All about that Price - no trouble?

K enny

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
So...just got a call from a local dealer who just got out of a meeting with his Jeep rep. He was told that pricing on the JT will be at an across-the-line $7800 premium over a comparable JL. If this is accurate, this is bad news, and even more than I was pessimistically expecting. And, even worse, he said that's the invoice markup, so expect $9k-ish on the sticker. Ouch.
Well if this is the case then I am out. A base Sport is not worth 40k and the Sport S with the few options I was considering would probably end up close to 50k. Out of my price range. Just not worth it.
Sponsored

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bitchin' Schwinn
Well if this is the case then I am out. A base Sport is not worth 40k and the Sport S with the few options I was considering would probably end up close to 50k. Out of my price range. Just not worth it.
I'm kinda still hoping this is just one salesman trying to gauge market tolerance, and that the actual premium will be lower, but even half that will scare off many on here. I know they don't want to cannibalize JL sales (which a similar price point would most certainly do) and they are looking to cap sales in the low 100k range while still maximizing profit, so the easiest way to achieve all, in my opinion, is to price it at the highest end of market tolerance. To do any less would be counterproductive, though it sure would make the average JT enthusiast very happy.
As for me, I'll go with a JL and eventually hunt the secondary market for a JT, but I suspect they will hold value even better than the Wrangler (especially the way the JL has been selling/saturating the market to this point).

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bitchin' Schwinn
At that pricing, the value just isn't there. Regardless of who can and can't afford it.
A sensible person would most likely agree, but Jeep's reply will be something like: "Then go buy one of the other Rubicon-capable 4-door convertible 7600 lb. towing cult-status pick up trucks out there."

Epb1981

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2011 corolla
Occupation
Fire Lieutenant
So...just got a call from a local dealer who just got out of a meeting with his Jeep rep. He was told that pricing on the JT will be at an across-the-line $7800 premium over a comparable JL. If this is accurate, this is bad news, and even more than I was pessimistically expecting. And, even worse, he said that's the invoice markup, so expect $9k-ish on the sticker. Ouch.
If that is the case I am 100% out and will just keep my tundra, no way could ever justify 40k for a base pick up with roll up windows. No ac and manual transmission

Sponsored

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Until the pricing hits it’s all speculation. I’ll reserve the flip out until then. I do know my opt out price, which is MSRP of 46k for Sport S with auto, hard top, max tow, and tech package. I will see if anyone will sell for 40k. If no deal, I’ll check into other options.

IWantAJeepGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Until the pricing hits it’s all speculation. I’ll reserve the flip out until then. I do know my opt out price, which is MSRP of 46k for Sport S with auto, hard top, max tow, and tech package. I will see if anyone will sell for 40k. If no deal, I’ll check into other options.
I'm no pessimist, but as you are kind of implying, no way you get that setup for 40k even if the premium is more like $3500 not $7k+. Hope I'm wrong.

IWantAJeepGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I'm kinda still hoping this is just one salesman trying to gauge market tolerance, and that the actual premium will be lower, but even half that will scare off many on here. I know they don't want to cannibalize JL sales (which a similar price point would most certainly do) and they are looking to cap sales in the low 100k range while still maximizing profit, so the easiest way to achieve all, in my opinion, is to price it at the highest end of market tolerance. To do any less would be counterproductive, though it sure would make the average JT enthusiast very happy.
As for me, I'll go with a JL and eventually hunt the secondary market for a JT, but I suspect they will hold value even better than the Wrangler (especially the way the JL has been selling/saturating the market to this point).
Good point, but there are still the people that think the Gladiator is ugly, not good enough for off-roading (Jeep crowd), too big, it's even more expensive, only on engine choice, etc. How much would it really eat into wrangler sales? A lot of people that never considered buying a Wrangler want this because the bed/truck-ness and other things are the cherry on top. That's where I am coming from at least.

NortheastJeep

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Wrangler
What options do you plan on getting and what price point do you put them at to reach your $45K Sport S?
A decently equipped Wrangler Sport S with leather like the Lariat is around $46k. I would expect the Gladiator to command around a 8-10% premium over that, so $49-51k seems about right. More than a loaded Ranger, but unless you have a chainsaw, that Ranger top just ain't coming off....
The Gladiator vs Wrangler Sport is apples vs or
Good point, but there are still the people that think the Gladiator is ugly, not good enough for off-roading (Jeep crowd), too big, it's even more expensive, only on engine choice, etc. How much would it really eat into wrangler sales? A lot of people that never considered buying a Wrangler want this because the bed/truck-ness and other things are the cherry on top. That's where I am coming from at least.
I agree.

The Gladitor is not for all Jeep enthusiasts. I don't see how the Gladitor will hurt JL sales.

If there is premium $ on this sucker I will wait until the following year. Or pick up a used one off a lease.

The Hellcat had premium $ the first year and was dropped the following year.

There is no way to Jusitfy paying over 50 k for a Sport S not fully loaded for premium $. That is fully loaded, extended cab, truck pricing.

Hopefully not all dealers will stick a hardworking person with a premium.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bitchin' Schwinn
The Gladiator vs Wrangler Sport is apples vs or

I agree.

The Gladitor is not for all Jeep enthusiasts. I don't see how the Gladitor will hurt JL sales.

If there is premium $ on this sucker I will wait until the following year. Or pick up a used one off a lease.

The Hellcat had premium $ the first year and was dropped the following year.

There is no way to Jusitfy paying over 50 k for a Sport S not fully loaded for premium $. That is fully loaded, extended cab, truck pricing.

Hopefully not all dealers will stick a hardworking person with a premium.
A few points: I feel, at least from what I've read here and on JLWrangler forum, that there are a lot of potential Wrangler buyers who are waiting to see JT prices before pulling the trigger. I, myself, am one of them. I don't feel that the Gladiator will "hurt" JL sales. It's more of a situation where you have a good deal of people who want a Wrangler, and are willing to pay for one, who would also strongly consider a Gladiator if it were at or around the same price point. Jeep is looking to avoid this sort of cannibalization: having a captive-market JL buyer simply switch to the JT. They would prefer that that person purchase the JL as planned, and create a totally new market for the JT, thereby increasing net buyers. Why affect JL sales at all by having buyers make a parallel move to the JT? Instead, increase total market share by creating a new slot, above the Wrangler. And the easiest way to do that is to overprice the JT (and justify that price with increased capabilities/utility).

I agree that these 2 vehicles are quite different, but the vast majority of Wrangler buyers buy them for utility, not for hard-core crawling. There simply aren't 240,000 new Wrangler buyers in the country (last year's sales number) that mod and crawl. A larger number simply want a rugged, capable, 4-door, 4x4 convertible. The JL and the JT check all these boxes, making them competitors were they at the same price point.

Finally, in no way did I mean to imply that this premium will be a dealer-imposed mark-up. Jeep will be charging dealers $7800 more for the Gladiator (invoice) that they charge for a comparably equipped Wrangler, according to my source (a Jeep dealer). The premiums the Hellcat buyers were seeing were dealer mark-ups, or secondary stickers, where the dealer throws vin etching and nitrogen in the tires on a secondary sticker and adds a "premium" amount based on demand. While that may, indeed happen, that's above and beyond the amount Jeep feels it can get for a Gladiator of a Wrangler.

Sponsored

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
A few points: I feel, at least from what I've read here and on JLWrangler forum, that there are a lot of potential Wrangler buyers who are waiting to see JT prices before pulling the trigger. I, myself, am one of them. I don't feel that the Gladiator will "hurt" JL sales. It's more of a situation where you have a good deal of people who want a Wrangler, and are willing to pay for one, who would also strongly consider a Gladiator if it were at or around the same price point. Jeep is looking to avoid this sort of cannibalization: having a captive-market JL buyer simply switch to the JT. They would prefer that that person purchase the JL as planned, and create a totally new market for the JT, thereby increasing net buyers. Why affect JL sales at all by having buyers make a parallel move to the JT? Instead, increase total market share by creating a new slot, above the Wrangler. And the easiest way to do that is to overprice the JT (and justify that price with increased capabilities/utility).

I agree that these 2 vehicles are quite different, but the vast majority of Wrangler buyers buy them for utility, not for hard-core crawling. There simply aren't 240,000 new Wrangler buyers in the country (last year's sales number) that mod and crawl. A larger number simply want a rugged, capable, 4-door, 4x4 convertible. The JL and the JT check all these boxes, making them competitors were they at the same price point.

Finally, in no way did I mean to imply that this premium will be a dealer-imposed mark-up. Jeep will be charging dealers $7800 more for the Gladiator (invoice) that they charge for a comparably equipped Wrangler, according to my source (a Jeep dealer). The premiums the Hellcat buyers were seeing were dealer mark-ups, or secondary stickers, where the dealer throws vin etching and nitrogen in the tires on a secondary sticker and adds a "premium" amount based on demand. While that may, indeed happen, that's above and beyond the amount Jeep feels it can get for a Gladiator of a Wrangler.
Your source (a jeep dealer) also knows a crack dealer apparently. $7,800 more invoice apples to apples JL vs JT is insane propaganda.

After pricing drops I want you to come back here and apologies for stoking the pricing hysteria.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bitchin' Schwinn
Your source (a jeep dealer) also knows a crack dealer apparently. $7,800 more invoice apples to apples JL vs JT is insane propaganda.

After pricing drops I want you to come back here and apologies for stoking the pricing hysteria.
I had considered that possibility, but I wondered "Why would he fabricate an invoice price, especially one that is so much higher than anyone anticipated?" I couldn't come up with a decent reason, as I only contacted him to request a brochure and never discussed interest in the JL (maybe he thought I'd immediately give up on a JT and order a JL on the spot?). In previous posts (I'm assuming you've read them all? #33?), I did state that this might be inflated (perhaps even doubled), but, again, I don't know why he'd do that, as it will only scare me away.
I'm hoping it's pure propaganda (and I'm just not smart enough to understand the motivation), but the blame for the misinformation lies (get it? lies?) with the dealer, whom I will call on the carpet if this proves to be the case.
I am here to stoke nothing, just reporting the most recent information I have been given, and, therefore, will have nothing to "apologies" for. If this information, given to me as "accurate and factual" from an otherwise reputable/knowledgeable source, affects any "hysteria" (why would anyone get hysterical about a car price?), that is on the easily hysterified, not me.

Last edited:

CbtEngr8591

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubi
from the last few posts seems like that particular dealer wanted to make a JL sale now verses a JT sale later. :popcorn: Can we get the popcorn emoji while all this speculation is going on? I'm hungry

Roddy13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I do not understand why they are holding back on announcing the price. They will sell and they know it, they have shown it and said when it will be available, more or less, but no price yet. I am afraid that it is because they are going to try to get every penny they can and then some. There will always be some that will pay whatever plus some just to have the newest toy for their "lifestyle" and I think that is the people they are aiming at. The stupid and the trendy with more money than sense. The problem with that is that they are going to price most of their customers out of the market and to their competitors.
They are holding back because the pricing is going to hurt and they are talking to banks to push out the 96 months finance term to 100 months or 108months so that people will be able to get into one of these.

Can you imagine 9 year finance terms

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bitchin' Schwinn
from the last few posts seems like that particular dealer wanted to make a JL sale now verses a JT sale later. :popcorn: Can we get the popcorn emoji while all this speculation is going on? I'm hungry
You know, I did consider this, but he's actually pushing me towards the JT, telling me to go to the configurator at Jeep.com, build one, and he'll price it out as soon as the info drops, with absolutely no mention of the "right here, right now" JL, which the way things are looking, I'll probably end up in anyway, regardless of pricing.
Sponsored