Sponsored

Air Suspension and on-board Air

RiverMtnBeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S MaxTow
Anyone try an air bag lift? Thinking I really need an on-board air compressor for tires and inflatables, and figured it would be really cool to also have a ride-adjustable suspension as well, since the air is already there. Any suggestions?
Currently on Mopar 2.5” lift and 35” BFG KO2s. They fit at stock height, but feel like I’m on stilts for the highway. Thinking airbags could easily provide the lift in stock springs when needed.
Sponsored

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
I installed the Air Ride 1000 coil bags last night. I have the 2021 Gladiator Rubi and only went one size larger than stock KO2’s which makes them 34 1/4” tires. First time driving on coil springs and 2.0 Fox shocks so right off the bat I never like the soft bouncy flowy ride. I needed that firmer planted feel on the highway. I ran air bags in my last two previous vehicles so I knew these were what I needed. After the test drive, the sweet spot for the air pressure is 8lbs and that gave me 3/4” lift. I don’t carry much weight in the back all the time but now the ride in the back feels like it does up front.

The install was just over two hours on the floor with floor jacks and I didn’t need to take out the coils, just fully flexed them is all. I did undo the bottom bolts to the shocks and pulled the top bolts to the sway bar.

One trick you must do is install the air line to the bags and insert puck BEFORE putting the bag in the coil by running the air line down through the top of the spring and out the bottom spring space. There’s lots of line so pull it through, run it through the puck and install on the bag.

Flatten out the bag and cap the air line on the other end. Fold the bag again, long wise and zip tie it tight so she don’t unfold then fit the puck and bag up through the bottom coil space. Snip the zip tie and you’re golden. The rest is self explanatory.

Jeep Gladiator Air Suspension and on-board Air A9ED60C0-B911-42C0-B868-523FEFEF9963

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I installed the Air Ride 1000 coil bags last night. I have the 2021 Gladiator Rubi and only went one size larger than stock KO2’s which makes them 34 1/4” tires. First time driving on coil springs and 2.0 Fox shocks so right off the bat I never like the soft bouncy flowy ride. I needed that firmer planted feel on the highway. I ran air bags in my last two previous vehicles so I knew these were what I needed. After the test drive, the sweet spot for the air pressure is 8lbs and that gave me 3/4” lift. I don’t carry much weight in the back all the time but now the ride in the back feels like it does up front.

The install was just over two hours on the floor with floor jacks and I didn’t need to take out the coils, just fully flexed them is all. I did undo the bottom bolts to the shocks and pulled the top bolts to the sway bar.

One trick you must do is install the air line to the bags and insert puck BEFORE putting the bag in the coil by running the air line down through the top of the spring and out the bottom spring space. There’s lots of line so pull it through, run it through the puck and install on the bag.

Flatten out the bag and cap the air line on the other end. Fold the bag again, long wise and zip tie it tight so she don’t unfold then fit the puck and bag up through the bottom coil space. Snip the zip tie and you’re golden. The rest is self explanatory.

A9ED60C0-B911-42C0-B868-523FEFEF9963.jpeg
Thanks for the write up. I have a pair of Airlift bags on my F-350 for my camper and really enjoy them because they allow me to return to normal suspension when the camper is off.
Do you anticipate running with any weight in the back or did you just do it to firm up the rear?
Also, where did you run the airlines to?
Thanks!

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
Thanks for the write up. I have a pair of Airlift bags on my F-350 for my camper and really enjoy them because they allow me to return to normal suspension when the camper is off.
Do you anticipate running with any weight in the back or did you just do it to firm up the rear?
Also, where did you run the airlines to?
Thanks!
I installed them primarily to firm up the ride. I’ll run this system till I need to change out the spongy Fox shocks and upgrade to the Falcon 3.3 piggyback shocks and upgrade the coils at the same time.
Then, secondarily I got them for the 300lbs + I carry a few times back and forth to BC and back to Alberta for the mining season I do there.

So with the air lines, I started with the driver side bag, ran the air line back along top of the frame about a foot and zip tied it off on some factory stuff there then took a 90* angle there and ran it straight across over the spare tire to the other side. I spliced in the T fitting there for the other bag and ran the fill valve to under the bumper. Drilled a hole there and painted it with POR 15 and inserted the valve.

A525D2FF-C40E-4DB8-931E-ADFCE9251ADC.jpeg

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Thanks. I think I’m going to run a separate line back near the license plate like I did on my F-350. That way if I do have to trace down a leak it will be easier.
I have been looking for some upgraded springs but so far I haven’t been able to find any. I know that AEV is suppose to be working on some but who knows when it will be released. There is a company in Australia, Pedders, that has an upgraded set of shocks and springs that will allow them to legally increase the GVWR of new Gladiators. I have reached out to them but haven’t heard back yet...

Sponsored

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
It sound like you want to run something like a rubber bellows?

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Suspension-D2600-1-Single-Double/dp/B08SN7HQGS

There is a lot if design that goes into a true air suspension (no coil springs). The ride quality also varies dramatically on ride height. You should also have ride height sensors.

It would be cool to have on these Jeeps but I dont know if any kits out there to make it happen.