Alaska

AKDrifter

First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
There's also the road to Kennicot Mine; I haven't done that completely yet, but it's on my list.
We rented an RV and will be going out there July 11th. Bringing the Jeep too. If you've never been its a cool place man go. You ever been to Virginia City in Nevada? Its similar to that minus the bars and tourist shops. Haven't been there in over 10 years so we're excited to be going.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bacstar

Bacstar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Data Analyst
We rented an RV and will be going out there July 11th. Bringing the Jeep too. If you've never been its a cool place man go. You ever been to Virginia City in Nevada? Its similar to that minus the bars and tourist shops. Haven't been there in over 10 years so we're excited to be going.

I'll be heading down to Homer that week. Got the entire week off, so I'll be making some stops in-between. I have reservations at the Homer Spit Campground from 15-17th. If only Chitina wasn't the opposite side of the horseshoe, I'd say I would meet you there.

Maybe I'll try heading that way end of July though or at least before the summer is over. A couple summers ago, I accidentally ended up on that road to Kennicot. my gps maps on my phone wasn't showing me any useful info, so I decided to turn around before getting to the end. I was towing my rpod at the time, and I didn't know if I'd be able to turn around safely if i kept going. I chickened out, but now that i know, i defintely want to do it again.

It sounds familiar, but nope haven't been there. Have fun!

OP
OP
Bacstar

Bacstar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Data Analyst
Well i have a new monstrosity hanging off the back of my truck. I decided to go with the wdh from Curt vs the airlift airbags in the ring coils. I luckily was able to find one that was in-stock at the local 6 Robblees that was in the right weight range for my rpod.

Jeep Gladiator Alaska Curt WDH

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Nice... hope you are enjoying the sites so far. Did you take the Denali Hwy yet through to Paxson? Be sure to make a trip down to Valdez or Seward. There's also the road to Kennicot Mine; I haven't done that completely yet, but it's on my list. I know there's a bunch more places to go see and do. this is just scratching the surface. Jeep'n Alaska is a local facebook group, so try and get signed up.
‘We went from Tok to Fairbanks to the Ford dealer because an emission light came on (warranty fix) so didn’t take the Denali Highway.

we went to Kennicott mines and found a great place to boondocks on the way right on a small lake. Caught a couple of trout for dinner!

We made it to Valdez then over to Homer where we took a charter out and limited out on halibut and Kings! Shipped all those filets back home to VA. We took a charter flight from Homer to Kenai NP and got way to close to a bunch of Brown Bears....it was amazing!
Jeep Gladiator Alaska 4056BB0D-A58B-4BF6-981E-0C0ACE2F1037

OP
OP
Bacstar

Bacstar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Data Analyst
‘We went from Tok to Fairbanks to the Ford dealer because an emission light came on (warranty fix) so didn’t take the Denali Highway.

we went to Kennicott mines and found a great place to boondocks on the way right on a small lake. Caught a couple of trout for dinner!

We made it to Valdez then over to Homer where we took a charter out and limited out on halibut and Kings! Shipped all those filets back home to VA. We took a charter flight from Homer to Kenai NP and got way to close to a bunch of Brown Bears....it was amazing!
Sounds like a great trip so far... :) I did make a day trip down to Kennicot on Friday and back again in a day... I didn't realize it was another 50+ miles from Chitna to the mine. No way i wasn't going to finish it! I didn't have time to visit at the end though. Next time, I'll be bringing the camper. At least, I know the road now.

On the way out, someone left their mini-camper in the middle of the road with a broken axle. On my way back out, I did get a chance to talk to the owner once he got a tow company out there. Ruined their whole weekend, only had it a year.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bacstar

Bacstar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Data Analyst
Day Trip down to Chitina and McCarthy Road. It was a last minute decision, so no planning and realized by the time i got down there, it was another 50 + miles on dirt/gravel to Kennicot Mine. Sadly, didn't have time but turn around and head back when i made it. Next time, I'll be bringing the camper and spending a couple days to explore.

Jeep Gladiator Alaska McCarthy 1
Jeep Gladiator Alaska McCarthy 2
Jeep Gladiator Alaska McCarthy 5
Jeep Gladiator Alaska Wrangle-Elias Range

McCarthy 3.jpg

AKDrifter

First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Well we made it there and back again. Was a good trip. Didn't see you in Homer or I would have suggested a Gladiator trail ride on my friends private beach in Ninilchik. You can go for miles and miles off his beach which has a private access road, one of only 2 on the peninsula is what I understand. We had fun. Was behind a black Rubicon Glad from the Kuskulana to Palmer. The McCarthy road really smoothes out after the Kuskulana bridge. From MP 19 to 55 you can go a consistent 45mph. It's nuts how much smoother that section is.

20200712_210124.jpg

20200712_141313.jpg

20200711_231400.jpg

20200714_135846.jpg

20200712_143649.jpg

OP
OP
Bacstar

Bacstar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Data Analyst
Well we made it there and back again. Was a good trip. Didn't see you in Homer or I would have suggested a Gladiator trail ride on my friends private beach in Ninilchik. You can go for miles and miles off his beach which has a private access road, one of only 2 on the peninsula is what I understand. We had fun. Was behind a black Rubicon Glad from the Kuskulana to Palmer. The McCarthy road really smoothes out after the Kuskulana bridge. From MP 19 to 55 you can go a consistent 45mph. It's nuts how much smoother that section is.

Jeep Gladiator Alaska 20200712_143649

I'll be posting my pics of the past week. Sounds like you had an epic trip. I did drive on the beach at anchor point. Too bad we missed each other in Homer.

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester
I was just there. Of course no Gladiator as it is stuck in the lower 48 with the border closed. But we shared some of the same places. Went up to the Arctic Circle on the haul road then back down for a night at Chena hot springs and then a night at Denali park. The next week we went to Homer and camped on the beach on the Spit. Spent the next night at Stariski which is near Whisky Gultch. Went out on the beach there. And a hike up to the Russian River Falls near Cooper Landing. We had a great time.
Jeep Gladiator Alaska 20200709_112156
Jeep Gladiator Alaska NI8C7819
Jeep Gladiator Alaska 20200715_183736

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bacstar

Bacstar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Data Analyst
I was just there. Of course no Gladiator as it is stuck in the lower 48 with the border closed. But we shared some of the same places. Went up to the Arctic Circle on the haul road then back down for a night at Chena hot springs and then a night at Denali park. The next week we went to Homer and camped on the beach on the Spit. Spent the next night at Stariski which is near Whisky Gultch. Went out on the beach there. And a hike up to the Russian River Falls near Cooper Landing. We had a great time.
Jeep Gladiator Alaska 20200715_183736
Looks like a great trip! I need to do an arctic circle trip one of these days... maybe in the winter where less traffic and less gravel to throw around! It definitely is on my bucket list before i ever leave Alaska.

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester
Looks like a great trip! I need to do an arctic circle trip one of these days... maybe in the winter where less traffic and less gravel to throw around! It definitely is on my bucket list before i ever leave Alaska.
Actually right now is a great time on the Dalton Highway. Traffic is almost non existent and the road is in pretty good shape since there is so little traffic. There were 30 minute periods where we didn't see another vehicle, coming or going. There was only us and one other car at the Arctic Circle campground. When we were taking pictures at the sign a couple with a pickup camper pulled in to snap some pictures but that was it.

OP
OP
Bacstar

Bacstar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Data Analyst
Another Denali Highway trip. This time the roads were open, so made it all the way across the Denali hwy.
Jeep Gladiator Alaska Denali Hwy campsite

Jeep Gladiator Alaska another detour

Jeep Gladiator Alaska 115880760_10222934155961629_7699260516701134807_o

Only wildlife i ever see though:
Jeep Gladiator Alaska 115977777_10222934155681622_7449674825759130670_o

Jeep Gladiator Alaska 115960393_10222934156921653_4805689224012187033_o

AKDrifter

First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Well the kid wanted to go ride his dirtbike so I took him to Jim Creek both Friday and Saturday. I haven't been wheeling in Jim Creek period for 8 years. Last time I was out there was Labor Day Weekend 2012 in our old K5. The site is so much better than it was then. The new bathroom and campground at the trailhead are very nice. It used to just be a mudhole dirt parking lot totally surrounded by trees with about 15 burnt out wrecks strewn about. Basically the reason why I haven't been there in almost a decade. The trails themselves were still like a scene from Mad Max but he had fun.

20200905_155509.jpg

20200904_162646.jpg

OP
OP
Bacstar

Bacstar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Data Analyst
Last camping trip of the season. Trail River Campground, Moose Pass AK, right along Kenai Lake:
Jeep Gladiator Alaska 20200912_110428

Jeep Gladiator Alaska 20200912_154241

Wishbone Lake - wheeling destination a couple weekends before:

Jeep Gladiator Alaska IMG_1789

Jeep Gladiator Alaska IMG_1787

a video:Wishbone Lake Trail
Sponsored