Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Two things:
1) Very helpful thread and your posts of course, since 13.6v on the instrument panel was worrying me I didn't change the midget battery fast enough to avoid damage to the main battery.

2) You're getting a NEW Gladiator?

When I first start mine it's in the 14s, sometimes 13s. Mine has been sitting a lot lately to save miles on it (I have it traded in for a new one) so the battery itself reads low.
Sponsored

B1tPirate

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Plus the combo of the bad batches of batteries and my friend’s Gladiator charging at north of 14v had me concerned too.
Unless you have a separate isolated voltage meter you are seeing the alternator voltage while the engine is running. If you are using the dash gauges then go to "run" without starting the motor and anything above 12.1 volts is good, 11.7 - 11.9 is time to look at a new battery. With the engine running anything between 12.5 and 13.5 is normal. If you have a higher capacity alternator (max tow has a 220w alternator) you should see 14V on startup or if you have an accessory pulling extra power, the computer will kick the alternator up to 13.9 - 14.2V.

Heavy duty pickups with 260w alternators will show as high as 14.3V on startup to recharge the battery after the starter drew power, then it will drop to 12.7ish. If an inverter, compressor, etc are turned on the engine will kick the voltage back up to 14V to accommodate the draw.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Unless you have a separate isolated voltage meter you are seeing the alternator voltage while the engine is running. If you are using the dash gauges then go to "run" without starting the motor and anything above 12.1 volts is good, 11.7 - 11.9 is time to look at a new battery. With the engine running anything between 12.5 and 13.5 is normal. If you have a higher capacity alternator (max tow has a 220w alternator) you should see 14V on startup or if you have an accessory pulling extra power, the computer will kick the alternator up to 13.9 - 14.2V.

Heavy duty pickups with 260w alternators will show as high as 14.3V on startup to recharge the battery after the starter drew power, then it will drop to 12.7ish. If an inverter, compressor, etc are turned on the engine will kick the voltage back up to 14V to accommodate the draw.
14.7 volts is not out of the realm of reality. In fact, I've seen 14.6-14.7 fairly regularly.
You'll see higher voltages when charging AGM batteries with a correct charger.

Sorry, your voltages are off.
No, 12.1 volts is not good. In fact if you see that real regular, eventually your battery will not fully charge if it doesn't go over a certain point.
With AGM, you want over 12.6 to be fully charged.
That's typically 12.7-12.8 volts for these.
A SoC of 12.4 or under is where sulfation starts to occur.
12.1 is under 50% charged, for many, about 40% charged at best (connect a good charger, it will tell you, but it must be AGM type charger). Even my AGM specific charger agrees with that. (see chart below)

I've laid all of this out a couple of times, once in a long thread doing some troubleshooting and testing on my own truck.

Heavy duty pickups with 260w alternators will show as high as 14.3V on startup to recharge the battery after the starter drew power, then it will drop to 12.7ish.
......... I think you mean 260 AMPS, not W for watts. Alternators are rated in Amps (A) not watts (W).
I restore/repair/rebuild alternators in my shop, as well as test them.

The system may not drop to 12.7 unless the PCM via IBS senses there's no load, and the PCM has determined certain conditions are met - lighting and other loads, battery true state of charge based on mA in and out over time and other factors. The PCM controls the charging rate - voltage, etc. based on a number of needs and criteria.

The maximum amperage output of the alternator isn't what determines the charging rate of the battery, or the voltage you see. If a 100 amp alternator wasn't handling any other load, it could charge a battery at 15.0 volts if needed.

Unless you have a separate isolated voltage meter you are seeing the alternator voltage while the engine is running.
You'll not be able to read the battery voltage itself with the engine running - can't be done since the battery voltage across the terminals is what the system voltage is, accounting for voltage drop at connections, etc.
But if you have the volt meter selected when you hit the button and go into ACC mode, you can read the battery voltage before starting it. It will be a bit off in my experience, compared to a Fluke. The cluster usually reads just a little bit lower - possibly due to the IBS.
I have not tried to isolate the difference.

Here the charger says that 12.2 volts is 48% charged. That's pretty much in agreement with the chart below.

Jeep Gladiator Alternator or battery? 20220415_120844

Jeep Gladiator Alternator or battery? 20220415_120805

AGM battery
State of Charge
(SoC)
Open-circuit
voltage*
Notes
100%12.7…13.0 Vvaries
80%12.5…12.7 V
60%12.3…12.5 Vrecharge
recommended
40%12.0…12.2 V
20%11.8…12.0 V
10%11.7…11.9 Vstop discharge
0%11.4…11.6 Vpermanent
damage
*after 12h rest

Here are some possible voltage ranges based on what the PCM has decided is needed. When you need power - the engine needs all it can muster, the field current may be cut briefly, dropping system voltage into the 12s (purple)
If the batteries are at or near 100% SoC, it may go into trickle charge mode just to maintain them.
AGM also require very different charging processes than standard flooded batteries.

This is from MOPAR tech documents -

Jeep Gladiator Alternator or battery? 1653622778266

B1tPirate

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Full disclaimer - I am not a certified technician or mechanic. Everything I post is from my personal experience working with Ford/GM/Ram trucks from owning a transportation company and a truck customization company.

Battery health is something we watch closely so I install battery monitors that are isolated and communicate via Bluetooth so it is easy to see actual voltage with the trucks off. The battery monitor also helps bleed off any voltage float on a vehicle that was just turned off.

You are correct, 12.1 is not a healthy battery, but in my transportation business I have never treated it as a "drive to O'Reilly's right now" type of situation either. 11.9 has been my point where I consider it urgent on my own vehicles.

You voltage chart is great and I think very helpful for anyone that lands on this thread.

BTW - Of course I meant amps instead of watts, I knew I should have re-read before I posted...

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
BTW - Of course I meant amps instead of watts, I knew I should have re-read before I posted...
I figured it was a simple basic error - thinking one thing, type another, somewhere the neurons missed a turn. The numbers were right for amps............

I guess I get picky on electrical things. I've done electric, mostly automotive, since about age 12 or so. Short time as a maintenance electrician, then a couple of years as electrician for PFG (man I hate those noisy core drills and fishing in stuffed floor channels) but mostly automotive.
Most of my experience is pre-year 2000 so I've had to bring myself up to speed. I may miss here and there.

Right that 12.1 isn't a "replace battery" emergency, but IMO, it's a "why is it that low, investigate" thing. (especially when battery makers say that sulfation processes can start at below 12.4, and if AGM batteries are never fully charged - if they are only ever charged to, say, 60%, after a while that's all they'll take.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
2) You're getting a NEW Gladiator?
LOL - yeah, maybe. Ordered 5/02/22, confirmed by an email from Jeep on 5/03 with order number, crickets since. Not scheduled, no word, still in D (not D1)
Will be identical (I hope, anyway) except for addition of Selec-Trac transfer case, aux switches.

Time will tell - if I get it or not, seems some are getting lost or never being built, and whether or not it will match this one in reliability, lack of major issues.
Sponsored