Aftermarket Tonneau Covers?

CAL32

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Sting Gray/Toyota 4Runner Limited Pearl White
might want to get a piece of weather stripping or foam to bump up that whole rear part. The Maxmate came with such a piece of foam.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M1K4T40/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
47597505-887e-4038-81da-1a6c15b95d43-jpeg.jpg
Good idea, it came with 2 small pieces of foam and a weatherstrip for the bulkhead section, with that being said it rained a lot yesterday and water definitely came in through the edges up front...not enough to bother me but still for 900ish i would have liked waterproof...outside of that for having piece of mind and it being 100% secure back there its great
Sponsored

Otter155

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JT, 2007 JKU, 2001 TJ
Build Thread
Link
Installed the Rugged Ridge hard folding cover last night. I did NOT use the Mopar trail rails, instead I installed L-tracks on the sides.

Install went ok, but I'm slightly disappointed with how wide the tailgate end was after installing. I had to adjust the rails in quite a bit in order to get the cover to lock.

After watching a Northridge 4x4 install video on a different cover, I want to try making a bracket that fits the 2 bolt holes hidden under the bed caps. The downside to this approach is working around the foam padding on the side.

If a bracket would work with those 2 holes, then there would be no need to get the Mopar trail rails in order to install the hard rolling cover.

CAL32

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Installed the Rugged Ridge hard folding cover last night. I did NOT use the Mopar trail rails, instead I installed L-tracks on the sides.

Install went ok, but I'm slightly disappointed with how wide the tailgate end was after installing. I had to adjust the rails in quite a bit in order to get the cover to lock.

After watching a Northridge 4x4 install video on a different cover, I want to try making a bracket that fits the 2 bolt holes hidden under the bed caps. The downside to this approach is working around the foam padding on the side.

If a bracket would work with those 2 holes, then there would be no need to get the Mopar trail rails in order to install the hard rolling cover.
As far as the width of the cover and having to adjust the rail to get the cover to lock I had the same problem with the rolling hard cover. Due to this the rails are essentially inside of the bed caps when you get closer to the tailgate and im fairly certain this is causing some water to get in. Not thrilled with that along with the fact that I dropped an extra 300 for the trail rail...seems like you got that part figured out though...

jmeyer

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
I just installed the Rugged Ridge tri-fold hard tonneau cover. My only issue was not with the cover, but with my spray-in bed liner. The bed liner was sprayed on the threads where I needed to screw in the bolts. I had to use a screwdriver to gently clean up the grooves, but once that was accomplished, it was an hour install and easy. I actually made it more difficult in my head by being too cautious...Getting it centered was easy and it is working great so far. I'll post a picture later and update if it doesn't work out as expected.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
My $150 MaxMate cover from Amazon is still working great. Has been through storms and multiple auto-car washes.

Robieman

First Name
Robie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford F150; '20 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
I just installed the Rugged Ridge tri-fold hard tonneau cover. My only issue was not with the cover, but with my spray-in bed liner. The bed liner was sprayed on the threads where I needed to screw in the bolts. I had to use a screwdriver to gently clean up the grooves, but once that was accomplished, it was an hour install and easy. I actually made it more difficult in my head by being too cautious...Getting it centered was easy and it is working great so far. I'll post a picture later and update if it doesn't work out as expected.
I had the same problem with the screw holes and bedliner spray getting on the threads.

CAL32

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had a similar issue but it appears not nearly as bad, I have an aftermarket spray in bedliner and used a common screwdriver to scrape out as much liner spray as possible from the threads and it worked fine for mine. I have the RR Rolling Hard cover which is similar hardware to your trifold I would assume.

jmeyer

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
I had a similar issue but it appears not nearly as bad, I have an aftermarket spray in bedliner and used a common screwdriver to scrape out as much liner spray as possible from the threads and it worked fine for mine. I have the RR Rolling Hard cover which is similar hardware to your trifold I would assume.
Pretty sure it's the same hardware. I read reviews that stated you need the bed rail system from mopar to make this work, but I didn't need any of that... so I'm not sure what I did differently. it's supposed to rain tomorrow so we'll see how well that works :)

CAL32

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pretty sure it's the same hardware. I read reviews that stated you need the bed rail system from mopar to make this work, but I didn't need any of that... so I'm not sure what I did differently. it's supposed to rain tomorrow so we'll see how well that works :)
I installed mine with the bed rail system, when I bought it they didn’t have the bracket fabricated yet to enable it to install without the trail rail system...I wouldn’t expect 100% waterproof but it’s def good enough, I’d say about 90%. A little comes in at the corners

Sponsored

NateKY

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Sarge Green
Occupation
Department of the Army Civilian

NateKY

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Installed this today

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XMDHWJT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i have the rails, so i had to modify the mounting a bit. used some pieces from a tacoma bed rail topper kit i had laying around. For the price, i can make due. And it fits snug as it should
Can you post up some good pics of the cover on the gladiator or message me a few? All the advertisements I can find show other trucks and no gladiators. Thanks I’m advance.

NateKY

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation