First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!
Really love the Alu-Cab for the purposes of overlanding which I intend, BUT, understand from multiple sources that the largest tire size that can be fitted to the alu-cab is a 33" tire. For those of you with an alu-cab, do you see a way the tire mount/door/hinge and be reinforced to accept a larger tire...35" or 37"?
Sponsored

LaterGator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator
Other options:
Keep the spare tire under the bed. Will fit up to 37" tire.
Replace bumper with something like the expedition one bumper with the swing-out tire carrier. Will support up to 38" tire.

SCDerby

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
Occupation
Engineer
this 👆

But also, consider a hitch-mount swing arm from Rigd Supply. It accepts up to a 37" for their standard multi-fit or up to a 40" for their mega-fit. Seems very solid and reviews are excellent. This is what I'm considering when I get the Alu-Cab Canopy Camper.

teamblkdog

First Name
Christy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
christykintzel.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Alu-Cab Canopy Camper
Occupation
visual designer
Really love the Alu-Cab for the purposes of overlanding which I intend, BUT, understand from multiple sources that the largest tire size that can be fitted to the alu-cab is a 33" tire. For those of you with an alu-cab, do you see a way the tire mount/door/hinge and be reinforced to accept a larger tire...35" or 37"?
I only have 31.5" and I've pushed in the molle panel on the passenger side next to the door when it swings open and the tire makes contact. I think a 35" would limit your ability to open the door fully.

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
Use that door space for something more practical than the wheel/tire. A 37" fits in the OEM location under the bed and is better for COG. GP factor has great options for the rear door of the AluCab Canopy Camper.

Sponsored

813 Fabrication & Design

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.813fabrication.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
I've seen several with 35" and 37" mounted to the door. I would agree with others, keep it under the bed. Most only remove the spare from under the bed for rock crawling, which isn't really the goal with mounting the canopy camper.

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
Subbed... Alu-Cab is top of my list for upcoming purchase because the door mount makes it relatively painless to carry a second spare when needed. But the 33" limitation is a problem. Hinge weight limits seems vague to me, and it seems fairly easy to just add more hinges. Skip the rear MOLLE panels for clearance (it's an option anyway).

I understand the mount goes through the central door ribs for strength. And when mounted centrally, a larger tire will hit the latch rod. I don't see why you wouldn't just space the wheel out a bit further to clear the rod then. Or drill the mount a little away from the hinges (to the left) to reduce interference, with backing plates on the upper and lower bolts. The left and right bolts will still catch the horizontal rib.
Sponsored