my bumper project. Because I can’t say I did it myself then. :)

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
My neighbor asked me why I wasn’t having someone do the welding for me on my bumper project. Because I can’t say I did it myself then. :)
Of course, until I’m done, I have a 1x6 as a bumper. So there’s some incentive to get it done faster.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve never done anything but arc. I was taught as a kid with my grandpa’s Miller 180. I still use that machine. I’m third generation with it. I also have his bandsaw and table saw. The table saw is a 1920’s delta. The bandsaw is from 1960.
One of my power hacksaws - (the other is at least 50% larger and has been electrified in the past with a decent electric motor powering it by another pulley)
Yes, they work and I use them at times. Not so much any more with the chop saw but these are more fun and make a lot less mess than a chop saw. Once the blade drops it triggers a rod to release the pulley clutch. The engine can continue to run but the saw stops moving.

Jeep Gladiator Advice on Building Brackets 1685374177245