Sponsored

Am I crazy for thinking I want a Gladiator?

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I didn't know about max tow when I got mine so I made sure it had the limited slip, HD cooling, and bigger alternator. Mine has everything except the 4.10 ratio (5.13 now) and wide axles. Other than towing, do the axles help with anything else?
Ability to fit 35's without a lift.
Sponsored

BringTheLightnin

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport
Mine came with the Mopar lift and 35s so not a big deal I suppose. Just didn't know if they had any uses other than towing. Particularly off road or handling on road wise. Will be going to 37s next time though. Debating keeping the lift and changing to Rubi fenders or keeping the fenders and doing a bigger lift.

loganjeeps

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JT Rubicon, 96 Chevy 3500, 89 XJ (project)
Everybody has personal preferences but I'll chime in as a new JT owner less than 60 days in. For what I was after, I love it and now wonder why I didn't get one sooner.

I've owned Jeeps my whole life, multiple XJs, a WK, a WK2, a LJ (breifly). My daily driver at time of purchase was a WK2 passed down by my wife. Every time I looked at a Wrangler I couldn't get over the lack of functional cargo space, the WK2 being a luxury SUV could haul my camping gear better. I wanted to get back into a manual tranmission for a daily driver and needed it to be less than 5 yeas old. Not many options out there in general for that but the JT checked all the boxes for utility and capability. I find it to hit the sweet spot for general purpose vehicle, fun features, and capable trail rig. I was also surpised by the backseat space as comfortable for older kids and even adults. It's not a 2 door wrangler that can get through tiny switchbacks and its not 1 ton diesel pickup to haul a 5th wheel camper but does just about everything else.

Anyone who gets any Jeep is a little crazy because you keep wanting to spend money on it to make it cooler :LOL:

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
I think my vote would be to ditch the Maverick and the Charger 💩 Pack.

controller

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Computers
I went from performance minded cars, to convertibles, to motorcycles. As I got older, the need to go fast was replaced by wanting to enjoy the ride. For me, that meant being in the open air and motorcycles gave me that. With the family, it was wanting to get back in the open air, and that meant a convertible, but also needing to get through a Chicago winter (though this one so far has been mild). The gladiator is fun in a "not in any hurry" kind of way. Take the top off, the doors off, and just enjoy being outdoors in a truck that puts you in the wind. My daughter is in love with the Jeep and its ability to see the outdoors and not through a window.

As far as the driving dynamics, I agree, it's so bad it's good. And what I've learned, drives like a truck on dry pavement, but has the same manners on wet and the little bit of snow we've had.

Sponsored

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
To give you some back story I have always been more of a performance car guy. I've always liked having a lot of horses and always wanted more. I work hard to keep my cars spotless and car show ready. Over the last couple years I guess you could say I've matured and I have less desire to go fast. I have a Charger Scat Pack that I love but have found myself driving it less and less since I got my Maverick last year. It was my first truck(I know its no technically a truck) and I like not having to worry about scrapping or freaking out over any little rock chip or scratch because I tell myself its just a truck and and it should have some signs of being used for truck things.

Last year I took my wifes car in for some work at the dealership and they had a Gladiator Rubicon on the lot. Just killing time while they worked on her car I took it for a test drive. It had the 3 piece hard top so I took the front panels off and took it for a little cruise. I absolutely loved it almost in a it drives so bad its fun kind of way. It was a lot slower than the Maverick and was like snail compared to the Charger but I didn't care. Just driving it normally was a fun time.

Since then, I haven't been able to get the Gladiator out of my mind. When I take the Charger out for a drive and get stuck behind traffic and can never send it it feels like a wasted drive to me and I'm thinking if I was cruising in a Gladiator with the roof off I would just be enjoying the drive regardless of speed.

I'm worried though that if I go through with it I will regret it once the novelty wears off and Ill always kick myself for getting rid of the Charger. I have thought keeping the Maverick as a daily and getting a 2 door wrangler as a fun toy but I am over the time and money spent on maintaining 2 cars, (3 really since I handle all the maintenance of my wife's car)

Has anyone here been in the same shoes as me and swapped a fast car for a Gladiator? Any regrets? I don't really see myself doing anything extreme off road so i think as cool as the Rubicon and Mojave are, they would be wasted money for me. I'm strongly considering an Overland or a Max Tow to get the Rubicon gearing.

What do you all think? Is the gladiator for me or is this just a case of the grass always being greener?
Black Sapphire Convertible BMW M Turbo….4 second 0-60….. traded in for Gladiator. No regrets.

Iamstubb

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
To give you some back story I have always been more of a performance car guy. I've always liked having a lot of horses and always wanted more. I work hard to keep my cars spotless and car show ready. Over the last couple years I guess you could say I've matured and I have less desire to go fast. I have a Charger Scat Pack that I love but have found myself driving it less and less since I got my Maverick last year. It was my first truck(I know its no technically a truck) and I like not having to worry about scrapping or freaking out over any little rock chip or scratch because I tell myself its just a truck and and it should have some signs of being used for truck things.

Last year I took my wifes car in for some work at the dealership and they had a Gladiator Rubicon on the lot. Just killing time while they worked on her car I took it for a test drive. It had the 3 piece hard top so I took the front panels off and took it for a little cruise. I absolutely loved it almost in a it drives so bad its fun kind of way. It was a lot slower than the Maverick and was like snail compared to the Charger but I didn't care. Just driving it normally was a fun time.

Since then, I haven't been able to get the Gladiator out of my mind. When I take the Charger out for a drive and get stuck behind traffic and can never send it it feels like a wasted drive to me and I'm thinking if I was cruising in a Gladiator with the roof off I would just be enjoying the drive regardless of speed.

I'm worried though that if I go through with it I will regret it once the novelty wears off and Ill always kick myself for getting rid of the Charger. I have thought keeping the Maverick as a daily and getting a 2 door wrangler as a fun toy but I am over the time and money spent on maintaining 2 cars, (3 really since I handle all the maintenance of my wife's car)

Has anyone here been in the same shoes as me and swapped a fast car for a Gladiator? Any regrets? I don't really see myself doing anything extreme off road so i think as cool as the Rubicon and Mojave are, they would be wasted money for me. I'm strongly considering an Overland or a Max Tow to get the Rubicon gearing.

What do you all think? Is the gladiator for me or is this just a case of the grass always being greener?

I've got a Scat Pack widebody Challenger, A Charger GT blacktop, and a Gladiator Rubicon (also a 2004 Sebring convertible, another story). Toughest part of my day is deciding which one to take to work. Each has its own charms. I don't regret for a minute having any of those vehicles. I love the V8 visceral sound and performance. The Charger is a great road trip car. The Jeep is plain fun and useful. I don't go over 70 in the Jeep. I don't go under 70 in the Challenger. If I'm going over 70 miles, it is the Charger (unless it involves camping and off-road driving, or long open highways where I can hit it). Each gets me where I am going with a big smile on my face. I've driven the Gladiator on long offroad trips, icy and snow-covered roads through remote mountains, and recently through flooded highways in LA. I am glad I have it. Even if you are a performance car guy, you'll enjoy the Gladiator.

Last edited:

badger719

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
I have the regular factory tow package with the standard axles and 3.73 gearing.

35s work fine on my factory wheels with zero rubbing. So no, Max Tow isn't necessary for that application.

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
Came here from all kinds of fun cars. Z06 vette, fully built supra, evo, etc. I love having a truck too though. These days I dont really care much about fast, but I am loving every bit of my jeep still and I have a truck to boot. 3 years in now and no regrets. Sport max tow here as well.

arskemp

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Sarge Green Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
IT
The Maverick seems like the one to let go. If you have the Gladiator and the Charger, the Maverick doesn't really bring anything to the table that the other two don't cover.

Full disclosure though, my wife's car is an ND Miata that we autocross and track, so I still get a chance to let my pavement demons loose.
This is the way. My wife normally drives the JT and I drive an NC Miata that I autocross and take to the track.

Sponsored

J-GriffsGlad

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Geologist
I'm on the opposite end of you in a sense that I've typically had both ('fast' car and a Jeep) and never thought the performance was as fun as a Jeep (particularly a soft top 2 door wrangler #OMF-heaven). I've owned a Porsche Cayman S, BMW 335d (twin turbo diesel), Turbo Audi TT and we currently have a Mini Cooper Turbo Type S ALL4. They're fun, but "go anywhere, relaxed driving" only happens when you can easily and quickly get to convertible in an insanely capable vehicle. Another thing I love is something you mentioned, the crowd / stigma and cost of the vehicle. If my Porsche wasn't spotless OR god forbid gets a door ding, I'm sick to my stomach. If my wife backs into a rock wall and smashes my Jeep? Eh, shit happens. They don't have that "oh shit" expensive feel (even though top end Jeep models have gotten outrageously priced I guess lol).

MonkeySkunks

First Name
Nik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2016 Odyssey
I absolutely loved it almost in a it drives so bad its fun kind of way.
This 100%. For 5 years prior to the JT I was in a GTI. JT felt like driving a beat up old farm truck from the 70s.

1.5 years in on the JT and it's still absolutely a blast to drive not going anywhere fast and just enjoying the trip.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I have the regular factory tow package with the standard axles and 3.73 gearing.

35s work fine on my factory wheels with zero rubbing. So no, Max Tow isn't necessary for that application.
Same result when you disconnect the sway bars? Why do axles help push the tires up into the wheel wells unless you have wheels with equivalent offset.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer

I have a full build SBE Tahoe PPV and since I bought my Mojave I think I have only driven it 3 times.

The Gladiator will keep you engaged....they're adult Lego sets, you get board....modify it.

I would recommend you go test drive a Mojave before you buy, trust me. I have a JLUR and my JTM; night and day difference in the handling and road manners

geneinhouston

First Name
gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys Ed. in PitchBlack
Occupation
Photographer/Travel Manager/Blue October promotions (best friends band!)
i will say the same that pretty much else everyone else has said...
the Jeep Gladiator is a super fun drive. I just love it so much...it's the only vehicle that i have ever owned that makes me feel like i have the coolest toy ever haha.
once you get your hard top jeep i definitely recommend getting the @Bestop Sunrider! It makes the jeep twice as fun in my opinion! anyway...get the dang Jeep Gladiator that way you have all these awesome people on this forum to entice you to spend money endlessly on modifications ;) and give you great advice and more!
Sponsored