Am I asking to much? Windshield replacement

SandAJT

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Accord Sport
Looking for some opinions and options as to what to do next.

I did buy just the glass warranty from the dealership. So when the windshield cracked with 4097 miles on it I called the warranty company to get it replaced. Super easy to deal with, OEM glass, scheduled a company to come out to the house the next day!

Company was on time, but that is where the good part of this experience ends.

Moved the Jeep into the middle of the garage since it was cold outside and let him work inside. Went in the house while he was getting started to check on kiddo and grab some coffee when I heard the noise. I popped out to see how it was going when I saw him using a sawzall tool to cut out the windshield. When he got the glass out I looked to see if there were any scratches on the frame. My old XJ had rust issues around the windshield from damage caused during a windshield replacement. The frame was scratched and damaged from the tool all the way around, I don't think he left more than an inch untouched! They did "primer" the marks and installed the new glass. He came to clean the dash with blue Scott's shop towels and glass cleaner so I asked he not clean anything! I was afraid of damage from the metal and glass shavings all over the dash.

With the new glass in you can see only one small spot of primer showing. However I feel like they caused excessive damage to the frame in the removal of the glass and I am afraid it will have the same fate as the XJ, rust! The tech was a hack in general for an ocd like me, no protection for dash, seats or hood, laid tools and supplies on hood, stepping in and out of jambs with no protection.

I did file a complaint with the warranty company. I also had the shop manager come look at the truck and he is not willing to do anything since you can't see it, he did offer to stretch and glue the window seal to hide the primer. I declined as that is not the right fix. He called it a successful install since all the damage is hidden.

I think they should have the frame repainted for me. Is that unreasonable? Any glass people who can say what the best way to remove a JT windshield is? I do plan on getting an estimate to fix paint and have a couple glass places tell me how they would remove it. If a windshield replacement is this invasive every 5k miles I won't have a windshield frame by 50k!

Thank you in advance for any advice or bridge building materials so I can just get over it!

20200225_091950.jpg
20200225_091946.jpg
20200225_114955.jpg

20200225_091950.jpg

20200225_114955.jpg

20200225_091946.jpg

20200225_091950.jpg

20200225_114955.jpg

20200225_092002.jpg
Sponsored

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Thats savage. This is where wire saws are used. I'd be on them about this just do to the glass slivers that are now free-balling around the cab, god forbid you turn on the heat one day and a flake finds an eye. Did they make any attempt to cover the dash?

I'd open the discussion with the carrier and show them the photos showing the scratches to the frame and the glass everywhere. Unfortunately they aren't going to paint the frame but it never hurts to document it all with a grievance. I'd wave the kids around like a war flag, citing that you just don't know how much glass really is in the cab now do you? Wring a surgical dash off cleaning for the cab out of them.

Sorry the tech is such a douchebag.

PapaChop83

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.revitalizeautospa.com
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator, '04 CLK 55 AMG, '21 Kia Telluride
Vehicle Showcase
You're 100% in the right - I would be UBER pissed. You NEVER saw into glass without covering EVERYTHING. And that doesn't even address using a reciprocating saw that close to the frame. Take them to town, man.

OP
OP
SandAJT

SandAJT

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thats savage. This is where wire saws are used. I'd be on them about this just do to the glass slivers that are now free-balling around the cab, god forbid you turn on the heat one day and a flake finds an eye. Did they make any attempt to cover the dash?

I'd open the discussion with the carrier and show them the photos showing the scratches to the frame and the glass everywhere. Unfortunately they aren't going to paint the frame but it never hurts to document it all with a grievance. I'd wave the kids around like a war flag, citing that you just don't know how much glass really is in the cab now do you? Wring a surgical dash off cleaning for the cab out of them.

Sorry the tech is such a douchebag.
He never covered anything, the speakers and defrost are full of glass and debris, all the way down to the console. Super frustrating to see people not care! Unfortunately after this I looked and found everyone using the cable to cut it out on the Jeeps.

Put the kids all in safety glasses anytime they ride in the Jeep post that picture with their review!

Sponsored

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
You can literally see metal shavings where they hit and cut into the frame. I would be pissed and I've never seen such a hack job. This definitely was not the right way. Go after them with all you got

20200225_114955~2.jpg

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
That is completely unacceptable.

Most insurance companies will replace windshields for free or a nominal fee. A reputable place would never have allowed that hack replacement.

Best of luck in getting it resolved.

CarolinaGladiator

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Velocity JTR
What company was this?

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
That’s ridiculous! I had the windshield replaced on my JK last year before trading it in and when they went to take the old one out, he used a heat gun to soften the glue in one corner to shove the aforementioned cable saw through and then one guy inside and one out worked the cable in and out all the way around. This was at a mom and pop glass shop near me (a lot cheaper than safelite). Years ago I had one replaced and the guy came to me. He had a generator in the back of his van and used what I can only describe as a soldering iron with an L-shaped tip. Plugged it and went around the windshield from the outside sticking little wood shims in along the way. Lifted right out. If I seen a guy heading to my truck with a sawzall to take out the windshield, I’d probably flip the f out!! I can be a redneck sometimes but even I’m not that bad.

I’d tell them I’m taking it to the dealer for a new windshield frame and will be sending them the bill that they can pay with or without a court order!!

OP
OP
SandAJT

SandAJT

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is completely unacceptable.

Most insurance companies will replace windshields for free or a nominal fee. A reputable place would never have allowed that hack replacement.

Best of luck in getting it resolved.
Unfortunately in Colorado your windshield is just part of your comprehensive coverage so what ever your deductible is each time you need one. The five year coverage cost my deductible 3x so I figured I was better off with dealer plan.

They have 20 mobile trucks and two locations so I assumed they were a decent size company, and they had decent Google rating.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SandAJT

SandAJT

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s ridiculous! I had the windshield replaced on my JK last year before trading it in and when they went to take the old one out, he used a heat gun to soften the glue in one corner to shove the aforementioned cable saw through and then one guy inside and one out worked the cable in and out all the way around. This was at a mom and pop glass shop near me (a lot cheaper than safelite). Years ago I had one replaced and the guy came to me. He had a generator in the back of his van and used what I can only describe as a soldering iron with an L-shaped tip. Plugged it and went around the windshield from the outside sticking little wood shims in along the way. Lifted right out. If I seen a guy heading to my truck with a sawzall to take out the windshield, I’d probably flip the f out!! I can be a redneck sometimes but even I’m not that bad.

I’d tell them I’m taking it to the dealer for a new windshield frame and will be sending them the bill that they can pay with or without a court order!!
I was thinking I may have to go the court route, but needed to get all my ducks in row! Quote for frame repair, other glass company(s) to say proper removal method for the Jeep. Anything else??

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I was thinking I may have to go the court route, but needed to get all my ducks in row! Quote for frame repair, other glass company(s) to say proper removal method for the Jeep. Anything else??
Don’t forget to add your time and effort cleaning up their mess and the downtime you incur having someone else redo the job right & fix their screw up.

I’d also consider insisting on a new window frame as the one you have had been cut into and is therefore weakened.

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase

Yes, this is small court stuff. Unfortunately this frame is not like swapping out a CJ or TJ but not too much worse. Get quotes for a complete repair or repaint and an industrial auto cleaning and detail with damn heave emphasis on the VAC and BLOW I am talking technical dismantling cleaning of the front daysh with significant part removals of the bigger pieces.. Get to small claims court! What has your Auto Ins.Co. said?

That court suggestion above may be too long process for your daily driver needs and safety. See if you can find and auto detailer or even some of the radio / speaker shops that know how to dimantle that dash swiftly and get them to clean it up asap. The have that bill when you do get to court for a repaint.

Damn good education for all of us,

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
quote for a removal and cleaning of many/multiple dash components. Get the work down now for safety then take the bill with you. Either that or do it yourself soon. Even in Colorado, I Can't assume this removal method is acceptable???

OP
OP
SandAJT

SandAJT

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, this is small court stuff. Unfortunately this frame is not like swapping out a CJ or TJ but not too much worse. Get quotes for a complete repair or repaint and an industrial auto cleaning and detail with damn heave emphasis on the VAC and BLOW I am talking technical dismantling cleaning of the front daysh with significant part removals of the bigger pieces.. Get to small claims court! What has your Auto Ins.Co. said?

That court suggestion above may be too long process for your daily driver needs and safety. See if you can find and auto detailer or even some of the radio / speaker shops that know how to dimantle that dash swiftly and get them to clean it up asap. The have that bill when you do get to court for a repaint.

Damn good education for all of us,
Fortunately it is not my dd and has been just sitting in the garage for two weeks while I figure out what to do. I should have time today to make some phone calls and get the ball rolling. I will get all numbers to the company for cleaning and repair and offer one chance to make it right before I file it.

I have not talked to my insurance company, they have been less than helpful so far with a claim on my Accord. An overloaded semi dropped some landscaping rocks on the interstate, one bounced over and took out the Honda Sense radar on the car. Even with pictures of the load and DOT number from the truck they won't help recover my deductible from trucking company. So not holding out hope they will help me here.
Sponsored