First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Occupation
Account Manager
Not sure if "battery talk" is the right section to post an alternator question, but here it goes.

I have a huge Gladiator problem, My wife's 2011 Town and Country minivan is not charging the battery, so she's stolen my Gladiator! Hoping you guys could provide a little help.

Town and Country got the battery light on the dash. About 5 minutes later got a Christmas tree of lights on the dash and the van died, not even enough juice to lock the doors back, completely dead.

Luckily I wasn't too far from home, took the batter home and charged over night, put the battery back and drove the van home, battery light came back on about half way home.

I got 12.1V with the van off, about 11.7V while running, but the voltage dropped over the next 5 minutes of idling, so the alternator is definitely not charging. I bought a remanufactured ACDelco alternator and put it in last night, Exact same symptoms after the new alternator.

I checked the voltage at the large stud on the back of the new alternator while running and was receiving around 11.5V there. Does this definitely point to the new alternator being bad? How would I test the PCM? Battery is 2.5 years old, still under warranty so I don't believe that's the issue, but I'll be taking that and the old alternator up to AZ to test today.

I ordered a regulator bypass kit, but it'll take 2 days to get here. I'm trying to come up with any tests in the meantime where I can confirm if the alternator is bad vs the PCM being bad vs whatever else could be bad.

Thanks!
Sponsored